RedGiant: A Supernova in the Making?
Apr 29, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #301 of 441

Quote:
Hmm that sounds like a good back set of er tips. Too bad here at Moscow, it's hard to come by Monster products.

Monster's foam tips are kind of like Comply T-series tips but with a vinyl-like coating. Not having had a lot of experience with Comply tips, I can't say how the coating affects the sound, but the fit and comfort are similar. In case that helps.

Did some traveling with the A03. With the Monster foams, isolation of airplane noise is good, not stellar. I'm spoiled by custom IEMs in this regard, and it's made me hard to please. I packed a lot of spare tips in hopes of doing some experimentation, but (again) there was no time. Oh well.

The microphone is not so great, making it even more questionable to my mind why RedGiant put it on their top-end model rather than one of the cheaper, smaller ones that are probably more serviceable as telephone headsets. People I could understand me, but not as well as when I use a Meelec M6P or Apple headset; sound was apparently muted and a little echoey. The upshot is that I would have paid the same price for an A03 without a headset, because except in extenuating circumstances this feature hasn't proved its worth.

Apr 29, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #302 of 441

Quote:

Monster's foam tips are kind of like Comply T-series tips but with a vinyl-like coating. Not having had a lot of experience with Comply tips, I can't say how the coating affects the sound, but the fit and comfort are similar. In case that helps.

I'm going to have to disagree with this statement entirely.  Monster's foam tips were a lot harder than the Comply foams.  This did make them last longer, but killed the seal a bit.  The softness of the Comply's just adds to the comfort though.

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #303 of 441
I agree with Tinyman on this one regarding Comply tips and the Monster tips. I actually found the Monster tips hard enough I never could use them, where as the comply and Shure olives are both very comfortable in ear.

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #304 of 441
Quote:

Did some traveling with the A03. With the Monster foams, isolation of airplane noise is good, not stellar. I'm spoiled by custom IEMs in this regard, and it's made me hard to please. I packed a lot of spare tips in hopes of doing some experimentation, but (again) there was no time. Oh well.

The microphone is not so great, making it even more questionable to my mind why RedGiant put it on their top-end model rather than one of the cheaper, smaller ones that are probably more serviceable as telephone headsets. People I could understand me, but not as well as when I use a Meelec M6P or Apple headset; sound was apparently muted and a little echoey. The upshot is that I would have paid the same price for an A03 without a headset, because except in extenuating circumstances this feature hasn't proved its worth.

Thanks for addressing the quality of the microphone, ardgedee. I don't have an iPhone, so I never bothered assessing its quality. I definitely agree that it's just completely unnecessary, though. It was most likely just a 'me too' type of feature.

Yeah, the A03's isolation isn't stellar.

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #305 of 441
This is the one thing I don't quite get it. The Comply tips aren't that comfortable for me though. Feels like it tries to expand more and is putting uncomfortable pressure from inside my ear canal. But then I only tried it with my FXT90, which happens to have the nozzle slightly wider than the Comply's sleeve.

Apr 30, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #306 of 441

Quote:
This is the one thing I don't quite get it. The Comply tips aren't that comfortable for me though. Feels like it tries to expand more and is putting uncomfortable pressure from inside my ear canal. But then I only tried it with my FXT90, which happens to have the nozzle slightly wider than the Comply's sleeve.

This only means you didn't chose the right size (= too big for you).
You shouldn't feel tips compressing you ear canals when expanding, at least not Comply tips because the foam softens with heat.

I happen to have very large ear canals, and I still use only the medium size.
This way I don't need to compress them like hell, like I often see in videos where they flatten them completely on the stem before insertion.

Light tip-roll (about half of their initial thickness), in and no waiting for a minute for expansion.
And also, this way they last longer.

Apr 30, 2012 at 7:00 AM Post #307 of 441

Quote:
This only means you didn't chose the right size (= too big for you).
You shouldn't feel tips compressing you ear canals when expanding, at least not Comply tips because the foam softens with heat.

I happen to have very large ear canals, and I still use only the medium size.
This way I don't need to compress them like hell, like I often see in videos where they flatten them completely on the stem before insertion.

Light tip-roll (about half of their initial thickness), in and no waiting for a minute for expansion.
And also, this way they last longer.

What is medium size? T400? Because if it's that (I have that one), then maybe for Comply's I should use one size smaller compared to non-foam tips? I guess I should try it with some other IEMs too maybe? Something with a nozzle diameter that is more fitting. Because getting them to fit the FXT90 is such a chore, and when I was taking them off, I torn one of them foams halfway LOL.

EDIT: I really suspect my discomfort is from the ever so slightly larger nozzle diameter of the FXT90 to the Comply T400 tube. I tired it with another IEM I have lying around and the nozzle is smaller than the FXT90's and an easier fit on the nozzle.

To bring this slightly on topic, anybody who have a FXT90 and the A03 can try a Comply tip, preferably T400, to see if it will fit or not?

Apr 30, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #308 of 441
Sorry I wasn't clear, it's not about the nozzle size (which doesn't do much for comfort), it's about the external diameter and length of the tips (T series come in S/M/L sizes).
Medium size is actually pretty large.

And comfort-wise, the Ts series is actually easier to insert because of the spherical shape (less pressure).

