Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
Mar 24, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #2,026 of 2,480
Got a question.
What setting you guys would recommend, should i choose Analog Output (S/PDIF turned off) or Power on State (Both Analog output and S/PDIF enabled)
Does it really matter i mean i have usb enabled in both configs so what would be the point of it?

thanks

Mar 24, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #2,027 of 2,480

Great review.  I totally agree on it's synergy with the HD800.  I've had the HP for about a year now, mostly with the AKG K712 and recently picked up an HD800 again (2nd time owning).  The HP really gives you a good idea of what the HD800 is capable of, without overly accentuating it's treble tilt.  The only thing I would disagree with is using it with the LCD-X.  At a recent meet, I got to try the X, 3F, and EL-8 with the HP and out of the three, the X seemed noticeably congested sounding out of the Concero.  Not a hit on it by any means.  I just think it has trouble supplying the current to the 22 ohm load.  The LCD-3F (Vegan Pads) however, sounded phenomenal with it.  The EL-8 was nice too, but a little aggressive in the upper mids for my tastes.

Thanks! I was so impressed with it, I bought the review unit...it's the perfect work desktop unit...takes up very little space and drives most of my headphones and IEMs. I didn't mention in the review, but the Concero HP + JH Layla's = audio bliss!

agreed! it dirves my Grados, tralucent 1+2 iems, and even the Beyer T1 sounds good outta it. You mentioned in your review the pairing with the PS1000e, well it sounds good with the Ps1000 too! 
wink_face.gif

Mar 24, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #2,028 of 2,480

agreed! it dirves my Grados, tralucent 1+2 iems, and even the Beyer T1 sounds good outta it. You mentioned in your review the pairing with the PS1000e, well it sounds good with the Ps1000 too! 
wink_face.gif

Seeing how similar the PS1000e and PS1000 are, I'm not surprised. The Concero HP is a keeper IMO!

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #2,029 of 2,480
My Concero HD died on me yesterday. I had fired up my vintage tubed Marantz rig and was getting ready to listen to some tunes when I noticed the center LED was out. I tried restarting my computer and using different USB ports to no avail. I even swapped USB cables. Total failure.

It was working superbly a week ago when I last used it. Never had a glitch with it until now.

I bought it last May for full retail from an authorized dealer. Brand new.

I have just contacted Resonessence Labs support via email for an RMA. Hate to ship this thing all the way to Canada at my expense. They only pay for return shipping.

I wonder why an USB dac would fail this way. Flaky USB chips?

I had thought solid state technology, specially in USB low voltage devices such as this, was as reliable as it gets. Guess not.

My earlier DAC, a Meridian Explorer, also failed right before the 1 year mark.

The Concero is more than twice the $$$. I was hoping reliability would improve compared to the Meridian.

It's amazing to note that my vintage tube equipment is actually more reliable than these modern digital devices!!

Mar 31, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #2,030 of 2,480
Haven't heard  back from Resonessence Labs Customer service yet. I sent my message more than 8 hours ago. I know they have a phone number, but I am very busy at work and email is the most convenient way for me. By the way, in the company I work for, customer service strives to answer all emails within 1 business day of receiving them. In most cases the staff here replies within minutes... I'll keep patiently waiting....

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #2,031 of 2,480
They are typically very fast with replies - often from the CEO himself. Hang in there, I'm sure they will take care of you.

Everything has a failure rate of >0. Everything. It's unfortunate, but true. I have a ton of gear come through here and every once in a while something just fails for seemingly no reason at all. It's frustrating, but I guess just luck of the draw.

For what it's worth I don't hear of issues with the Resonessence stuff very often, and again the customer service is known to be quite helpful. 

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #2,033 of 2,480
Thanks guys!
Hopefully I'll hear from them tomorrow.

It's gonna be frustrating to be without the DAC while it's being repaired. I am so used to the convenience and sound quality of computer audio.

I even pressed my classic 1983 Marantz CD63 top loader CD player back into service, but unfortunately it has some hum issues due to dried up caps in the power supply. Oh well!

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #2,037 of 2,480
It looks like some Ethernet to USB transport?

Apr 4, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #2,039 of 2,480
Didn't they say they have 2 products in the pipeline to show soon? The first one in April?
I don't want to spread wrong infos so take this with a grain of salt.

Apr 4, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #2,040 of 2,480
I am about to purchase the concero HP for my PS1000e. Is there no usb latency? I plan on watching movies/gaming with it.
Also do you think i may consider some other dac/amp or dac+amp which isn't very hard to move from a room to a room?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back