Recommendations for what are currently the World's Best Headphones??
Jul 17, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #31 of 53

Quote:
If and only you're budget conscious...
biggrin.gif

Syan25 has already got HD600s and DT880s, so I don't think he's that budget conscious! I assume he's just asking around before taking the next big step.

Jul 17, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #32 of 53

Quote:
If you want to spend less but still get the best, you can try my Stax O2 rig. I spent $2300 total on the Stax SR323s amp and the Stax 007 mk1. My headphone search stops with the 007, but the music search continues. =) 

man that's a bargain....

Jul 17, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #33 of 53
How's the bass on em? plenty? 

Jul 17, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #34 of 53

Quote:
The T1s really impressed me even more than the HD800. Still I was thinking about non-dynamic drivers - hence the planars...or electrostats....I would get the T1 otherwise and in fact I may end up getting it...

T1 is a great all arounder, getting into electro means you probably gonna have to stick with one phone..... that's why i chose my rig at the first place, have different flavor all excels at its area instead of one all arounder lol 

Jul 17, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #35 of 53
Quote:
man that's a bargain....

Quote:
How's the bass on em? plenty? 

I think the fact I spent over $2k on an amp and headphones and over $1k for my DAC is not much of a bargain considering I could buy so much with that money! I'm still waiting on a KGSS though. The bass is plenty strong on the 007+323s. Since you have the W11R, I can make a fairly good point of comparison. I'd say that the 007 actually sounds very similar to the W11R. The amount of bass of both headphones are quite similar. The main difference is that the W11R just sounds more organic. Vocals sound really weighty and realistic on the W11R. The 007 sounds really light and soft, even with the bass pounding away. The 007 electrostatic headphones just sound so elegant but loses the organic feel of the W11R. The W11R, however, can get fatiguing after a while, but the 007 never fatigues. Both of them can really pound in the bass. While the W11R sounds thick but slow, the 007 sounds fast but it's like the sound is finely dispersed.

Quote:
I'd second that. The O2mk1 / SRM323 works, but personally, I'd amp the O2 with the KGSS at a minimum. O2mk1s are getting harder to find though.

I think so too but I'm not sure how much better a KGSS is to the 323s. I guess I'll find out soon.

Jul 17, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #36 of 53
In a year - i intend to buy a great headphone - the ones I have are lovely but I want to upgrade. I don't have an electrostat amp and would prefer not to buy one. I just bought the HR-2 from Ray Samuels - if they could run on that - that would be awesome,
I know that the HR-2 is not the most hi-end amp that Ray has to offer - but it was all I could afford. Still - the Stax are attractive....

Jul 17, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #37 of 53
World's best headphones now are Shure SRH-840. Great neutrality, no effects, no magic, pure music.
Shure should put some wood and leather, and price them $1000... and another legend would be born.
Few people pay attention to $130-150 headphones.
High end MUST be glamorous and expensive! :)

Jul 17, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #38 of 53
You are driving me crazy, ur support for the 840s are killing me, ive got those and i was thinking about getting k701 or hd650, now im in doubt lol. Gimme ur comments !!

Jul 17, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #39 of 53

Quote:
     Quote:

I think the fact I spent over $2k on an amp and headphones and over $1k for my DAC is not much of a bargain considering I could buy so much with that money! I'm still waiting on a KGSS though. The bass is plenty strong on the 007+323s. Since you have the W11R, I can make a fairly good point of comparison. I'd say that the 007 actually sounds very similar to the W11R. The amount of bass of both headphones are quite similar. The main difference is that the W11R just sounds more organic. Vocals sound really weighty and realistic on the W11R. The 007 sounds really light and soft, even with the bass pounding away. The 007 electrostatic headphones just sound so elegant but loses the organic feel of the W11R. The W11R, however, can get fatiguing after a while, but the 007 never fatigues. Both of them can really pound in the bass. While the W11R sounds thick but slow, the 007 sounds fast but it's like the sound is finely dispersed.

I think so too but I'm not sure how much better a KGSS is to the 323s. I guess I'll find out soon.

Uh... you get rid of your dynamic rig? 

Jul 17, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #40 of 53

Quote:
Uh... you get rid of your dynamic rig? 

No way. I haven't found a headphone as organic sounding as the W11R. The W11R just goes straight to my Anedio D1 DAC, anything else is unnecessary space+money wasting and just extends the audio chain adding possible coloration.

Jul 17, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #41 of 53
I've tried LCD-2 (rev.1), HE-5, HE-5LE, HE-6... My vote goes for HE-6

Jul 17, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #42 of 53
Already have the SRH 840 - and I agree they are fantastic for their price and sounds pretty wonderful. Still I do want more from headphones on par with speaker quality sound...

Quote:
World's best headphones now are Shure SRH-840. Great neutrality, no effects, no magic, pure music.
Shure should put some wood and leather, and price them $1000... and another legend would be born.
Few people pay attention to $130-150 headphones.
High end MUST be glamorous and expensive! :)

Jul 17, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #43 of 53
I remain a fan of the Sennheiser HD-800. The LCD2 is awfully good and I'm sure I'd enjoy the new Stax.

However, I'm not considering new headphones until something truly remarkable comes along. Might be a few years before that happens. Instead, I'm finishing off my speaker setup. After that, probably no more gear. I'll flesh out the music collection. I've got a few hundred SACDs, but want to get that number up over 1,000. I'll get a lot more enjoyment from that than swapping gear every few months.

Jul 17, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #44 of 53

Quote:
I remain a fan of the Sennheiser HD-800. The LCD2 is awfully good and I'm sure I'd enjoy the new Stax.

However, I'm not considering new headphones until something truly remarkable comes along. Might be a few years before that happens. Instead, I'm finishing off my speaker setup. After that, probably no more gear. I'll flesh out the music collection. I've got a few hundred SACDs, but want to get that number up over 1,000. I'll get a lot more enjoyment from that than swapping gear every few months.

I agree, there seems to be a speed boat mentality here at times. 'Look what I've got and it's bigger than yours'. Enjoy what you have and be grateful that you can.

Jul 18, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #45 of 53
I'll go with the SR-009 and a BHSE or WES, and a proper high-end source of course. Not that I've ever heard a setup like that, hopefully I will someday but I kind of doubt it 
redface.gif

Out of the cans I own my preference constantly changes, I usually like the pair that I have on my head at any given moment 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back