Apr 30, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #309 of 441
One more thought this morning:

I've grown to admire the RedGiant's case design. Setting aside the cleverness of being folded out of one piece of material, it's surprisingly functional. Although it's large for an IEM case, it's crushable, yet maintains sufficient springiness to prevent a modest stack of electronics from affecting the IEMs inside. There are two pouches inside the case: You can either tuck one earpiece into each, which makes the pleasantly non-tangleprone cable even easier to unravel before use, or you can use them to store extra tips without worrying about them rolling around loose when the case is opened.

However, the case is problematic for one reason: The material it's made of. It feels like a synthetic felt and it's linty as all get-out. The black lint is screamingly obvious when stuck to the white Monster tips. Short of disassembling the case and putting through the washer and dryer a couple times, I don't think the lint problem will ever go away. (And I apologize: Monster foams are not as soft as Complys - it's been a while since I'd used T-series Comply tips. Still and all, I can't help but suspect that if Comply T-series tips had a thin coat of vinyl, they'd feel just like the Monster foams. But that's neither here nor there. That bad call is my fault.)

Apr 30, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #310 of 441
I received the package from Tom this morning. A huge THANKS mate. 

Initial thoughts on the A03 after listening on and off for about 4 hours on one of my portable set ups:-

Cowon D2+ > silver/gold hybrid 3.5mm i/c > Meier 2Stepdance. Using dual flange tips, I got a very good fit straight away, so no worries there.

Briefly, very good. Tonally everything is present and correct, unlike a more recent purchase of mine!

Few points that proves a stumbling block to the A03 in elevating it to a top class IEM

Vocals are too wide/big sounding and some smearing, making the A03 sound unrealistic. I noticed some traces of electronic tizzz present. The bass is big and bold but I feel there is some overhang on the notes and ultimately lagging behind a fraction which affects the PRaT of the IEM. With the trebles, I found it detailed sounding but lacking in sparkle and nuances which really defines a great IEMs and it's ability create a realistic illusion. You can still characterize all instruments but nuances such as the hissing reed in saxophones or the glassy glare emanating from piano are lacking, resulting in the listening experience not being as involving.

I heard a different soundstage from others, I found the width average ear to ear but the perception of depth was good, extending beyond the back of my head. Height was not portrayed too well though, everything was eyebrow to nose. 

Overall, the A03 is a very enjoyable IEM. Big and bold sounding with a thumping bass which provides glimpses of magic at times. I preferred playing live recordings on them, the edginess and atmospheric ambiance of these recordings lifts the A03 into a more enticing IEM. To me, they are far better than the ASG-1 and better than the W3. The A03 is providing a solid $250-275 sound and as such is a rare bargain in our hobby.

I will listen further in the next few days on the DX100, and DX100 sourcing a Triad L3 and seeing how well, if at all, it scales up and report briefly accordingly!

Again, thanks to Tom for letting me have the opportunity in listening to the A03 
beerchug.gif

Apr 30, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #311 of 441

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrs01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Using dual flange tips, I got a very good fit straight away, so no worries there.

Vocals are too wide/big sounding and some smearing, making the A03 sound unrealistic. I noticed some traces of electronic tizzz present. The bass is big and bold but I feel there is some overhang on the notes and ultimately lagging behind a fraction which affects the PRaT of the IEM. With the trebles, I found it detailed sounding but lacking in sparkle and nuances which really defines a great IEMs and it's ability create a realistic illusion. You can still characterize all instruments but nuances such as the hissing reed in saxophones or the glassy glare emanating from piano are lacking, resulting in the listening experience not being as involving.

I heard a different soundstage from others, I found the width average ear to ear but the perception of depth was good, extending beyond the back of my head. Height was not portrayed too well though, everything was eyebrow to nose. 

I preferred playing live recordings on them, the edginess and atmospheric ambiance of these recordings lifts the A03 into a more enticing IEM.

Thanks! It's always good to hear different takes on these!

Have you tried different tips with them yet? The dual flange tips are my own, and don't come with the A03 by default. I find that they gave me the best compromise on sound and fit and that's why I chose to include them for the tour; The soft silicone single-flange tips that come with the A03 are probably the tips you want for the most amount of top-end sparkle. I agree that the vocals are a bit too wide for a lot of things; it's a good thing these things aren't advertised to be accuracy machines! I do find that the effect helps enhance the weak voices of modern pop singers, though. Live recordings did pretty well for me, as well.

Apr 30, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #312 of 441

Quote:

Thanks! It's always good to hear different takes on these!

Have you tried different tips with them yet? The dual flange tips are my own, and don't come with the A03 by default. I find that they gave me the best compromise on sound and fit and that's why I chose to include them for the tour; The soft silicone single-flange tips that come with the A03 are probably the tips you want for the most amount of top-end sparkle. I agree that the vocals are a bit too wide for a lot of things; it's a good thing these things aren't advertised to be accuracy machines! I do find that the effect helps enhance the weak voices of modern pop singers, though. Live recordings did pretty well for me, as well.

I had tried the Sony hybrids first, didn't fit well in ear. Then just used my own bi flanges. I will try different tips tomorrow. 

I liked the A03 a lot, they are very reminiscent of a good mid-fi home system!

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #314 of 441
Before I retire to bed..................a final note 
smile.gif

I thought the A00 were the more expensive ones......the finish on the shells are fantastic, I refer to them, to my daughters, as dumbbells for my ears to exercise. They are quite weighty! Tried them on and the fit and comfort was great, didn't listen properly though, as I was thinking, I would listen to the cheaper pair first- A03....
confused_face_2.gif

I checked the price on the A00 in your opening post and am still in amazement on how they achieved such a jewel like IEM at the price point!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back