Recommendation requested
Jun 25, 2011 at 5:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

peregrinare

New Head-Fier
Hi. I'm planning to purchase a pair of high-end headphones ($1000+) for a road trip, and I need it soon. I have read about various models but haven't been able to0 decide. I am hoping the folks here could recommend something.

This will be my first pair of headphones, as I usually listen to speakers. What I am looking for:

- Musicality over clinical transparency
- Balance between soundstage and instrument separation
- Tight, strong bass
- Engaging, appropriately forward vocals (I want those jazz vocals to stand in front of me with the band to the back or side)
- I can't tolerate harsh trebles

More importantly, I intend to use these headphones while on the road or at a workstation. So, I don't want to carry an extra amp. I  prefer something that can be easily driven by an iPhone or Mac. Finally, I'll use an Ayre QB-9 for high-res music from my computer.

So far, I'm leaning towards the Ultrasone Edition 10 because many people have said it is easily driven by an iPod. That said, I'm very nervous about the sibilance.

Your thoughts would be sincerely appreciated!

Jun 25, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #2 of 14
I recommend the Pioneer HDJ-2000's. They're going for approximately $250 on amazon (I would definitely buy from an authorized dealer since there are fakes out there). Overall, I love them. I tend to like a neutral and balanced sound. Vocals/mids are not recessed to my ears. Bass has great extension and sounds full, although not overbearing at all. Highs are not sibilant at all to me. Basically, everything is just right on these cans and they look pretty nice too. The build is amazing and they're very portable.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/512762/review-shure-srh-840-audio-technica-ath-m50-m-audio-studiophile-q40-pioneer-hdj-2000

You can check that thread out for more detailed impressions.

Jun 25, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #3 of 14
Is this your first time buying a pair of hifi cans or is it a return visit or somewhat?

I'm just seeing someone ask for the overly expensive cans

Anyways, Pioneer is way under budget and worthless to my ears.

Get Audeze LCD-2

they do need to be amped, all cans over the $500 price point need amps no matter what. So read or ask around the LCD-2 thread here in the forums for an amp and maybe a portable amp. Then as you find a DAC/AMP that's portable, get a Sansa Clip+

I'm not kidding, this little house wrecker of a audio player makes me turn away from my trusted Cowon when I'm looking for portable. This way you can carry around a amp which is the same size as a ipod or portable source and then just attach the clip to it. I'm not kidding, I have to say that again. Buy the 8gb version with a 32gn micro sd card to have 40gb of FLAC playback to a DAC/AMP of your choice.

You can also go Grado ps1000, and they do need an amp but great as a portable and studio use. The highest of the Grado line and I absolutely love my Grados. 

The Senn HD800 are more novelty then anything else. I wouldn't touch them without testing them out in a padded room of fear that they might be destroyed if I place them on the table wrongly. Either way, they sound close to my HD598 and not worth the price unless you truely want them.

I wouldn't buy a beyer, shure and some Senn for the life of me. Most if not all of Shure and Beyer are worthless to their price point to sound quality that you receive.

Jun 25, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #4 of 14
If the OP is using these on a road trip, I think he/she would need isolation, no? Aren't the LCD-2's open-back?

And unless you've specifically tried the HDJ-2000's, you really shouldn't comment. 

Jun 25, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #5 of 14

Quote:
Is this your first time buying a pair of hifi cans or is it a return visit or somewhat?

I'm just seeing someone ask for the overly expensive cans

Anyways, Pioneer is way under budget and worthless to my ears.

Get Audeze LCD-2

they do need to be amped, all cans over the $500 price point need amps no matter what.

>>Where did you read this?

So read or ask around the LCD-2 thread here in the forums for an amp and maybe a portable amp. Then as you find a DAC/AMP that's portable, get a Sansa Clip+

I'm not kidding, this little house wrecker of a audio player makes me turn away from my trusted Cowon when I'm looking for portable. This way you can carry around a amp which is the same size as a ipod or portable source and then just attach the clip to it. I'm not kidding, I have to say that again. Buy the 8gb version with a 32gn micro sd card to have 40gb of FLAC playback to a DAC/AMP of your choice.

You can also go Grado ps1000, and they do need an amp but great as a portable and studio use. The highest of the Grado line and I absolutely love my Grados. 

The Senn HD800 are more novelty then anything else. I wouldn't touch them without testing them out in a padded room of fear that they might be destroyed if I place them on the table wrongly. Either way, they sound close to my HD598 and not worth the price unless you truely want them.

I wouldn't buy a beyer, shure and some Senn for the life of me. Most if not all of Shure and Beyer are worthless to their price point to sound quality that you receive.

>> So, I expect that the Grados are worth the price??

To the OP:

Do you want closed-back headphones or open ones and to you take them more on the road trip or at the workstation?

Jun 25, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
If the OP is using these on a road trip, I think he/she would need isolation, no? Aren't the LCD-2's open-back?

And unless you've specifically tried the HDJ-2000's, you really shouldn't comment. 

I have tried them, I didn't enjoy them. though I can see why people like them in the first place.

