Recommendation for a DAC or AMP with "black" background ?
Feb 27, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #46 of 56
Black background? This is an amp but the thx 789 aaa is like listen to sound in space. So much no sound between notes it feels like you are in a vacuum with no air. Its like this on all dacs currently listening to a new audiolab m-dac+
Do you also have such impression with your new Violectric V222?

Feb 27, 2024 at 10:04 PM Post #47 of 56
Do you also have such impression with your new Violectric V222?
No v222 out from the box sounds richer with more density.

Feb 28, 2024 at 3:18 AM Post #49 of 56
So, you would say something is constantly filling the air, like some constant reverb in the background filling all the voids?
Is the bass fast and tight or it has a longer decay?
I dont want to say to much its new. Its tight and I do listen to closed headphones though well damped. Its not bloated or anything

Feb 28, 2024 at 3:59 AM Post #50 of 56
It also depends on how resolving the headphones/speakers are. The black background.

Feb 28, 2024 at 4:09 AM Post #51 of 56
It also depends on how resolving the headphones/speakers are. The black background.
Indeed, and also amp/headphone synergy. For example, K371 sounded pretty bloomy with some extended reverb, longer bass decay on Phonitor, while K712 sounded more tight. But when I use SR35 DAP then it is vice versa - K712 could have some very slight kind of background echo while k371 is like a black 'abyss' with SR35 (K712 is also very good on SR35, I am just exaggerating differences for easier explanation).

Feb 28, 2024 at 9:49 AM Post #52 of 56
Indeed, and also amp/headphone synergy. For example, K371 sounded pretty bloomy with some extended reverb, longer bass decay on Phonitor, while K712 sounded more tight. But when I use SR35 DAP then it is vice versa - K712 could have some very slight kind of background echo while k371 is like a black 'abyss' with SR35 (K712 is also very good on SR35, I am just exaggerating differences for easier explanation).
Holographic experience is also very much connected to the state the mind is in. A pessimistic mind is locked, optimistic mind can be a fantasy/placebo. The best experience when the mind is disconnected from rational thought, any thought. Just music. No numbers and measures.

It sounds like a joke, but it is "dangerous" mindset to only listen to the changes and tweak. It will be less music joy, and more of a sport.

Therefor I see it is as very important to have a goal with what is being done as tweaks.

You seem to be dedicated to have the black background. I assume what you are saying here:
So, you would say something is constantly filling the air, like some constant reverb in the background filling all the voids?
Is the bass fast and tight or it has a longer decay?
You are not looking for an "airy sound" in the top notes right?

What I think you should aim for is a darker sound/texture(DAC), not veiled. This will also make the music less distracting because of all the information an details in the high frequencies are not dominating. However, If you "feel like it", you can still hear them but they are not the important factor.

If you want to feel the background like in this scene(from Stranger things 5)

images.jpg

Don´t aim for a brighter sounding DAC.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #53 of 56
Holographic experience is also very much connected to the state the mind is in. A pessimistic mind is locked, optimistic mind can be a fantasy/placebo. The best experience when the mind is disconnected from rational thought, any thought. Just music. No numbers and measures.

It sounds like a joke, but it is "dangerous" mindset to only listen to the changes and tweak. It will be less music joy, and more of a sport.

Therefor I see it is as very important to have a goal with what is being done as tweaks.

You seem to be dedicated to have the black background. I assume what you are saying here:

You are not looking for an "airy sound" in the top notes right?

What I think you should aim for is a darker sound/texture(DAC), not veiled. This will also make the music less distracting because of all the information an details in the high frequencies are not dominating. However, If you "feel like it", you can still hear them but they are not the important factor.

If you want to feel the background like in this scene(from Stranger things 5)

images.jpg

Don´t aim for a brighter sounding DAC.
Very interesting write up...I was thinking also about psychoacoustic effects. One of the reasons why I always like to do blind tests.

For me it all started with SR35 DAP. My first reaction to it was 'what is this ?! how is it so different than anything else?!' I had a feeling like something is missing in the sound but it was so pleasing. So I wondered what is missing, something is absent but I do not know what?! I realized soon it was that background echo, or reverb, extension of the notes which is missing. I believe someone will say it's not good, someone would love more 'loose' and liquid presentation. That kind of reverb which I always find in desktop amps is certainly pleasing to someone. I like it gone.
Another feeling was like it is just quiet somehow. All the background vocals and instruments were like pushed out of the shadows, becoming clearly defined. You can follow some background instrument clearly throughout all track. You can listen to it at very low volume, you will still hear everything. Somehow volume doesn't matter. In one word: it is meditative.

I thought I am fantasizing, so I performed a lot of blind tests - I could always tell when music play through SR35, in 100%. So, it is a real thing.

Since then I am looking for it but as a desktop solution and it is not an easy quest...

Mar 12, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #54 of 56
I just realised how much ethernet part added to the black background after it was offline for 5-6months: Afterdark X1 and Masterclock(alibaba)

Meanwhile I have been using the motherboard ethernet which was musical and joy, the Afterdark X1 and the Masterclock added to the black level to such a degree I kind of felt lonely because of the unforgiving/technicalities.

The masterclock is new so it is early to judge it.

Black level is everywhere, the journey is to find the right amount. Don´t only look in amp and dacs.

Mar 12, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #55 of 56
That afterdark appear to be some serious snakeoil. When they need to write an entire essay with strange audiophilia language to try and sell its a clear warning sign.

Mar 13, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #56 of 56
That afterdark appear to be some serious snakeoil. When they need to write an entire essay with strange audiophilia language to try and sell its a clear warning sign.
I don´t read I listen with my ears. Does it beat the motherboard ethernet? - YES!.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back