Recommendations for Best headphones on the market (new and old)
Sep 4, 2004 at 11:27 PM Post #182 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by SliPkNoT
I would say the Sennheiser HD600s because a lot of people still think that they are the best dynamic headphones. Of course, we know that the Sony R10s are the best. I am still waiting to find a used pair myself.

Sorry couldn't post them for sale here
blink.gif
... promised first crack at them, to, of all people, my first wife... she paid too much ...
icon10.gif

Using the R10s in place of the Senns in this lineup: Shanling SCD-7200 SACD player>Emmeline HR-2>w/Cardas cable>Senn HD 650, I found virtually NO enhancements over the Senns. I've tried 3 R10s in this lineup in the past. Invited friends, many of whom are working pros in audio (thier clients include Springsteen, Diana Krall, etc.), to try 'em back-to-back with the Senns. We all agreed that the R10s are overpriced and overrated, and that the Senns were the best dynamic headphone investment one can make.

The R10s got plugged into Meridian SACD sources, amps from a Grace 901 to a Blockhead w/ SA's... still, virtually no improvement over the above system's results.

I have listened extensively to some of the higher-end ES systems, like the late great orpheus, etc. that will kill the HD 650s, but I have kids to put through school and travelling to do with my (second, and last) wife
icon10.gif
... priorities, priorities...

I know there are many folks to whom the R10s are the last word in dynamic headphones... let's just say that I ain't one of them.
600smile.gif

EDIT: the Qualia 010 got the same treatment as the R10s above; it does better overall than an unbalanced HD650 setup, but... HD650s/Silver Dragon or Cardas, in a fully balanced setup, with a Blockhead/SA's is fully the sonic equal to the Qualias... while some shuffling of sources was done for the Qualia, no 'heroic' actions were performed... fully balanced setup/HD650s sounded as good, overall, as the 010s.

Sep 28, 2004 at 3:18 PM Post #183 of 1,076
I wonder if others share my opinion of the Denon AH-D950 which I felt were the best sounding cans under $200, speaking of which I can't find anywhere.

Denon doesn't make them anymore.
frown.gif
Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a pair?

Oct 14, 2004 at 6:47 AM Post #185 of 1,076
Most recommended dynamic headphones between $100-$1000:

AKG K240S
AKG K501
AKG K1000

Alessandro MS1
Alessandro MS2
Alessandro MSPro

Audio-Technica ATH-A500
Audio-Technica ATH-A900

Beyerdynamic DT250_250
Beyerdynamic DT770_80
Beyerdynamic DT880

Grado SR60
Grado SR225
Grado RS1

Sennheiser HD25
Sennheiser HD580
Sennheiser HD650

Sony MDR-CD3000

Oct 21, 2004 at 6:34 PM Post #186 of 1,076
I'd vote for the Grado line. Sennheiser makes great cans too, but they just don't have that Grado sound.

I've been using the 225's because I think they're a great value. If I was going to go any higher in the line-up, I'd shoot all the way up to the RS1's just because the incremental sound improvement gets smaller as you move up towards the top.

Grado has spoiled me completely. I just don't enjoy listening to other headphones and I haven't been able to look at my home stereo the same way since I plugged them into a Shellbrook Audio Pimeta.

Oct 26, 2004 at 4:53 PM Post #187 of 1,076
Those Audio-Technoica ATH-M40fs headphones that jimmy recommended look exactly the same as the Technics RP-HT300! What do you think of the sound of these Technics RP-HT300 headphones? Anyone tried them? They're not high-end,but they can be found for cheap.
I like to know whether these RP-HT300 sound good or not?
My brother,who is not an audiophile like me says these are the best set of cans he have listened to.But I think they sound crappy (the bass is over-exaggerated,the highs are harsh and the mids are bad-sounding).

Also,another question,this time it's for high-end studio-use headphones.
What do you think of the AKG K240 Studio? They are really cheap for hi-end headphones.
I know the AKG K-271 are the best in their price range and sound absolutely brilliant,but for half the price of the K271's,I can buy the K-240 Studio,and I don't have a lot of money to spend.Are K-240 Studio's worth every cent?

I need headphones for electronic music production and I also like to use them for listening to a wide range of music (from very soft ambient and classical symphonic music to 80's pop-rock and synthesizer hits to Dance,House,and highly dynamic Electronica).
The low impedance and sensitivity is also important,cause I want to use them occasionally with my SB Audigy2 sound card output and on portable players as well.

I need to save money for a good ROTEL amp and a pair of Bowers & Wilkins DM-602 Series 3 speakers and a Audio-Technica AT440ML phono cartridge for my turntable all of this for my home recording studio.

Nov 8, 2004 at 8:24 PM Post #190 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zell
Senn hd555, hd580 or hd595 without an amp?
My soundcard is audigy2 zs.

I'd say ditch the Audigy first, then get a better set of cans. Creative Labs' products are consumer quality, not high-end quality. They're good enough to drive computer speakers, but plug a $200 set of cans into them, and you'll wince.

Also, even though Sennheiser touts the 555, 590, and 595 as being drivable without an amp, you'll really take a hit in quality. The Audio-Technica ATH-A900 is probably a better choice, it sounds almost as good as 595 (being closed it's at a disadvantage), and it's very efficient (40 Ohms impedance vs 120). To my ears, the A-T's have a very musical quality to their sound, whereas the Senns sound a bit too laid-back and analytical in comparison. Of course, this is entirely subjective.

Nov 13, 2004 at 2:06 PM Post #193 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zell
Is the hd600 better than hd595 without an amp?

I own both and have compared them for many hours. I definitely prefer the 600 to the 595. The 595 take you a bit closer to the music, but the sound is colored. It seems that there is some cheap plastic vibrating and distorting the music to some degree. I can not recommend the 595. The grado SR 325, Sennheiser HD-600 and Stax 3030 have a cleaner sound.

An amp does not improve the sound quality that much for normal sources. Even without an amp the HD 600 sound cleaner than the 595.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back