The open vs closed can debate is worthless in means of isolation. If you want isolation, got IEM. If you want fullsized you better know what you're getting. Have you noticed why 70% of the higher end models of headphones are open? Because a open can gives off better sound quality. 

I think that OP doesn't care about your sub $300 cans when he's asking for over $1000 cans! If you want the greatest sound you can find, anything under $800 will not close, and over $1000 need an amp and most likely be open. And yes, when you move up the scale, the price shows in the sound. You would know that if you have ever tested headphones higher then you pioneer. I myself have traveled around, attended conventions with huge testing booths and know many musicians and producers that I see on a weekly basis. I've tested headphones that can be found in any walmart to cans that you've never heard of before. At the over $1000 range, I still love the LCD-2 because they blow out everything in the water, just short of the ps1000

there also is the Beyer Tesla T1, but I wouldn't buy them because you cna get much better at their price, but if you want closed, they are the way to go. I can't remember if they need an amp or not...

Jun 25, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #7 of 14

Quote:

To the OP:

Do you want closed-back headphones or open ones and to you take them more on the road trip or at the workstation?

I confess, 75% of headphones above the $500 range don't need amp, the same as they all don't need amps. But without an amp, the sound quality you are paying for will not come out perfectly. But then, if you match a amp badly with the can, it could produce the same effect as if you would go without an amp.

Grados are worth their price, but then there is always something better. The Ps1000 are great headphones, but if you can't stand Grado, then stay away. 

I believe he would like Closed, and more portable as possible.

Also, OP, would you mind buying 2 sets of headphones? 1 for studio/home, and 1 for portable without an amp? That would be a lot easier

Jun 25, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #8 of 14
Sorry for being off topic but where is the reason that Grados are worth their price??? (I am not talking about their headamp because this is sth "special")

Really I didnt get it..

Your personal opinion, I suggest..

Jun 25, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
I have tried them, I didn't enjoy them. though I can see why people like them in the first place.

The open vs closed can debate is worthless in means of isolation. If you want isolation, got IEM. If you want fullsized you better know what you're getting. Have you noticed why 70% of the higher end models of headphones are open? Because a open can gives off better sound quality. 

I think that OP doesn't care about your sub $300 cans when he's asking for over $1000 cans! If you want the greatest sound you can find, anything under $800 will not close, and over $1000 need an amp and most likely be open. And yes, when you move up the scale, the price shows in the sound. You would know that if you have ever tested headphones higher then you pioneer. I myself have traveled around, attended conventions with huge testing booths and know many musicians and producers that I see on a weekly basis. I've tested headphones that can be found in any walmart to cans that you've never heard of before. At the over $1000 range, I still love the LCD-2 because they blow out everything in the water, just short of the ps1000

there also is the Beyer Tesla T1, but I wouldn't buy them because you cna get much better at their price, but if you want closed, they are the way to go. I can't remember if they need an amp or not...

Agreed that open cans sound better, however, I strongly disagree that closed cans are worthless when it comes to isolation. IEMs are great but alas not everyone prefers to stick things in their ears. I use NYC subway trains every day - sure my HD-25's and M50's don't isolate 100% but they do a damn good job enough for me to enjoy them and the music. Closed phones are stepping up their game when it comes to isolation + SQ (i.e. Beyer DT1350).

IMHO, a high-end open can, on the other hand, is worthless if you're listening to them in a noisy setting.

Jun 25, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #10 of 14
Thanks for all of the comments, guys. I really appreciate it! I've been at the office and just finished the day.

So, I bought the Edition 10. I had to pull the trigger and make a decision. Hopefully, it won't require an amp, as I hate carrying extra gear. Someone asked about buying two pairs, I prefer my speakers at home. These will be for work and trips.

That said, let's say the Edition 10 turns out to be terrible without amp. What's a good portable amp you would recommend?

Jun 25, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #11 of 14
Thanks for all of the comments, guys. I really appreciate it! I've been at the office and just finished the day.

So, I bought the Edition 10. I had to pull the trigger and make a decision. Hopefully, it won't require an amp, as I hate carrying extra gear. Someone asked about buying two pairs, I prefer my speakers at home. These will be for work and trips.

That said, let's say the Edition 10 turns out to be terrible without amp. What's a good portable amp you would recommend?

I dont think you will enjoy them. The Edition 10s are known to be very subjective. Some love them and others absolutely detest them. Their bass level is also known to be very low. Lastly, you WILL NEED an amp to go with these.

If you purchased these at more than $2000, I strongly advise you return them if possible. For that price there are many better options IMO.

Jun 26, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #13 of 14

Quote:

A very good portable amp would be the Stepdance from Meier Audio. Further you can get the first version used.

Concenring the ED10. I hope you are liking them!!

If not there is also the option to get the ED8.

Jun 26, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #14 of 14
I hope you end up liking the Ed. 10.  As others have said, it is a headphone that many people have mixed feelings, at best, about.

If I really wanted a portable headphone at that price range, I would've picked the Ed. 8 or, since it looks like open headphones aren't a problem for you, an Audez'e LCD-2, since they are easily driven compared to a lot of headphones at their price range and compared to other orthos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back