Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
Jun 7, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #1,773 of 2,480
You like what you like - no argument there, and no talking you out of it if that's how you feel. 

That said, O2/ODAC evangelists usually follow this logic: The Objective gear measures better than this other stuff, so it must sound better. If the other gear actually measures better, well, then that's beyond the scope of human comprehension anyway. So it's a waste of money. It's a nice, tight logic that doesn't allow for anything else to make sense. Just buy an O2/ODAC, dammit! 

That approach leaves no room for subjective interpretation. You don't like the Objective stuff? You must be listening wrong, or maybe you prefer what must be obvious coloration. Which is fine, as long as you admit that it isn't true to the source. 

So when you say the Concero HP sounds inferior, it's a bit different from the norm. We then have to conclude that either 1) Resonessence is lying about their specs or doing some other trickery, or 2) the whole Objective philosophy is not really accurate, and there is actually some room for subjective interpretation after all. 

Jun 7, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #1,774 of 2,480
I'm not either an objectivist or subjectivist.  You can say I'm in between.  I value what I'm hearing foremost.  ODAC/O2 drew my interest initially, but lost it when I had to drive my HE-6 as I got a Beta 22.  I know difference between specs and how well something is driven. I use specs to find out certain aspects that are grounded when it comes to how the signal reacts.  When it comes to graphs and numbers, for DACs it's not very telling, but in some instances it's useful.  

Jun 7, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #1,775 of 2,480
  I'm not either an objectivist or subjectivist.  You can say I'm in between.

We have something in common then! Seriously, that's a good approach. If you don't like the Concero HP then you don't like it - period. Nothing wrong with that.

Whenever I dislike something that otherwise measures well or supposedly sounds nice according to a friend, I usually put it aside for a bit, then come back later for a second chance. Sometimes it works out well, other times it doesn't. For example, I continued to hate the Musical Fidelity M1 DAC despite my many attempts to enjoy it. If I were you I'd mess with the filters on the HP, maybe try a few other headphones to see if I could find a trend..... but if you still hate it then so be it. 

Jun 11, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #1,776 of 2,480
Hi all, 
Been a while since I've been around here - moved and started a new job, so less time for music than usual.  Plugged the Concero and Stax in a few days ago and have been enjoying them since! Still a huge fan of the IIR filter, too.
Sam 

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #1,777 of 2,480
Guys,

i'm on the fence.

Original Concero, condition new for 549€?
or Concero HD, also new for 779€?

does it make a difference? or better say which one is the better deal for their price?

Jun 13, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #1,778 of 2,480
  Guys,

i'm on the fence.

Original Concero, condition new for 549€?
or Concero HD, also new for 779€?

does it make a difference? or better say which one is the better deal for their price?

Depends on what you're looking for. Do you want a really good DAC that doesn't cost a fortune but sounds excellent? Or do you want to push it to get the absolute best you can afford, even if it means spending a bit more? The HD is generally "worth it" to my ears but the original is still very enjoyable, so there's absolutely nothing wrong with buying that one and redirecting the savings to some other component.

For example, if buying the Concero HD meant you'd have to go for a middling headphone like a K712 or T90, but going with original Concero allowed you to go LCD-2 or HD800 - I'd rather spend less on the DAC and more on the headphones. Hopefully that makes sense. 

Jun 13, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #1,779 of 2,480
Would like to give Mark/Resonessence a customer service shout-out, had an issue with my HD and dealing with them to get it repaired was pretty much ideal. Now not only do I have a DAC that sounds great, I also have a DAC from a company that I'm fully confident in... which, given how I lust after the Invicta and Herus, could be bad for the ol' wallet...

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #1,780 of 2,480

Depends on what you're looking for. Do you want a really good DAC that doesn't cost a fortune but sounds excellent? Or do you want to push it to get the absolute best you can afford, even if it means spending a bit more? The HD is generally "worth it" to my ears but the original is still very enjoyable, so there's absolutely nothing wrong with buying that one and redirecting the savings to some other component.

For example, if buying the Concero HD meant you'd have to go for a middling headphone like a K712 or T90, but going with original Concero allowed you to go LCD-2 or HD800 - I'd rather spend less on the DAC and more on the headphones. Hopefully that makes sense. 

That makes total sense project86.
Fortunately i'm in a situation where i already have headphones i like, the Hifiman HE-500. I will decide after some thinking because in the end i have to make the decision by myself.
Thanks for your input project86. But i will definitely write back here in this thread when i get the device.

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #1,781 of 2,480
  That makes total sense project86.
Fortunately i'm in a situation where i already have headphones i like, the Hifiman HE-500. I will decide after some thinking because in the end i have to make the decision by myself.
Thanks for your input project86. But i will definitely write back here in this thread when i get the device.

The Concero sounds great with my HE-500. It's not the last word in detail, the ESS9018 can extract more, but its got a very well balanced sound and presentation that gets out of the way of the HE-500. It's tough to find a DAC at this price level that does most things well. The portability is also a great plus. Mine doubles as a USB->SPDIF converter for my home theatre.

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #1,782 of 2,480
the 9018m2 of concero hd is not the last word in detail too, compared to the 9018 of the burson conductor
i m using it as a converter to the burson/audeze and just dac for my living hifi/speaker setup due to his portability and it pretty amazing

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #1,783 of 2,480
@daerron
Thats alright with me, i'm not totally into detail retrieval but a well balanced Dac and your description of it sounds very nice. I mean i had the Audinst Mx1 for a long time and enjoyed the sound of it and i'm sure the Audinst isn't a detail monster.

Jun 14, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #1,784 of 2,480
The only negative I've read across many reviews of the Concero (non-HD version) is that it has less "heft", "weight", "meat", or "body" compared to some other DACs.  I'm curious as to whether anyone here feels this is true.  I might get one to do a comparison with the NAD D 1050 next week.  It's close enough in price to the NAD that I could keep it and return the NAD if I liked it better.

Jun 15, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #1,785 of 2,480
  The only negative I've read across many reviews of the Concero (non-HD version) is that it has less "heft", "weight", "meat", or "body" compared to some other DACs.  I'm curious as to whether anyone here feels this is true.  I might get one to do a comparison with the NAD D 1050 next week.  It's close enough in price to the NAD that I could keep it and return the NAD if I liked it better.

I'm not quite sure where you read that. You can do some serious damage if you toss the Concero at somebody. It's got a milled aluminium chassis and feels very hefty for the size. The sound is more hefty than you would expect considering the Concero's size. I have heard DACs with greater dynamics and meatier mids and better detail retrieval, but the best thing about the Concero is the cohesiveness from top to bottom and it has quite a lively sound. There is nothing that sounds out of place which is rare at the price. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back