Redwine iMod vs Amp question
Sep 8, 2006 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 107

xcodeguy

100+ Head-Fier
Basically, my understanding is that the Redwine iMod turns the iPod headphone out jack into a really clean line out.

How would the iMod line-out compare to the existing line-out already in the ipod dock connector? Is the iPod line-out wired up to that much stuff inside that the signal isn't as optimum as what the Redwine iMod provides?

You still need an amp either way. I have an ipod-->cryo cable-->total bithead-->UE 5 Pro's. Would the iMod make my already spactacular little system sound even better?

Sep 8, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #2 of 107
I'm going to shamelessly steal from their website. http://www.redwineaudio.com/iMod.html
Quote:

Even if you use the very best iPod cable with your stock iPod, you are still not avoiding the serious degradation
of sound that results from the cumulative effects of the following "offenders" in the signal path:

-- The low quality stock SMT coupling caps after the Wolfson WM8975 DAC (used in all 4th gen. iPods)
-- Opamp output stage following the Wolfson DAC
-- The minuscule circuit board traces that travel from the top of the mother board down to the
dock connector jack
-- SMD resistors and inductors directly in the signal path
-- The dock connector jack at the bottom of the iPod
-- The signal path inside the iPod dock, which contains: the dock connector plug, a very cheap
ribbon cable, more minuscule pcb traces, SMD resistors, and finally the line out jack.

Basically, the Redwine mod bypasses a lot of cheap circuitry to give you a signal as clean as possible. You should note that this only works for the 4th gen iPods.

As far as how big a difference can this make in the sound? I have no earthly idea. I'd assume it would be better but a smaller upgrade than new headphones or a nice amp. My biggest reason for getting one would be not having the dock connector plug sticking out of the bottom of my iPod in my portable rig.

Sep 8, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #3 of 107
i asked this same question before i had my iPod iMod'd by vinnie and i got a resounding "hell, yeah, the iMod sounds better than a line out dock!" i personally can't offer you a comparison but i can tell you that the iMod is amazing and worth ever penny. i'm still amazed at the SQ i'm achieving hooked up with my hornet and listening to my K701s. and all in a portable package as well.

Sep 8, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #6 of 107
i agree as well. but better yet, get the imod and a good cable. after getting the imod, i only had a cheap mini cable and the sound was good. then i got the cryo cable and man, the sound was soooo much better!!! imagine a clean signal that has a cable to directly transfer that clean signal out. i am still amazed at the sound i'm getting with the imod/cryo combo. coming from the 5G ipod video with cotton dock, the imod/cryo is a much better alternative. i've been asked a couple times which combo is better and i believe that the imod itself (while good), is not enough. a good cable is almost a must and the cryo or cotton cable from ALO will do the trick.

Sep 8, 2006 at 6:53 PM Post #7 of 107
So far I have no iPod 5G for a reliable comparision but the difference between an unmodded 4G and a modded one is huge. Not a subtle differnce but a huge one.

Sep 8, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #8 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.morton
So far I have no iPod 5G for a reliable comparision but the difference between an unmodded 4G and a modded one is huge. Not a subtle differnce but a huge one.

i just sold my imodded ipod but not for lack of quality rather b/c i hardly use it. the biggest difference b/n modded/un-modded to me (using ALAC) is that the imod is so much quieter/blacker, which makes it seem more detailed. fantastic. i understand that rockbox increases the "blackness" even further, but i can't comment on that as i've never tried rockbox.

Sep 8, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #9 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren
i agree as well. but better yet, get the imod and a good cable. after getting the imod, i only had a cheap mini cable and the sound was good. then i got the cryo cable and man, the sound was soooo much better!!! imagine a clean signal that has a cable to directly transfer that clean signal out. i am still amazed at the sound i'm getting with the imod/cryo combo. coming from the 5G ipod video with cotton dock, the imod/cryo is a much better alternative. i've been asked a couple times which combo is better and i believe that the imod itself (while good), is not enough. a good cable is almost a must and the cryo or cotton cable from ALO will do the trick.

Couldn't agree more. An iMod with a good cable is VERY tough to beat. The sound quality is unbelievable.

Sep 8, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #10 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by digihead
Couldn't agree more. An iMod with a good cable is VERY tough to beat. The sound quality is unbelievable.

Yep, what he said, big time. Has made me a very happy camper!!! One of the best purchases I have made since discovering head-fi.

Sep 9, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #11 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
i just sold my imodded ipod but not for lack of quality rather b/c i hardly use it. the biggest difference b/n modded/un-modded to me (using ALAC) is that the imod is so much quieter/blacker, which makes it seem more detailed. fantastic. i understand that rockbox increases the "blackness" even further, but i can't comment on that as i've never tried rockbox.

Bought by me. Thanks again Grant! I'm totally new to the Ipod universe,defecting from Sony as the NW-HD5 doesn't seem to have a true line out. I compared the sound to the true line out of a Sony MZ-R50 and really couldn't detect much of a difference. The thing that's really turned me away from Sony is the lack of a lossless support. You can convert CD's to ATRAC lossless but cannot transfer a lossless file to a portable player. The best you can get is 352kbps. I'm a little uncertain of what I should rip my CD's to: FLAC or ALAC. I'm a little hesitant about Rockbox with it having bugs and all.

Sep 9, 2006 at 1:40 PM Post #12 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7
Bought by me. Thanks again Grant! I'm totally new to the Ipod universe,defecting from Sony as the NW-HD5 doesn't seem to have a true line out. I compared the sound to the true line out of a Sony MZ-R50 and really couldn't detect much of a difference. The thing that's really turned me away from Sony is the lack of a lossless support. You can convert CD's to ATRAC lossless but cannot transfer a lossless file to a portable player. The best you can get is 352kbps. I'm a little uncertain of what I should rip my CD's to: FLAC or ALAC. I'm a little hesitant about Rockbox with it having bugs and all.

I use ALAC. I don't have the time or patience to deal with FLAC and RockBox when iTunes and ALAC is so easy. Just make sure you have error correction turned on in iTunes when you are ripping.

Sep 9, 2006 at 5:04 PM Post #13 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
I use ALAC. I don't have the time or patience to deal with FLAC and RockBox when iTunes and ALAC is so easy. Just make sure you have error correction turned on in iTunes when you are ripping.

That makes sense to me,too. Especially if it kills battery life. I did like 22 CD's already with ALAC, with error correction enabled.

Sep 9, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #14 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7
FLAC or ALAC. I'm a little hesitant about Rockbox with it having bugs and all.

I have a modded ipod and installed Rockbox about a month ago and haven't looked back since. I've had to reset my ipod twice other than that it has worked flawlessly. All my music was flac arleady because of my iA6. But there is a big difference at least for me. The gapless playback and eq are nice features.

Siebel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back