Recommendations for Best headphones on the market (new and old)
Nov 15, 2004 at 12:42 AM Post #196 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutter
Hello!

I would like to know if Philips' HP890 are still the best headphones for < $100.
Thanks.
tongue.gif

Somebody told me it is the best cosumer headfone <$50, since Grado SR80 and SR60 should be better......

Nov 15, 2004 at 7:28 PM Post #197 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by juneamour
Somebody told me it is the best cosumer headfone <$50, since Grado SR80 and SR60 should be better......

Yeah but I heard that their isolation is not very strong, which annoys me.

Nov 27, 2004 at 8:44 PM Post #198 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutter
Hello!

I would like to know if Philips' HP890 are still the best headphones for < $100.
Thanks.
tongue.gif

no,
sennheiser hd497 are much better.

Dec 5, 2004 at 4:27 AM Post #199 of 1,076
Under $700:
AKG K1000

Under $500:

Senn HD-650
Senn HD-600
Senn HD-580 Jubilee (to me a better phones than HD600)
Senn HD-580

Sony MDR-CD3000
Sony MDR-CD1700

Beyer DT-880

Ety ER-4s/p (excellent details but failed in comfort issues)

Grado SR-325
Grado SR-225

Audio Technica AT-A100ti

Under $100:

Sony MDR-V6
Sony MDR-E888
Grado SR-80
Shure E2C
Koss KSC-35 (great sound but cheap built quality)
JVC HA-D990 (Excelltent phones in this range)

Dec 6, 2004 at 5:04 AM Post #200 of 1,076
I would say the Alessandro MS-2 for 300 american dollars is a great choice. most people say that the 225's are the sweet spot (best sound for the money) in the line, but i would have to disagree. i know it's not technically a grado, but it's close enough. anyways i think they are worth the extra money over the 225's (which are still a great choice mind you). You get much neater (and deeper) bass, and the highs don't induce headaches. plus they look cooler i think haha.

so if you were trying to decided between the 225's and the MS-2's like i was a while ago, I say save up your money a little longer and get the MS-2s. In my opinion, these are a definite canidate for one of the best pairs of headphones under 500.

Dec 6, 2004 at 10:18 AM Post #201 of 1,076
Definately my Grado RS-1's. Great detail and bass. Outstanding for listening to woodwind instrumental recordings. I would kill over my Grado's - I love them to death.

Dec 6, 2004 at 10:56 PM Post #202 of 1,076
To my ears, from my experiences to date, these are my choices for "best" available. [Subjective mind/ear interface POV]:

[size=large]#1 - Sennheiser Orpheus System: HE90 phones + HEV90 (dedicated) Amplifier[/size] - Headfi Nirvana! The HE90 alone with other amps is excellent, but does not match the unparalleled experience of the complete system.

[size=small]Qualia 010[/size] - The most complete sonic transducer, capable of reproducing the subtlest, most complex components of each sound with great extension, air, dimension, rich timbral presentation, definition and placement. Very efficient and easily driven, but requires the best ancillary components and best quality recordings. It is more sensitive and reactive to inadequacies in every step in the sonic chain than any other headphone I'm aware of. Near-zero isolation: lots of sounds comes in and leaks out. These phones are people-polarizing, and they are so demanding and finicky that if you've only heard them at their worst (imperfect fit, imperfect recordings, imperfect system synergy, noisy surroundings, etc.), you'll never know how great they can sound ... sometimes.

[size=small]AKG K1000[/size] - "ear speaker" or not - they sound beautiful. They create a huge, open, immersive sound space and a sweet, lucid, extended sound. It lacks the relaxed comfort of the R10s -- or even the 501s -- but it provides a great musical experience. Especially sweet with the Dared Monoblocks, but perform beautifully with a variety of amps. They may be the most power-hungry phones.

[size=small]AKG K501[/size] - My practical favorite to date, since I can't yet afford the Orpheus system, or Qualia 010 with necessary uber-system. Tight and well-integrated bass, beautiful midrange and fine detail overall. The 501 does reproduce deep bass frequencies, but not usually with the robust impact of some other phones. The GSP Solo 2004 -- as PinkFloyd has exclaimed -- has the power and signal quality the K501 needs for "bags 'o bass" and a big, dynamic sound (tho' modding this amp for Grados apparently kills its synergy with the 501s). They also completely surround the ear with room to spare and "breathe" so well that they're almost as heat-free as the no-contact K1000. A brief listen with Ray Samuel's Hornet (tiny portable) headamp + Headroom MicroDAC produced a huge sound out of the 501s. Since the Hornet is not yet in production at this writing (9/21/05), the effect of the final production units on the 501s remains to be seen. SR-71 works beautifully with the 501s and creates and great, spacious, lucid sound with lots of "air" around performers, fine timbral nuance, ultrafine detail. The portaphile PV2^2 handles the 501s admirably in different ways, adding body, impact, low-end punch and a lively & forward presentation. The MicroDAC is a great "source" for these (and most other) phones, adding great dynamics and texture.

[size=small]Grado HP1000 & HP2[/size] - After a few short sessions with these I find their sound very much to my liking, but haven't yet found a pair that fits me comfortably. Need to find sets that fit better and hear them with more systems to form an accurate personal placement.

