Recommendations for Best headphones on the market (new and old)
Jan 8, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #692 of 1,076
also love my shure se530 here, with an iphone, in the subway, playing apple lossless tracks...

for full size, looking like these denon ah-d7000 are what most say they are and that's from listening out of the box and after xx hours of burn-in.

55351c039ddb9451a061d2649bc0b27e.jpg

besides these, dinos like the stax sigma, classics like the senny 650 are great.

finally, at the apple store, besides those bose quiet comforts they demo, the over the ear cans for about $179 sounds very decent off ipods and iphones. and they tend to be forgotten after a while as they are lite....

paul

Jan 8, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #693 of 1,076
Is the headphone amp on the Zero DAC strong enough to drive the AKG K701? I'm looking to upgrade from the JVC HA-RX900.

Jan 8, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #694 of 1,076
The best portables I can think of would have to be the ATH-ES7's....I like them WAY better than the ER-6i's or any IEMS I have heard. The only IEM on a 0-150 dollar range, that compares to ATH-ES7 for me, would be the Sony MDR-EX90LP, but for some reason, when listening to those, the volume is TINY. If I want to listen to my IPOD, I have to update the volume settings for all my songs on my itunes, and set the volume at the highest level. Kind of frustrating, still, the sound coming out of them is really good.

Jan 14, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #696 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by sixshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After using my Sony MDR-7506 for a long while, I am seeking something to help replace it. I have done a couple of quick glance and was looking at two particular headphones: the Audio Technica ATH-A700 and ATH-A900. Seeing that I am also open to other opinions, I'd like to hear what other folks say about these two as well as suggesting other brand/model as alternative. I do not wish to spend US$300 for the replacement so whatever the price that I see for the A900 seems to be the upper limit (around 250-ish). I listen to a variety of tunes via my PC and sometimes my iPod (but I use my iPod earphones for that) -- rock, jpop, anime tunes, techno/electronica, rap/r&b, orchestra/classical... or "anything except country." I do not have the best hearing in the world. But I'd like to have a decent sound quality as well as staging but they also need to be closed yet comfortable to wear for long listening sessions (4 hours or more). There are also times when I'll be using them for gaming sessions (when I am unable to use my big speakers).

Anyways, I have read/heard good things from Audio Technica but I also know that everyone has different hearing. A friend of mine bought the ATH-A500 and was amazed at the comfort designs for them. I am not particularly fond of in-ear design and I have yet to try that yet. I hope to narrow my choices and selections down to just one or lean on a particular model. But I need some guidance first. As a final question, what is the difference (other than its specifications) between the A700 and A900? Can one model jump make a large difference to warrant the extra cost? Thanks for posting all of your experiences and having a place for me to look through for research.

I am in the same boat sixshot. I have been using the Sony V6/7506's now for nearly 20 years, professionally and non-professionally.

After living with a high quality Audyssey calibrated HT system (using Mackie HR624 Mk II speakers) now for over a year, the treble peakiness of the 7506 is really becoming annoying and I am looking for something smoother that sounds closer to my speakers.

I have not heard any of the AT's but I am now trying the Ultrasone Pro 750 and have a pair of Denon AHD-2000's on the way. Both can be found new for under $300.

I have always been skeptical about burn-in but the 750's really do change during the first 150-200 hours or so.

I like them for the most part, especially the bass, and am waiting for 200 hours to see if the mids smooth out a bit and sound less "plasticky".

--M--

Jan 17, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #698 of 1,076
Etymotic ER-4S

It is a love-hate relationship. When paired perfectly with my headphone amplifiers and players, it is heaven, but a slight modification in my setup can make the ER-4S very flat and bright.

Jan 17, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #699 of 1,076
when paired with the Headroom Max amp, the ER-4s has convincing low end.
when paired with the X-Can V3 tube amp, the ER-4s plays as bright as my new Denon AH-D7000 from the mids to the highs.

the sound of the ER-4s differs quite a lot with the Shure SE530s.
i replaced the real comfortable Shure foam sleeves onto the ER-4s and now they both feels the same. While the SE530s can be driven nicely by ipods and iphones, the ER-4s cannot.

paul

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Etymotic ER-4S

It is a love-hate relationship. When paired perfectly with my headphone amplifiers and players, it is heaven, but a slight modification in my setup can make the ER-4S very flat and bright.

Jan 22, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #700 of 1,076
I'v read through a few pages in this thread and i'v got a feel of what headphones are good, but im still unsure on what i should get.

I want headphones that are good for mixing songs, in specific rap songs. i am looking at spending around $150. open/closed headphones i don't mind either. i don't want headphones that need amps. It would be great if somebody could give me a shortlist of suitable headphones. Than you.

Jan 22, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #701 of 1,076
if you can, go to a apple store and try out the bose on-ear phones. i find that they can be driven very well with ipods. at 179, that's around your target.
they also have many other headphones that you can try at the apple store, all set up with ipods and iphones.

paul

Quote:

Originally Posted by anyday09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'v read through a few pages in this thread and i'v got a feel of what headphones are good, but im still unsure on what i should get.

I want headphones that are good for mixing songs, in specific rap songs. i am looking at spending around $150. open/closed headphones i don't mind either. i don't want headphones that need amps. It would be great if somebody could give me a shortlist of suitable headphones. Than you.

Jan 23, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #702 of 1,076
I've settled on the Audio-Technica ES7 but where do I get a pair in black? A lot of online stores seem to have run out of that color and I'm not sure about the reliability of the rest of the stores. I'm thinking about purchasing them from an Amazon merchant but I've heard of people getting fakes from there too.

Jan 23, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #703 of 1,076
you looking for these?

Audio-Technica ATH-ES7 Portable Headphones - Apple Store (U.S.)

paul

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetelevisi0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've settled on the Audio-Technica ES7 but where do I get a pair in black? A lot of online stores seem to have run out of that color and I'm not sure about the reliability of the rest of the stores. I'm thinking about purchasing them from an Amazon merchant but I've heard of people getting fakes from there too.

Jan 23, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #704 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulchiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you looking for these?

Audio-Technica ATH-ES7 Portable Headphones - Apple Store (U.S.)

paul

Yup, that one. I was hoping to get a better price but if I wanna avoid the fakes I guess my last hope is apple.

Are the ES7 headphones still worth it at $169 or should I move on to another pair of headphones? I was looking for a pair of closed, portable headphones to use while walking around campus. I mostly listen to rock and my source would be an ipod. I have a pair of IEMs but the noise from the wires rubbing against my clothing is becoming annoying.

Jan 23, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #705 of 1,076
quite a few of the in-ear cans no longer suffers from micro-phonics you speak about by cleaning up their cables-noise.

still, many are as you say, annoying.

besides my shure se530, which i do move around in, with my iphone.
i recommend these:

Bose Mobile On-Ear Headset - Apple Store (U.S.)

i like their comfort and a single cable, which is always nicer versus two, when you are on the go.

sorry it's higher priced than the ath-es7

paul

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetelevisi0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup, that one. I was hoping to get a better price but if I wanna avoid the fakes I guess my last hope is apple.

Are the ES7 headphones still worth it at $169 or should I move on to another pair of headphones? I was looking for a pair of closed, portable headphones to use while walking around campus. I mostly listen to rock and my source would be an ipod. I have a pair of IEMs but the noise from the wires rubbing against my clothing is becoming annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back