Recommendations for Best headphones on the market (new and old)
May 12, 2004 at 2:07 AM Post #166 of 1,076
Just down the road, Little Red Rideing Hood was visiting at Grandma's house. Upon going into the bedroom and seeing Grandma wearing a pair of Sony CD 3000's she said, " Grandma! What BIG ears you have."

May 13, 2004 at 11:14 AM Post #167 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by fiddler
Grado SR-80: Wanted to give Grado a chance, so I tried these for a couple weeks... I dunno, Grados (at least the current generation) aren't for me. Too bright. Mind you, I only tried them with bowls. But even then, I didn't even remotely like them, so that's that.

And Grado with the flat pads were famous and admired for their warm sound... why the hell Grado are selling their cans with those f@#k§ng bowl pads???!!!??? The bowls made the Rs-1 more grainy and tiny sounding that my Sr-60 with the flats... GRADO ARE GRADO ONLY WITH THE FLATS, REMEMBER!

So... back in topic:

I LOVE the Grado Rs-1 (with flat pads)
rs1smile.gif
but I can't reach them and the Grado Rs-60 are very good and not so distant and maybe more neutral than their queen (remember again, the flats)

Bye

Andrea

May 31, 2004 at 7:23 AM Post #168 of 1,076
i spend on average 10+ hours on flights every week, and am sick of turning my ipod all the way up to hear anything. what do ppl recommend for noice cancellation/isolation? i'm considering the ety 4p, shure e3, and sony noise cancellation b/c i want to keep it portable. any thoughts very much appreciated and thx in advance

Jun 19, 2004 at 1:37 PM Post #169 of 1,076
I fly a lot with my ipod and the Bose noise cancelling cans. The best test was 2 weeks ago when a baby one row behind me to my immediate left cried the entire three hour flight. I truly heard nothing and was surprised to hear about it from my companion on the flight. Maybe not the best for music but my E3C Shures would still have let in the sound. I should have tested it if I had known. The bad side is that they can get warm on loner flights. Good luck

Jun 21, 2004 at 11:46 AM Post #170 of 1,076
I mainly listen to bands like AFI, Metallica, Slipknot, Bad Religion, etc.
And I'm thinking about purchasing new headphones. At the time I'm undecided whether to get Grado SR-80's or Senn HD580's (maybe 590?). Which ones would you lot recommend?

600smile.gif

Jun 21, 2004 at 1:59 PM Post #171 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by yuriken
I mainly listen to bands like AFI, Metallica, Slipknot, Bad Religion, etc.
And I'm thinking about purchasing new headphones. At the time I'm undecided whether to get Grado SR-80's or Senn HD580's (maybe 590?). Which ones would you lot recommend?

600smile.gif

For your musical taste, I think that Grado Sr-80 are simply unbeatable. The Senns HD580 probably have a more correct sounds but less punchy and more "laid back" for this type of music. Avoid the 590, they are (IMHO) probably the worst headphone I've ever had. However, they have a sound balance that does not suite very well for rock or similar. (always IMHO)

I had the Grado Sr-60 and they are wonderful for rock... so probably also the Sr-80! If you can afford it, remember to buy the flat pads: the sound of the Grados improves a lot, compared to the bowls.

Bye

Andrea

Jun 21, 2004 at 4:09 PM Post #172 of 1,076
SR80 with sen 414
600smile.gif

Jun 22, 2004 at 11:43 AM Post #173 of 1,076
Thank you Andrea for replying!

I've read so many praises about the Grados, they seem to be the right choice for me and the kind of music I listen to.

Therefore I have another question, this is for anyone who has actually owned the SR-80's and/or the SR-125's,
I've read that the 125's are superior compared to the 80's. Sure, they cost a bit more but quality doesn't come cheap, right?
So is it worth it to buy the SR-125's instead of the SR-80's? Is there a significant difference in sound quality?

By the way, here in Finland the Grado SR-80's cost 165 Euros and the SR-125's 295 Euros.

That's like 198$ and 354$ !

Makes you wish you had a good friend in the States who could mail you the cans
orphsmile.gif

Jun 22, 2004 at 4:25 PM Post #174 of 1,076
Jun 23, 2004 at 1:19 PM Post #175 of 1,076
yuriken, 295€ for an SR125 seems to be extremly overpriced in my eyes and is close to the SR325(340€) as an example which i saw last week on german ebay from a vendor, who shipps worldwide. He sells the SR225 for 240€ but i dont no exactly the price for the SR125, propably 160€. I've just ask him per email for prices and availability. If you like, look at ebay.de / audio & Hi-fi, type Grado, then look for vendor cd_ka (munich/germany). Good luck.

Jul 10, 2004 at 8:55 PM Post #176 of 1,076
"best bang for the buck" is my baby orpheus. it's sooo much better than that other "best bang for the buck" ms-1.
only minus of the orpheus, it takes hours before this headphone is warmed up. when i go to sleep, i turn the baby O on..after 6-8 hours sleeping...the baby O is ready to use...
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Jul 14, 2004 at 11:11 AM Post #177 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
yuriken,

The Alessandro MS1 is almost the same as the sr125. and $99,- shipped worldwide from the alessandro website.

http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html

you know you've been to head fi too long when you've lurked to the point that you come across the first post you saw when you first came to head fi. ah, the post that led me to get my cans, thank you Lisa! And by the way good call on the MS-1, I'm so in love.

EDIT - and how appropriate, this post was my 100th! WOOT!

Jul 24, 2004 at 9:44 PM Post #178 of 1,076
Hello one and all. Haven't seen anything here on Headfi on these smashing precision studiophones. The ATH-M40fs were designed specifically for professional studio monitoring with a flat, extended frequency response. 5-28,000 Hz. 100db sensitivity with 60 ohms impedance. Has a 11 foot OFC litz wire cable with left side exit. It is flat the whole spectrum and has no bloomy bass or mids. The highs are very sweet and real sounding. The detail is fab and all instruments and vocals very clean and clear. They list for $150, but look at pro music stoes on the web and you can find a great price on em. Musicians friend is running a sale now at $69.00 With priority U.S. mail is $77 out the door. I had AKG K1000 earspeakers and they were very nice. Listened to them in a closet which was great or to with stereo and only the subs playing. Also had the Grado SR 60. Sr225 and the RS-1. Very nice mids but sorry to say too bloomy and not that clean nor clear enough to hear all the small detail. If you have ever owned or listened to ATC active studio speakers you will know what the ATH-M40fs sound is like. It tells you exactly what the mikes are hearing and what,where and how the sound really is. It is true to all music weather rock,rap, techno, jazz,classicial or any other type musicial endevor. It is very well built and comfee to wear and can be totally rebuilt on location or in the studio. I would truly hope some of the headfiers here that have been into this great and wonderful hobby of headphones like Jude or Kelly would make an effort to obtain these wonderful, neutral and musicial headphones and share thier wide range of knowledge with other fellow headfiers. Always. all the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back