Recommendations for Best headphones on the market (new and old)
Feb 11, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #556 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmotron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This should help a lot!
biggrin.gif

Thanks, I will look and re-look over that thread quite a bit.
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #557 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElephantTLK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi! I´m looking for an alternative to DT880 (05). I really like them but now i want something that delivers more powerful, deep bass . Open or closed.

Don't the DT770's have a little more bass than the 880's? Or so thats what I have been reading.

Feb 26, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #558 of 1,076
I apologize for this maybe not being the best place to ask this question, and if there is another thread on this site that may help me, please direct me there. I'm considering purchasing a pair of headphones (don't currently own any) and I was looking at the DT880's. Im unfamiliar with how much noise an open phone will put out. My girlfriend will be sleeping in the bed next to me while I'm listening (she's a fairly heavy sleeper) and I'm just wondering if it will output too much noise for her to continue slumbering. I know this is a rather subjective question and any help is much appreciated.

Feb 28, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #559 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by LHS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't the DT770's have a little more bass than the 880's? Or so thats what I have been reading.

I listened to both the 770s as well as the 880s at a guitar center, and chose the 770s because they had more bass. To be specific, I mean the 770 Pro 80s (80 ohm) that guitar center carries.

Here is a graph that corroborates what I heard. Note that the Senn 650 and the 880 have freq response near 0 db in the low bass area, whereas the 770s have +10 db.

graphCompare.php

Mar 7, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #563 of 1,076
I think one of the best bang for the buck headphones on the market by far is the Sennheiser HD555. I have one, and I have done extensive listening test of it against the higher-end HD650. They are so similar that I didn't think spending more for the HD650 is necessary. The HD555 is a tad warmer (highest highs slightly rolled off), and that's about the only thing that stood out for me. For the price, the HD555 are a real steal. They are also extremely comfortable, to the point I forget to take them off all the time even after the music has long stopped.

Mar 17, 2008 at 10:52 AM Post #565 of 1,076
I highly recommend the Denon AH-D2000's for anyone wanting an affordable, full sized and closed set of headphones. Maybe a bit on the bassy side, but is well controlled (which I love).

The HD555's are also a very nice set. I used to listen to classical on them a lot back when they were my best HPs. They can handle most other genres too, just nothing too bassy. I think they are very well worth every cent paid for, more so than any other headphones I have bought (... well maybe except the D2000's
biggrin.gif
).

Lastly, the Audio Technica ATH-ESW9's are a very nice set of portable HPs, that I currently use every day on the walk to Uni.

Mar 17, 2008 at 11:01 AM Post #566 of 1,076
Ok, here's my deal. I currently own 2 pairs of cans.

The Senn 280 Pros, and the Sony 7506.

The big deal about my situation, is that the Senns are much larger and more confortable even though I'd say the Sony's have better bass response.

However, I cannot wear the Sony's cup size for long before pain sets in my ears. I am going to sell them back on ebay ASAP before they lose any value. The Senns are getting beaten up and I may pick up another pair instead, but I was wondering if anyone has a tad better suggestion but the cup size has to fit like the 280's. I need big cups, close/semi closed that fit more OVER the ears so my poor ears do not get sore. I had the Audio Technica m40fs and they also made my ears sore, but not as fast as the Sony's do. Any suggestions. I can get the 280's really cheap right now....around $67 with shipping, and I'd be willing to go up as much as $120 or so for something that is a notch above if it exists because I do some home recording. The Senn 280's might just be "MY" headphone of overall choice because they are good, but they construction started cracking after a few years although they still work perfectly.
The plastic around the control arms cracked.
Someone was mentioning the HD-555....are they as comfortable as the 280 pros? How do they compare?
Or the Beyerdynamic DT770 - how about those. I'd get some used if I had to if they are really THAT good.
Thanks.....

Mar 17, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #567 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by alphaproject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, here's my deal. I currently own 2 pairs of cans.

The Senn 280 Pros, and the Sony 7506.

The big deal about my situation, is that the Senns are much larger and more confortable even though I'd say the Sony's have better bass response.

However, I cannot wear the Sony's cup size for long before pain sets in my ears. I am going to sell them back on ebay ASAP before they lose any value. The Senns are getting beaten up and I may pick up another pair instead, but I was wondering if anyone has a tad better suggestion but the cup size has to fit like the 280's. I need big cups, close/semi closed that fit more OVER the ears so my poor ears do not get sore. I had the Audio Technica m40fs and they also made my ears sore, but not as fast as the Sony's do. Any suggestions. I can get the 280's really cheap right now....around $67 with shipping, and I'd be willing to go up as much as $120 or so for something that is a notch above if it exists because I do some home recording. The Senn 280's might just be "MY" headphone of overall choice because they are good, but they construction started cracking after a few years although they still work perfectly.
The plastic around the control arms cracked.
Someone was mentioning the HD-555....are they as comfortable as the 280 pros? How do they compare?
Or the Beyerdynamic DT770 - how about those. I'd get some used if I had to if they are really THAT good.
Thanks.....

If you want closed full sized headphones, I suggest taking a look at Audio-Technica ATH-AX00 line of headphones. I have the ATH-A900LTD, and they are very nice sounding and very comfortable too. The A500's and A700's are apparently not too different to the A900's and fit your bill (IIRC around about $100 to $150). Can't say anything about the Beyer's as I haven't heard them before.

You could always save up a bit more for the Denon D2000's
wink.gif

Apr 24, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #570 of 1,076
I just read some pages from this thread and become to the decision that there is really no objective opinion. There are tons of headphones and it is really hard to understand which ones are the best. Anyway interesting thread. Some guys telling about the models, which I have never even heared about
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for such discussions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back