Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
May 3, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #1,741 of 2,480
i'll answer since i had direct experience between the two

Yulong DA8 DAC only is far superior to the Concero HD, the soundstage of the DA8 is amazingly wide, i'd play tracks where I thought instruments were coming from behind me 5 meters away, then i'd play the same track with the Concero HD and i'd hear the same instruments playing in my left ear only, both were connected to my V200.
I kept the Concero HD in the end because the USB implementation is better for my needs.

Thank you belisk for the help.

What about overall transparency, detail, and clarity?

May 3, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #1,742 of 2,480
i'm not very good with conveying what i hear, but most of what project86 has said about the DA8 and HD i agree with, both are highly transparent, but what i distinctively remember about comparing the two, was the DA8 was wide and smooth, changing over to the HD felt boxed in.
what i didn't like about the DA8, was its amp, it was rather weak with the HD800, and its USB chip didn't agree with my computer
the HD on the other hand can handle anything i throw at it.
hope that helps

May 3, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #1,743 of 2,480
Has anyone moved on to using the Concero HD or HP as a USB converter to another DAC?  I thought the original Concero did very well in this regard and I emailed RL to ask if the slight improvements with the hardware multiplexer would also apply to the digital output and he said yes.  Though I realize at $850 new, the price may be overkill for use as strictly a converter.  Hence why I'm getting the HP, since it can double as a travel setup.

I'm hoping to eventually try the ifi iDSD Mini when it's released since I've liked their Micro series so much.  If I can afford to buy it and keep the Concero HP at the same time I may try it as a converter, although their USB implementation seems to be decent on it's own.

May 3, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #1,744 of 2,480
The standard Concero does great when used as USB->SPDIF converter to my AVR, compared to the digital inputs from the Apple TV and bluray player, but I wouldn't say it's $600 worth as a converter only, but does show the versatility in a good light. I wouldn't consider the HD for the role especially considering the expensive price, but the HP would be a good choice as it doubles as a headphone amp, so considerably ups the value equation.

May 3, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #1,745 of 2,480
  The standard Concero does great when used as USB->SPDIF converter to my AVR, compared to the digital inputs from the Apple TV and bluray player, but I wouldn't say it's $600 worth as a converter only, but does show the versatility in a good light. I wouldn't consider the HD for the role especially considering the expensive price, but the HP would be a good choice as it doubles as a headphone amp, so considerably ups the value equation.

As mentioned way earlier in the thread, I used the standard Concero with the PS Audio Nuwave and it corrected a lot of the odd quirks about it's sound.  What I like best is not just the raw performance, compared to others, but that you can still use the filters when using as a converter.  And I like that with the HP you can switch the filters without the remote.

I still plan to use the HP as a DAC also once I repair my main amp.  I don't think the headphone output will present a problem at 3.5v.  The Wadia 121 I've owned has the option of a 4v output at the RCA jacks and I felt it did well with external amps.

May 4, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #1,747 of 2,480
i asked to my girlfriend to try my system and give me her point of view yesterday
she knows that i m addicted to audio, but she doesn t know the gears
she has a very good ear and she likes mostly any kind of music  very much . like me
this because i would like to sell my concero hd to optime and cause i think that it s a bit too expansive to use just as a converter only
so i started to shift from Conductor tenor usb to concero converter
she always preferred with the conceroHD 
frown.gif

i asked: do you think it worth 850 dollar
the answer, after a while: yes , i think it worth!
mad.gif

now i will try to put the new CM usb module and check if the difference is a bit less

May 11, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #1,748 of 2,480
  Hi guys! Just picked up this tasty little DAC, for my Office system. I've always wanted to try it; and so far...I'm pretty impressed, for the price point.

But I have a question, and I'm not getting much help...over at Computer Audiophile. There's a nice following of this DAC here...so I'm sure you guys can help.

Being as the DAC runs on USB power...and I'm using s/pdif (for now anyway); just to get 'er up and running...I'm using the power port for my phone charger. But this unit seems like the perfect candidate...for some battery power!

I am just getting my feet wet, with that kind of stuff...with regard to my latest C.A.P.S. build; so...any suggestions, as to what should work? I guess...with my limited knowledge...I'm thinking something like this?

http://www.ianker.com/product/79AN7902-YA

But what are the differences, between the 3 models (in other words...how does the amperage rating, effect things as far as this use)?

http://www.ianker.com/product/79AN7903S-BA

http://www.ianker.com/product/79AN7904S-WA

Thanks for any and all help.

Just thought I'd update with some pics. Pardon my dust; moving things around in the Office a bit.
redface.gif

May 11, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #1,750 of 2,480

Just thought I'd update with some pics. Pardon my dust; moving things around in the Office a bit.
redface.gif

I think I read somewhere on HF that using either an ifi iusb power or another battery powered device did not make an appreciable improvement. with the Concero,  Search here on Headfi and I am sure you will find some info in that vein.

May 11, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #1,751 of 2,480
  I think I read somewhere on HF that using either an ifi iusb power or another battery powered device did not make an appreciable improvement. with the Concero,  Search here on Headfi and I am sure you will find some info in that vein.

Yes, I forwarned him of that.  I am still using mine with it though.  I have noticed a slight improvement (as much as I hate to admit it) using iFi's iPurifier on the USB line.  It is very subtle though, and could be within the margin for psychological error.  This is while using my battery also, so maybe my PC just has some really dirty power.

By the way, I've been using my Concero HP now for several days and have been extremely impressed.  Especially with the headphone amp section.  I personally like the headphone out better than the Anedio D1's.  It kind of splits the difference between the iFi stack, and the Anedio as far as musical signature.

May 11, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #1,753 of 2,480

Yes, I forwarned him of that.  I am still using mine with it though.  I have noticed a slight improvement (as much as I hate to admit it) using iFi's iPurifier on the USB line.  It is very subtle though, and could be within the margin for psychological error.  This is while using my battery also, so maybe my PC just has some really dirty power.

By the way, I've been using my Concero HP now for several days and have been extremely impressed.  Especially with the headphone amp section.  I personally like the headphone out better than the Anedio D1's.  It kind of splits the difference between the iFi stack, and the Anedio as far as musical signature.

Oh c'mon; tell me the last tweak, that cost you $30...and you were actually able to shrug your shoulders and say "who knows; maybe it's a little better"
tongue.gif

May 11, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #1,754 of 2,480

Oh c'mon; tell me the last tweak, that cost you $30...and you were actually able to shrug your shoulders and say "who knows; maybe it's a little better"
tongue.gif

not sure what you are asking? If you are asking if some $30 or less tweaks didn't work in my system, absolutely. I don't use "who knows", it either is or isn't.  I am not afraid to admit it if I cannot definitively hear a difference when trying a tweak.  

eg.  EVS rca ground enhancers, for one, along with a number of other tweaks that cost more and less.

May 12, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #1,755 of 2,480
  not sure what you are asking? If you are asking if some $30 or less tweaks didn't work in my system, absolutely. I don't use "who knows", it either is or isn't.  I am not afraid to admit it if I cannot definitively hear a difference when trying a tweak.  

eg.  EVS rca ground enhancers, for one, along with a number of other tweaks that cost more and less.

What is going on here?!?!?!? I'm shocked and appalled!!! If you've ever visited the Audiogon forums or especially Audio Asylum, you'd know that ALL tweaks result in improvements. 100% of the time. Period. 

If you aren't careful, you'll have your Audiophile card revoked. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back