Recommendations for Best headphones on the market (new and old)
Nov 8, 2005 at 9:02 AM Post #271 of 1,076
I am completely new to all this, so I won't pretend to have any real information to offer. I listened to some terrible wireless headphones while vacationing over the summer, and kind of loved the freedom of movement and listening to sound so personally. I moved and now live with others so needed phones. First looked into wireless models, took note of various Senns, then decided that wireless wasn't for me. After much deliberation, I settled on the Sennheisen HD595 (~$156 w/o shipping, still listed at ~$260 officially), which, strangely, I haven't seen talked about much here. Supposedly an improvement over the 590, does not need to be driven like the 600 or 650, and has a more forward presentation than other Senns, less laid back, polite, etc, and do not reveal flaws quite so much. Although it does not require an amp, one will apparently vastly improve it, a difference from most of the Grados. I cannot really verify any of this, but I can say that I like them quite a bit. I run them through a PC with an M-Audio Revolution 7.1 sound card. Took me a while to realize that Windows Media Player is godawful, switched to Foobar2000 (MUCH better bass than WM, very very slightly unrealistic production of instruments, could be due to the fact that it separates them so well). Even without an amp (which I plan to purchase), I am hearing details in the music like never before with the HD595. They seem to slightly favor acoustic/live/jazz/many-instrumented recordings. Acoustic/live doesn't make up the body of what I listen to but I am leaning towards it now because it sounds so friggin good! I'm listening to Nina Simone, and I can hear the tiny sounds she makes with her mouth, her feet on the piano pedals. You really feel her at the piano, her contact with it. Once I settle on an amp I'll report on the improvement.
eggosmile.gif

Nov 21, 2005 at 2:39 PM Post #274 of 1,076
The Sennheiser HD580s are sub-$200 always a plus, but I added on the Stefan AudioArt Equinox cables for $200 so for about $400, this is the sweetest setup I have tried yet. Rich bass, yet not overwhelming. Excellent treble, and amazing mids. I listen to a lot of jazz, it sounds like you are actually there and the soundstage is the best I have heard. The only drawback is its portability. The upgraded cable provides a warmer and richer tone, velvety. I have it hooked up to my MF X-Can V3 along with Kimber Kables and I won't be upgrading anytime soon.

Main Rig - Sennheiser HD580 / Stefan AudioArt Equinox Cable upgrade / Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 / Kimber Kable GQ-Mini CU
Portable Rig - Sensaphonics ProPhonic Soft 2X or Bang and Olufsen A8
Home Rig - Creative Gigaworks S750 / PCMCIA Audigy 2 ZS / Creative Decoder DDTS-100

Dec 7, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #275 of 1,076
Sennheiser HD650 - drool
Grado SR80 - great quality and not to mention affordable
Grado SR60 - sigh...
580smile.gif

For portable -
Sennheiser PX100 - great great sound
Koss Ksc75 - great sound for cheap...although if they still make the ksc35- I'll be all over that monkey

Dec 20, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #279 of 1,076
After almost 6 months of Head-Fi, I feel it's time for my contribution.

If I was stuck on a deserted Island, I would want my Pillows, that's the two of them covering my ears, but better known as the MDR-CD3000's!!
3000smile.gif

Jan 5, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #280 of 1,076
hello,

i am looking for a recommendation for a set of headphones for use w/my PC. My main requirements are as follows:

1. **comfort** closed pref, relatively large earcups
2. detail/accuracy
3. able to be driven off of sound card
4. around $200

if anyone has had any luck finding acceptable cans simalar to this, please let me know.

Jan 6, 2006 at 5:52 AM Post #281 of 1,076
I just bought a set of 325i's and I like them alot. I took back a pair of Sony MDR-1709's that I thought were pretty good until I demo'd the Grados. My Grado are not as efficient as the Sony's but separation is much better along with detail.

Jan 13, 2006 at 9:37 AM Post #283 of 1,076
So it seems to me that the HD650's are the best you can get before you hit the 1,000+ mark?

Jan 13, 2006 at 9:59 AM Post #284 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz
So it seems to me that the HD650's are the best you can get before you hit the 1,000+ mark?

One of the possible bests (together with AKG K701, Beyer DT880, DT990, ATH W5000, A900, Stax SRS2020/3030 and many others)...

the "best" can be another for you personally, it depends on your tastes.

Andrea

Jan 13, 2006 at 10:05 AM Post #285 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano
One of the possible bests (together with AKG K701, Beyer DT880, DT990, ATH W5000, A900, Stax SRS2020/3030 and many others)...

the "best" can be another for you personally, it depends on your tastes.

Andrea

I'm looking for new headphones for home under $1000 the only semi nice headphones I have currently are Shure E4C's and an old pair of Sony's MDR-CD470(I know sony's suck)

So far it seems like I should either go Grado RS1 or the HD650's, I wish their was a local store that I could try them out at
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back