Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
May 31, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #2,177 of 2,480
I liked but didn't love the iFi Micro. Certainly wouldn't put it in the same class as the regular Concero much less Concero HD. That's just me though, I know some people go crazy for the iFi gear so clearly there's something appealing there.

I do have to point out the difference in marketing between Resonessence and iFi.... couldn't be further apart from one another. iFi spends a lot of time telling you how good their gear is, making a very compelling case for it to sound amazing. Resonessence explains their tech and why it works but it's not flashy and ultimately they trust their customers to come to their own conclusions. Not saying one approach is better than the other but it is clearly different and possibly contributes to the hype and popularity of each brand.

Jun 1, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #2,178 of 2,480

sounds interesting... where did you read this?

I've read it in a couple of places, one of them being a thread here at Head-Fi, which goes into some detail.

Project86, that's good feedback, thanks. I'm just wondering if the new power supply, or the new version of iFi's product has made it an even closer competition with the Concero. I agree the Concero is incredible, and I've never heard an iFi DAC actually. I just own the iPhono and can attest to its greatness, so it makes me wonder about the DACs.

Jun 2, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #2,179 of 2,480
I can say from experience that adding an iUSB Power (not the v3) with the ConceroHD made noticeable improvement by lowering the noise floor.

Jun 2, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #2,181 of 2,480
The iPurifier (v1) increased background noise and blurred the sound in my case with the ConceroHD.  With the Schiit Bifrost Multibit I can tell no effect.

Jun 5, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #2,183 of 2,480
I really like the Resonessence Labs sound, and I couldn't be happier with my Concero HD. Their upcoming Veritas DAC sounds mighty interesting. It has the new ESS Sabre ES9028PRO chip. At $2850, it is significantly more expensive, but I am willing to give it a try...

Jun 5, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #2,186 of 2,480
I don't know what DAC they use, and I agree the front is bordering on "too busy". I hated their old Stereo192 model but hear good things about their new Manhattan DAC, so perhaps Brooklyn will be good too. It seems like they and Resonessence are matching each other (roughly) in price on their new models, probably on purpose. 

Jun 5, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #2,187 of 2,480
Agreed. I also don't like it when they try to cram too many features on one chassis. I could do without the phono stage and headphone amp. The display with output level meters appear to be too distracting , IMHO.

Jun 6, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #2,188 of 2,480
I've read somewhere else that the Brooklyn DAC uses ESS-Chip Sabre 9018K2M

Jun 6, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #2,189 of 2,480
I really hope they make a hp version with rca outs. Sold both my concero units recently and having withdrawls already. :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back