1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Relatively cheap headphone measuring kit?

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by takato14, May 21, 2013.
First

Back
1 2 3
  1. castleofargh Contributor
    my proposition was just to put several measurements onto one graph. you measure how you want and illustrate them accordingly. if it's only 3 graphs, then things are still relatively easy to interpret.
    but having a standard for 3 positions when we can't even agree on one, I'm not optimistic.

2. SilverEars
    Just out of curiosity, is there any papers or sources that shows or discribes to us variations of ear canal geometry? I'm curious if there was a study that scanned good number of them for getting data of general trend of people's canal geometry.

3. Sonic Defender Contributor
    I also imagine that with computer assisted design/analysis, it would be possible to virtually recreate every possible ear canal geometry so that one measure could then be used to create a graph for as many ear canal geometries as possible. I'll bet in the future people will be able to pay a reasonable fee to have their ear canal geometry analyzed and use that information to assess headphones/speakers which can then be software analysis matched to the results or vice versa.

I am sure that I am missing many factors, but I can't help but think in general there really aren't too many (considering computer processing ability) possible ear canal geometries and this type of personalized information could be available.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    CoiL likes this.
  4. SilverEars
    I think so too. Last I've seen company like Utimate Ears had a tool to scan the ear canal, and they got various people's scans.

You just need a good correlation algorithm that link ear canal geometry variation to EQ.

Also for full-sized, ear shape variations has to be studied closely as well.

CoiL likes this.
  5. Sonic Defender Contributor
    Absolutely. Many of us, certainly me as I just turned 51, are too old, but future generations of audiophiles will almost certainly be able to find out their personal hearing geometry and correlate it to a best predicted speaker/headphone match (assuming for instance that neutrality is the target, or perhaps Harman).

I can see how this could be turned into a solid business opportunity in the not to distant future. For instance, hearing aid manufacturers may already actually have/use computer models that take into account the many possible ear canal geometries which might enable a company to license the data to use for the type of software application needed to make such a thing possible. Not sure how likely this is, but seems possible.

Slater and CoiL like this.
  6. SilverEars
    Lately, I got to try out the Nuraphone, and it customizes the sound output based on something called Otoacoustic Emission. I tried with out, and I had a different profile compared to the next guy. I know I've seen a video of hearing sensitivity response of two different people, and they looked totally different! I'm quite curious how much variations there are in hearing differences.

https://www.nuraphone.com/pages/how-it-works

7. Sonic Defender Contributor
    Probably quite a bit of variation, but nonetheless I would think with computing power as it stands today the numbers could still be crunched.

Perhaps there wouldn't be a need to have all possible geometries known, there may be meta geometries and that could work if it could be determined if for instance let's say 15.5million of the possible 3 billion unique geometries (totally pulling numbers out of the air) were so similar that there was no actual difference therefore those 15.5 million unique geometries could be mapped into a meta class.

8. CoiL
    And that itself is reason why I think having only one averaged coupler size/length to measure and compare IEMs is too much averaged and cause of different opinions.
    We have different target curves for measuring but don`t take physical human factor into account accurately enough and thus results are too uncorrelated to those target curves... imo.
    You can have IEM that hits target curve precisely but human with different ear-physiology from that averaged measurement standard has different experience one would expect according to graphs. Narrowing down ear-canal size/geometries into different "averaged standards" would make things much more "accurate" for ppl who know into which group they probably belong.

Sonic Defender likes this.
  9. Dr Strangelove
    Hey guys,

do you know another source for 711 couplers other than taobao?
    I'm considering to get a pair for my measuring head. Not sure if its worth the effort to simulate the ear canals though. Just trying to get some repeatable relative over ear measurements.

Regards
    Dr. S.

First

Back
1 2 3