Regarding IEMs and noise level reduction (gr07)
Jul 20, 2012 at 1:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Viral

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to purchase a pair of vsonic GR07's some time in the near future but I'm wondering what kind of decibel reduction is present in IEMs. 
I've only ever had headphones (ultrasone hfi-580 mmm) or ****ty poor quality earbuds (ipod, $20 sennheiser ones, all rubbish) and with the headphones atleast I have no idea what kind of a noise level reduction they provide. 

I'm a drummer and play fairly loud - I'm wondering if the GR07's will be suitable to play in so I don't suffer from hearing damage - I've probably done myself enough harm playing unprotected for too long. Just any general knowledge and enlightenment on the topic would be greatly appreciated. 

While slightly on topic, anybody know any good places to buy the GR07's in Australia? I'm looking at the ebay page from lendmeurears and they seem to have the best / cheapest available. These 100% legit? 

Thanks. 

Edit: Also looked at hifiman re262 if someone wants to talk me out of the GR07's. 

Jul 20, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #2 of 14
The GR07 offers good noise isolation and soundquality is great for the price.

Jul 20, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #4 of 14
Not sure about GR07, but I have GR02

[size=medium]I am having kind of love hate experience with GR02 Bass,[/size]
[size=medium]Love… it for 3D soundstage, good bass and warm sound…almost TF10 soundstage and you can wear them without looking ridiculous[/size]
[size=medium]hate….very poor isolation even on streets…not to mention noisy metro…especially because iphone max volume level for me 33% [/size]

[size=medium]I feel GR02 nozzle is short and not angled correctly…see blow picture…similar shape klipsch s5i gives me good isolation….[/size]

[size=medium][/size]

[size=medium][/size]

[size=medium]I suggest you carefully check threads and check noice dB you want to isolate[/size]

Jul 20, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #6 of 14
What type of sound are you looking for? If you're just looking for pure isolation with a good sounding IEM, you can't do better than the Etymotic ER4.

Jul 20, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
Something warm and clear. And unfortunately those look a little far above my price range. 
But yes, isolation is a pretty important factor. 

Yes, the Etys can be a bit expensive, but you can probably get them for ~$180 or so on the For Sale forums here. However, no one would describe them as warm, as they're quite bass-light. They are undoubtably clear though. I've never heard the GR7s myself, so I can't comment on them.

Jul 20, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #9 of 14
There are different tips which I imagine would make a difference in noise reduction. A triple or double flange tip may reduce more noise than a single if they fit you properly or even a foam tip like the comply tips. Not sure I never actually tested, hopefully someone else here can confirm this.

I know the m6 has I believe 3 standard tips, 1 double flange and 2x double flanges. I know in the US their around $15 usd. I have used my pair on some long road trips with a child next to me 6+ hours who was watching dvd's, etc and I didn't hear him or the music playing in the car with the music on low on them. So this may be a worthy investment to test it out before you invest any large amounts of money.

Jul 20, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:
^ I'm not really sure you can compare $30 IEMs to $150 ones..

[size=medium]IEM is crazy world, one IEM can take on other in different price range and come out winner….my point is…IEM must isolate good enough to sound good…you cannot blow your ears with high dB…..the nozzle length, angle determines insertion depth…    [/size]

[size=medium]I got s5i for 35$ when it was on sale...paid less than GR02...[/size]

Jul 20, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #11 of 14
Etymotic has something in your price range...
ER-4 series $150.00 used 4mm barrel
HF5 $99.00 new 4mm barrel
MC5 $58.00 new 8mm barrel
Ety Kids $39.00 new 6mm barrel

All of the above have the best isolation. Period
They also have NO weird twists or turns... Straight insertion.
Paired up with some Comply Foam tips, and they are unbeatable.

Good Luck, Jim

Jul 20, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
Etymotic has something in your price range...
ER-4 series $150.00 used 4mm barrel
HF5 $99.00 new 4mm barrel
MC5 $58.00 new 8mm barrel
Ety Kids $39.00 new 6mm barrel

All of the above have the best isolation. Period
They also have NO weird twists or turns... Straight insertion.
Paired up with some Comply Foam tips, and they are unbeatable.

Good Luck, Jim

Yamaha EPH-100 is also quite good...X10 can also be considered...they isolate and sound good....Iron Man..must be using either X10 or EPH-100

Jul 20, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #13 of 14

Yamaha EPH-100 is also quite good...X10 can also be considered...they isolate and sound good....Iron Man..must be using either X10 or EPH-100

Good Luck getting tips for the yamies. Yamaha does not even sell them.

Also... Iron Man doesn't do IEMs.

He sports Fostex T50RPs. He does not play around with gimmicks.

LOLz, Jim

Jul 25, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:
Good Luck getting tips for the yamies. Yamaha does not even sell them.
Also... Iron Man doesn't do IEMs.
He sports Fostex T50RPs. He does not play around with gimmicks.
LOLz, Jim

To share:  measurements taken between myself, joker and putente have revealed the EPH-100 tips are very close to those for the MEelectronic CC51's, with the CC51 tips being only slightly larger.  I would expect a very snug tip fit could be achieved with the aid of some medical cloth tape or similar.

To OP: For what it's worth, I'm also looking hard at GR07 vs. Ety HF5 vs. Yamaha EPH100.  I'm leaning towards the Ety's right now for the following reasons:
  1. I'm pretty sure the EPH's will be too physically large to be comfortable with my canals (based on CC51 experience).
  2. The GR07 vs. HF5 sound debate seems to boil down to apples and oranges - both are great but they're different flavors.  The GR07 appears to have the bigger following, but the two are trying to achieve a very different sound signature.  Much of the comparisons written appear to be regurgitating the typical inherent differences between BA and dynamic driver sound in the lower registers.  For me, words like "impact/feel/thump" sum up the difference  - with a BA-based IEM having little/less of those things on the low end, but simultaneously more of "tight/clear/controlled" for the same registers.  This is a positive for some and a negative for others.  I know I'm capable of very much enjoying quality BA and dynamic presentations - others have a strong preference and that's okay too.  The enlightened position may be to have both on-hand to swap between for different tracks, but between losing and gifting my phones away I never have more than one set handy for long, lol.  If you're not sure where you sit for the whole BA vs. Dynamic issue, auditioning a nice but cheaper dynamic and BA side by side can give you a degree of confidence in understanding your preferences before wading into higher priced goods. 
  3. The clear differentiator between GR07 and HF5 apart from their sound profile is in isolation.  The GR07 is vented and the HF5 is sealed, which means the GR07 has a "short circuit" for outside sound to pass through the phones and into your ear.  Here's where I think HF5 really suits you better (if we can assume you will enjoy both sound signatures) - I don't play drums regularly, but often enjoy my music in noisy environments, and nothing kills my enjoyment more than interruptions.  Joker has also stated the etymotic series represent the pinnacle of his isolation sound scale, down near the end of the first page of his mega IEM thread. 

EDIT:  I've been reading everything I can about GR07 and HF5... I've come up with one new point.  Many are observing the GR07 pretty much sets the bar regarding reproduction of drum kit sounds, especially in the higher frequencies.  HF5 may have an edge from technical capacity for speed if you're thinking of analyzing drum line runs.  HF5 is definitely the isolation winner if you're talking about ear protection while playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back