Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
Apr 11, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #2,056 of 2,480
Do you have really, really sensitive hearing?

nah! 
tongue_smile.gif

jk!

sorry to hear your having trouble there. I bought a used concero HP and no problems here. Hope you get it sorted out. maybe update the firmware would help?

Apr 11, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #2,057 of 2,480

Very audible? Strange. You may want to contact R-Labs. The HP does have periodic noise that seems like transformer noise, but it's ultra-faint (audible only with very sensitive IEMs when not playing any music), and I've never experienced it getting faster or slower in frequency. Do you have really, really sensitive hearing?

Periodic noise sounds like what I was trying to describe. I am running the Concero through a pair of FitEar Parterre. Initially I thought the issue to be one of sensitivity, so I tried two other pairs of earphones. But the noise was present on both. Could be what you described - periodic noise when no music is playing.

Here's the situation. I turn on the device, plug my earphones in, noise is present. No music playing. If I change the filter (magenta), it gets faster in frequency. It doesn't go back. As soon as I play a song, it disappears. But as soon as the piano key strikes, the noise comes back - and remains present for majority of the song. For example, playing 'clair de lune', I can hear the noise 'enveloping' most keys. I would think my ears are average?

I'm just wondering if this is normal.

Apr 11, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #2,060 of 2,480
  Periodic noise sounds like what I was trying to describe. I am running the Concero through a pair of FitEar Parterre. Initially I thought the issue to be one of sensitivity, so I tried two other pairs of earphones. But the noise was present on both. Could be what you described - periodic noise when no music is playing.  
Here's the situation. I turn on the device, plug my earphones in, noise is present. No music playing. If I change the filter (magenta), it gets faster in frequency. It doesn't go back. As soon as I play a song, it disappears. But as soon as the piano key strikes, the noise comes back - and remains present for majority of the song. For example, playing 'clair de lune', I can hear the noise 'enveloping' most keys. I would think my ears are average?

I'm just wondering if this is normal.

The noise on mine is really faint. The Parterre are pretty darn sensitive, because the 1723TW03/9 inside doesn't have any passive componentry added to it, but it shouldn't be any more sensitive than my CustomArt Music Two, which uses the exact same drivers, and while I can hear the periodic noise with the Music Two plugged in with no music playing, it's not as loud as it seems you're indicating, and I don't hear a drastic change in frequency when the DF is switched from linear FIR to Apodizing or MP IIR. I will verify later, though.

Either there's something wrong with the noise filtering of your HP unit itself, or you have very, very sensitive ears. Though 'Clair de Lune' is about as black space a piece as there comes, I can't imagine the noise coming through across notes.

Apr 11, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #2,061 of 2,480
  Though 'Clair de Lune' is about as black space a piece as there comes, I can't imagine the noise coming through across notes.

I agree, because I don't hear the noise coming through on my MacBook's DAC. I also doubt it's a track issue, because the noise is present on other soft piano tracks as well. And I must note that it is never a single constant noise, if that makes sense. It changes depending on what is being played in the song.

In any case, do let me know when you have tested it with a sensitive pair of IEMs. May be reassuring to hear the results.

I appreciate the responses. Thanks.

Apr 11, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #2,062 of 2,480
  I agree, because I don't hear the noise coming through on my MacBook's DAC. I also doubt it's a track issue, because the noise is present on other soft piano tracks as well. And I must note that it is never a single constant noise, if that makes sense. It changes depending on what is being played in the song. In any case, do let me know when you have tested it with a sensitive pair of IEMs. May be reassuring to hear the results. I appreciate the responses. Thanks.

The HP has lower residual noise (~3.5 uV) than the vast majority of USB DACs. I think you should definitely contact Resonessence to see what's going on, regardless of what I find.

@project86, have you encountered this issue before?

Apr 11, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #2,064 of 2,480
You would need a USB cable running from the Concero to a wall adapter like those used to charge phones, to power the Concero while using it's coax input. I don't think the dx90 usb would power it but I can't say for sure. It may even attempt to recognize its usb as a data input and disable the coax input. I think there is a way to bypass that but I can't remember. You'd have to check the manuals on their website.

A usb battery (like Anker) will work. You may have to tape off all the pins except for the power line but i dont think its necessary. The coax input would be a pain to use otherwise.

Apr 11, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #2,065 of 2,480

The HP has lower residual noise (~3.5 uV) than the vast majority of USB DACs. I think you should definitely contact Resonessence to see what's going on, regardless of what I find.

@project86, have you encountered this issue before?

Can't say that I've ever experienced anything like what he's describing.

Question for darknation - what are you playing when you hear this? Is it Tidal or some other streaming service? Or just FLAC files?

Apr 11, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #2,066 of 2,480
  Hey guys,

I recently purchased a Concero HP. Solid build quality and everything, but I'm experiencing weird - for lack of a better word - noise issues.

This isn't the usual background hiss that I get from my MacBook Air's DAC, which is quiet and constant, increasing or decreasing in volume when I change settings. What I'm hearing is noise that presents itself in intervals that become shorter (faster) when I change filters via the unit. It also doesn't become softer or louder with a volume change. And it doesn't go away when I mute the device through software.

The noise is very audible on softer tracks (e.g. classical piano) but disappears with most louder tracks.

I'm out of options. I will appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Try unplugging the AC power cord from your MacBook.

Apr 12, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #2,067 of 2,480

Try unplugging the AC power cord from your MacBook.

Initially I thought it was power interference as well. Didn't fix the issue.

Can't say that I've ever experienced anything like what he's describing.

Question for darknation - what are you playing when you hear this? Is it Tidal or some other streaming service? Or just FLAC files?

I'm playing off Audirvana+ (2.0.10). FLAC files. Again, I don't think it's a problem with the track. I've noted other similar quiet music having the same issue.

Either the amp is so good at detail retrieval that it is picking up the noise on the tracks (which the DAC on my MB cannot detect) - or there is a sensitivity issue with the Parterre. I will be ordering a new pair of headphones in the next few days to determine which it is. I highly doubt the fault is with the amp, although I guess I can't be 100% sure.

In any case, will report my findings once I receive them.

Apr 12, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #2,068 of 2,480
@darknation, I tried the HP with my Music Two and while yes, I could detect the noise, it was very faint. Now that I tested the cycle-through, I did notice a change in the noise frequency cycling through different filters, but the noise got softer as I cycled through, actually, which was interesting. I fired up 'Clair de Lune', and I couldn't notice the noise at all --- the noise floor of the recording itself was higher.

So once again, either you have very sensitive ears (possible), or your HP has an issue.

Apr 29, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #2,069 of 2,480
What manner of witchcraft is this?

I always assumed bass response was related to the amplifier and/or headphones.

I just replaced my desktop source with a Concero HD. I have never heard my Pico Power and Noble 4 combo hit this low with this much tonality and impact.

Apr 29, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #2,070 of 2,480
What manner of witchcraft is this?

I always assumed bass response was related to the amplifier and/or headphones.

I just replaced my desktop source with a Concero HD. I have never heard my Pico Power and Noble 4 combo hit this low with this much tonality and impact.
[/quot

contrary to popular belief, source quality is the most important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back