Recommendations for what are currently the World's Best Headphones??
Jul 15, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #16 of 53
The T1s really impressed me even more than the HD800. Still I was thinking about non-dynamic drivers - hence the planars...or electrostats....I would get the T1 otherwise and in fact I may end up getting it...

Jul 15, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #17 of 53
The only flagships I've ever heard are the D7000 and the HD800. Both has a different sound signature, and personally I prefer the HD800, however I don't like its looks; the Denon's look classier.

Jul 16, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #21 of 53
yeah - already on that thread...in fact - there were too many suggestions - OMG...something clear and transparent - reference with detail. Neutral and "flat"

Jul 16, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #22 of 53
For transparency and detail, I *still* haven't heard a headphone better than the Sony SA5000. I know they're not what would be classified top-tier headphones, but for detail retrieval and transparency they were phenomenal. I haven't heard the Qualia 010, but that would be the logical path to take if you want to persue the ultra-detailed path to its ultimate conclusion.

Neutrality and flatness is a more difficult goal to aspire to, as it can be a very subjective thing. The HD800 comes about as close as I've heard.

Jul 16, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #25 of 53

Quote:
yeah - already on that thread...in fact - there were too many suggestions - OMG...something clear and transparent - reference with detail. Neutral and "flat"

I'll throw a little bit of a curve here simply because most people haven't heard it (and doubt it was even mentioned in that 10000+ post LCD-2 amp thread): Apex Peak - if you value clarity, transparency, detail, and neutrality above all else. Don't let the fact that it's a hybrid with a tube bother you. That simply only gives you some leeway to tweak the sound to your headphone of choice. The Peak sounds more on the solid state side, with just a tiny little sprinkling of that tube midrange magic. By extension, you could also consider the Apex Pinnacle. But again, I don't know how much you are willing to spend. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

BTW I've owned both the Peak and LCD-2r1.

And I thought I should throw this out there in case you are cost conscious and into DIY: Balanced EHHA. Again this recommendation is based on your stated criteria (but at a different price point - or sweat in place of money) and in terms what works with the LCD-2.

Jul 16, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #26 of 53
the best? there is no perfect headphones, even the orephus and stax sr009, r10 many people, especially early critics found em lack of bass and tuned up-titled. if you wanna the best of headphone today, these are the option you are looking at. However,either one would run you around 15000 at least for a proper setup, that's not includes the tubes, cables and other tweaks, lol If were up to me, just buy a 1k-2k flagships, or the r10 if you will, and donate the rest money to people who really need it lol After all, the difference between O2,L3000 etc and ultra top tire is not that much different lol 

Jul 16, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #27 of 53
Isn't liquid fire on sale on ALO webpage? that one worth some attention, especially at that price point 

Jul 16, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #29 of 53
I'd second that. The O2mk1 / SRM323 works, but personally, I'd amp the O2 with the KGSS at a minimum. O2mk1s are getting harder to find though.

Quote:
Isn't liquid fire on sale on ALO webpage? that one worth some attention, especially at that price point 

Holy crap! $1375. Wait... that's deceptive. In the fine print it's $1375 to put a deposit down then another $1375 upon completion. Bah - kind of shady price advertising with the fine print in non-bold font in the product description section instead of where the price is. Maybe instead of the "(pre order)", ALO could have put down "(initial deposit)" to be more clear about it. The blue -58% tag does make it a even a bit more deceptive even.

Jul 17, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #30 of 53
If and only you're budget conscious...
biggrin.gif

European leaders in recording studio audio delivers the AKG K701, a top-of-the-line full-size headphone with astonishing clarity, 'up-front' detail resolution and full competence across the musical spectrum. The K701 are nowhere near their acoustic potential out of the box; patience and a long 'break-in' period gets rewarded with pristine accuracy and an expansive, spacious soundstage image that competes with +$1,000 cans. Highly recommended, truly world-class audiophile sound at a WAY lower price than many headphones of this caliber.

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/akg-k-701-white.php

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back