RedGiant: A Supernova in the Making?
Apr 25, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #286 of 441
Well my right ear doth protesteth too much :frowning2: it appears as much as I love the sound my ears may not let me enjoy these. I get a perfect fit in my left ear but my right ear is in absolute agony as the IEM shell is pressing on the bottom portion of my ear and causing it to ache. I have had a couple IEM's cause the same spot to hurt and have never found a way to get around the issue when it arises, so these may find a new home pretty fast...

The only good news is since I listened to these for the afternoon I will likely knock another $5 off the selling price. Really to bad as I do think sonically speaking these really are a nice IEM. It will be interesting if the manufacturer can figure out how to make a pair that isn't quite so ear filling...

Apr 25, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #287 of 441
Really? So these perform better than the 7550??? 

Interesting.

But Head-Fi..  pfft..  the last time I succumbed to all this, I ended up with the ASG-1 which..  did not end well.. (even amidst crazy claims that these are the best IEMs for the price)

Apr 25, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #288 of 441
I would say that sonically speaking they have a larger sound stage than the 7550 and better low end quantity and possibly quality. The mids are similar but not quite as detailed, and the highs are again similar but not quite as detailed. I really did/do like the sound quality, so they are more of a draw rather than out and out better. Out of the 3 DD's I have owned (FXT90, Sonicore Cindy, and original Radius DD) I like the sound of these the best by a large margin.

I do need to clarify something though. I am offering to sell these, but am doing so only to give someone a break, as I can and will send these back to the reseller for a refund but would prefer to give someone a break here than just send them back. In that vein I can only keep the sale offer open until the 27th, at which time if I have not sold these, I will simply send them back to the reseller. I am stating this partially to let people know I won't be able to hold on to these for very long but more importantly in case there was/is concern I am hyping these to make a sale. 

Apr 25, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #289 of 441
Well, FWIW, the A03 doesn't exhibit the ASG-1's "echoey shouting inside a cave" effect to my ears in the least. The two are quite different sounding.

I can understand your concern though. I think this thread has thankfully avoided FOTMism thus far. The pros and cons are being presented fairly along with people's personal opinions, so if you think these seem appealing based on descriptions of the sound and don't mind the gamble of potential fit issues, I'd recommend looking into them.

Plus if you end up not liking them, I suspect these would have a quick turn-around time on the sales forum.

Apr 25, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #290 of 441
OK I have never owned the ASG-1 but I have owned headphones and IEM's that have the "cavern effect" and I HATE THAT!!!! and no the A03 doesn't have it thank goodness LOL.

Apr 25, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #291 of 441
I've moved from Melbourne to somewhere obscure in Asia called Malaysia.

So playing around with new audio gear is gonna be alot trickier :frowning2:

The shipping and postage will be a problem. I'm not familiar with it all.

There will also be import taxes from what I hear.

My heiraudio 8.a will apparently be taxed 16% or more.

Thats about USD 200...............  *******...

Maybe I'll get them to ship the goods to Melb and get a liason to get them to me :S

Apr 26, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #293 of 441

Quote:
dweaver's A03 will soon have a new home!  Looking forward to hearing how these sound.

Im guessing your the new home then :p Temptation got the better of you!

Apr 26, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #294 of 441

Quote:
Really? So these perform better than the 7550??? 

Interesting.

But Head-Fi..  pfft..  the last time I succumbed to all this, I ended up with the ASG-1 which..  did not end well.. (even amidst crazy claims that these are the best IEMs for the price)

But that's the thing. So far all the impressions here, barring Muppet's and tom's, are very early impressions, and they can be affected by New Toy Syndrome and honeymoon effect. I'm not saying that dweaver is wrong though. Or Totally Dubbed for that matter. It's just that those reading, including me, must take into account of these things. And dweaver did a good job of stating what he likes and don't like about it, even at this early stage.