[size=small]Stax Omega II[/size] - Great sound with KGSS amp via Meridian G08/Meitner DAC. Lots of fun, though overly huge bass and ultimately not the more balanced sound I prefer. Waiting to hear them with immtbiker's new EMMLabs CDSD/DCC2!

[size=small]Sony MDR-R10[/size] - A grand, comfy plush armchair of a headphone. Seductive and relaxed with big body, bass and punch - a great vintage cabernet of a headphone. I like the R10, but I sometimes find the sound is too much "in your face" with some recordings - and doubt I'd spend $4k if I had it (tho' if I had cash to burn, I'd buy all the toys just for the fun of it).

[Always more to come. Soon to audition: AKG K601 & K701]

It's pretty obvious that my prefererence is for a certain well-defined sound, judging by my AKG K1000/K501/Qualia010 choices. HE90/HEV90 is my "choir of angels" ultimate choice (and the HEV90 amp is a MOMA-worthy visual experience...).

orphsmile.gif
{we need an icon maestro to create more smileys!}

Dec 8, 2004 at 8:24 PM Post #203 of 1,076
I have Rega Ear and I am buying NAD C521BEE CD-player. I am looking for now headphones, which are something like under €200. I will listen to music from Iron Maiden to Wagner and from Vangelis to John Coltrane. I am buying Beyerdynamics or Grados. Which model do you prefer? Options are

Beyerdynamic DT 660
Beyerdynamic DT 770
Beyerdynamic DT 990

Grado SR-60
Grado SR-80

Dec 9, 2004 at 2:25 AM Post #204 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by MS?
I have Rega Ear and I am buying NAD C521BEE CD-player. I am looking for now headphones, which are something like under €200. I will listen to music from Iron Maiden to Wagner and from Vangelis to John Coltrane. I am buying Beyerdynamics or Grados. Which model do you prefer? Options are

Beyerdynamic DT 660
Beyerdynamic DT 770
Beyerdynamic DT 990

Grado SR-60
Grado SR-80

That depends on what kind of sound you prefer. The DT660 and DT770 are both closed, which means they'll isolate you from outside noises and won't leak sound out. The DT660 is a nice, open-sounding closed headphone that's good for all-around use, but it is very bright without the 120-ohm adapter jack (which also makes it hard to drive). Its headband is also prone to cracking.

The DT770 is a very bass-heavy can (it literally sounds like you're standing next to a really good subwoofer, except you can't feel the bass) that is also very bright, which results in recessed, but very good mids. The soundstaging and detail are good as well, making it a good choice for gaming. It excels at electronica and rap, but is also good with rock and pop in the right system but is not good for most classical or jazz. It comes in several flavors: the DT770/80 Pro, DT770/80 M, DT770/250 Pro, DT770/250 non-Pro, DT770/600 Pro. The most common version is the DT770/250 Pro, which is hard to drive and is also the worst sounding flavor. The 250 non-Pro version is the same as the Pro except it has a bigger headband (to accomidate bigger heads). The 600 Pro version is older, and is hard to find. It's more balanced than the 250, but the 80 is better. The 80 ohm version (which I own) is the most balanced and most easily driven. It is also very hard to find though, with the only reliable source being the American pro-audio chain store Guitar Center. They can be found on eBay occasionally though. The 80 M is the same as the regular 80 Pro except it has an in-line volume control, pleather ear pads (I think), and better isolation. I believe the M version is intended mainly for drummers.

The DT990 is an open verion of the DT770, and is suppost to be much more balanced, though still having emphasized bass and trebel. I've never heard this but I'd think it wouldn't be quite as good as the DT770 on rap and electronica, but would be much better for rock and pop. I've never heard them though.

The Grado headphones are full of fun and impact, but can be rather bright. They are also very open and leak LOTS of sound (at moderate listening levels people standing several feet away from you in a quiet room can clearly hear what you're listening to), as well as letting almost everything in. They are very overpriced outside of the US, but you can get tweaked Grados from Alessandro for very good prices (their MS-1 model, based off the SR-125, costs US$99, the MS-2, based off the SR-325, is $299, and the MS-Pro, based off the RS-1, is $699, all with free world-wide shipping).

Hope this helps, if you want more info on any of those headphones, or any of the others that have been discussed previously on Head-Fi, do a search for them.

Dec 9, 2004 at 7:49 PM Post #207 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
Hope this helps, if you want more info on any of those headphones, or any of the others that have been discussed previously on Head-Fi, do a search for them.

It helps. Thanks a lot! I have used search here.

Dec 10, 2004 at 7:03 PM Post #208 of 1,076
#1) HD650 (but they need cable upgrade so their not really under $500) - They are the best! Pure and simple.

#2) CD3000 - Some don't like it and some think it benefits from varoius tweaks.. Imo it just needs a clean signal and it sounds great on low volumes. (Even thoug I didn't rank it as #1, they still are the most exciting headphones I've listened to)

#3) HD600 with cardas - Natural and warm sounding but can sound thin if not properly amped.. And these are the kind of cans where you want to turn up the volume a bit, so they really need to be properly amped.

#4) Sony Eggo D66 - Great value.. Perhaps not as much detail and soundstage as some of the "big boys" but they definately have audiophile quality to them, very pleasurable headphones. They do gain some from being amped but can be driven out of virtually any thing and still sound great.

Dec 20, 2004 at 12:29 AM Post #210 of 1,076
Sennhesier HD595's!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back