Apr 26, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #296 of 441
I've had a breakthrough of sorts this morning with Monster foams: The Väsen track "Kapten Kapsyl" that I linked to the other day sounds less like being in a disco (with the Monster gels), and more of the highs are back. Unfortunately on other tracks, bass drum hits take on a monotonal thuddiness when proximal to certain frequencies.

I half-wonder if it's because they're hitting near a chamber resonance (for something this small?) or if it's because the Monster foams are the first tips that have given me a good seal and are providing more isolation than any of the other tips I've tried yet. These might be IEMs that don't benefit from a perfect seal, unlike the balanced armature IEMs I'm used to. On the other hand, this means I'll be packing my universal IEMs with Monster foam tips when flying.

By happy coincidence, wearing the A03 has been more comfortable with the foams than anything else I've tried yet, including RedGiant's own tips.

The RedGiant A03 is hard to figure out. I would have given up on it if there wasn't evidence the reward will be worth the effort: moments of musical brilliance leave me wanting to find the right combination of circumstances can make it be like that much more often.

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #297 of 441

Quote:

But that's the thing. So far all the impressions here, barring Muppet's and tom's, are very early impressions, and they can be affected by New Toy Syndrome and honeymoon effect. I'm not saying that dweaver is wrong though. Or Totally Dubbed for that matter. It's just that those reading, including me, must take into account of these things. And dweaver did a good job of stating what he likes and don't like about it, even at this early stage.

I jumped on the ASG-1s on the first few weeks. When the impressions thread was barely double digits.

My first and early 'new toy' impressions were pretty bad lol. And I WANTED TO LIKE THEM SO BAD coz they are well built, comfy and looks cool.

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #298 of 441

Quote:

I jumped on the ASG-1s on the first few weeks. When the impressions thread was barely double digits.

My first and early 'new toy' impressions were pretty bad lol. And I WANTED TO LIKE THEM SO BAD coz they are well built, comfy and looks cool.

Yeh the thing is you don't always hear things the same as others. I should have these soon and add to the impressions and reviews. The more that comes the more you can make your mind up.
Dweavers impressions were good but you have to remember they were unburned in and things change. Still nice impressions none the less.

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #299 of 441

Quote:
I've had a breakthrough of sorts this morning with Monster foams: The Väsen track "Kapten Kapsyl" that I linked to the other day sounds less like being in a disco (with the Monster gels), and more of the highs are back. Unfortunately on other tracks, bass drum hits take on a monotonal thuddiness when proximal to certain frequencies.

I half-wonder if it's because they're hitting near a chamber resonance (for something this small?) or if it's because the Monster foams are the first tips that have given me a good seal and are providing more isolation than any of the other tips I've tried yet. These might be IEMs that don't benefit from a perfect seal, unlike the balanced armature IEMs I'm used to. On the other hand, this means I'll be packing my universal IEMs with Monster foam tips when flying.

By happy coincidence, wearing the A03 has been more comfortable with the foams than anything else I've tried yet, including RedGiant's own tips.

The RedGiant A03 is hard to figure out. I would have given up on it if there wasn't evidence the reward will be worth the effort: moments of musical brilliance leave me wanting to find the right combination of circumstances can make it be like that much more often.

Hmm that sounds like a good back set of er tips. Too bad here at Moscow, it's hard to come by Monster products.

Quote:

Quote:

Well as anything in life, it's a gamble, even with something like headphones with impressions. tomscy really took the largest gamble regarding this IEM, and it turned out fairly okay so far. Now all I need is to wait for the tour IEM to arrive. Looking forward to it by the looks of it.

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #300 of 441

Quote:

I'm going to agree with you here.  However, I also feel that the sound of the IEMs was highly misrepresented in the Aurisonics thread as well.  From the way people worded it, they made it seem like things were different than they actually were.  For example, comparisons to FutureSonics and the way the bass was described made it seem like it was bass-heavy.  It's little, unintentional things like that that can create salt in impressions. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back