Aug 17, 2010 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

AlterEgo

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I need help choosing headphones for guitar practice,
the headphones will be connected to a Vox Tonelab ST
amp modeler effects pedal.

I would prefer full size over the ear design, rather than on ear,
I don't mind if they're open or closed, whichever's best, for my needs.

I've considered, in no particular order -
Audio Technica ATH M50
Shure SRH 440 / 840
Sennheiser HD25-1 II
Sennheiser HD555
Superlux HD668B
AKG K271 MKII
AKG K240 MKII

I would like the phones to be full range flat response, and not harsh
or enhanced at the higher frequency end.

Thanks
Garry

Aug 17, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #2 of 19
Welcome to Head-Fi!

I'm sure you can get some feedback on the headphones you're considering.  If you want more options to be thrown out there, what is your budget?  And if you're using it mostly for your guitar and not for critical music listening for larger pieces, are you OK with some roll-off on the bass and treble?

Aug 17, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #3 of 19
the m50 is pretty hard to beat.
i think you'd need closed headphones.
after all, isn't the whole point of practicing thru headphones to not disturb others?

Aug 18, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #5 of 19

Hi thanks for the replies,

Quote:
You are missing the Grado sound for guitar. 

I'd prefer over the ear, which is why I haven't considered Grado's, but if they are the best option, then I would look at them.

Quote:
the m50 is pretty hard to beat.
i think you'd need closed headphones.
after all, isn't the whole point of practicing thru headphones to not disturb others?

The headphones are mainly for guitar practice, sound leakage is not a problem as I practice alone, the point is to avoid disturbing the neighbours, so open or closed should be fine, whichever's best.
The M50 was my main choice, I was put off by reviews stating it's not good for rock and more suited to electronic music?

Quote:
Welcome to Head-Fi!

I'm sure you can get some feedback on the headphones you're considering.  If you want more options to be thrown out there, what is your budget?  And if you're using it mostly for your guitar and not for critical music listening for larger pieces, are you OK with some roll-off on the bass and treble?

More options would be welcome my bugdet is £120 pounds or less. I probably would use them to listen to iTunes or Spotify on my computer, but main use and purpose would be guitar practice.

Aug 18, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #6 of 19
Sennheisers 555 and Audio Technica M50 are both quite flat frequency response phones. HD25-1 II is also well corrected but with hights not so pronounced. The least harsh on high tones is AKG K240 MKII. Plus You get 5m spiral cord and 2 sets of earpads.

For response characteristics, I'd go:
- Sennheiser 555
- Audio Technica M50
- Sennheiser HD25-1 II

As a workhorse (my choice), I go for K240 MKII.

Aug 18, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #8 of 19
I'd say pick up a pair of Grado SR 80s.  They are almost always referred to as the best headphones for rock due to thei foward mids.

Aug 18, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #9 of 19
AKG 240MKII is not harsh and good for guitar practice. I tried practice with Grado headphones, I found that they fall off my head easily and the cable is way too short.

I'd get something with single sided and user replaceable cable like 240MKII. Headphone cable will break easily if you run your 100lbs cab over it
tongue.gif

Aug 18, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #10 of 19
It's well outside my realm of expertise, but I'd probably agree with Cankin and some of the others that suggest headphones that are more designed as studio monitors.  While I don't doubt the people who support Grados for listening to rock, I'm not sure they'd be a great choice for actually practicing with.  There's a little bit of a difference, in my mind, between listening to something for entertainment and listening critically for tonal differences and subtleties within the sound you're producing while practicing.  I also personally find Grados a little on the harsh side, but that's just in my experience and I know lots of people who love the sound.

If secondary use will be listening to music and stuff on iTunes, do you have an amped output for your headphones on that setup?

Aug 18, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #11 of 19

Quote:

If secondary use will be listening to music and stuff on iTunes, do you have an amped output for your headphones on that setup?

I don't have an amped output for listening to music on the computer, I would prefer headphones that sound fine unamped, it's not that often I listen to music on my computer, so I'd rather not spend more than the price of the phones at the moment.

Would the AKG 240MKII need a headphone amp for use with the Vox Tonelab ST? 

Aug 18, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #12 of 19
I'd poke around on the forums to find out more about the AKG 240, since there are quite a few out there.  Unfortunately, I don't have first hand experience with them, but a quick search seems to bring up a few posts where people mention that they can sound OK unamped, but will scale if you do decide to amp.  If a standard mp3 player can drive them, I wouldn't think you'd have problems with other audio equipment like your effects pedal, but you may want to do more research or find someone who has experience with them.

Aug 18, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #13 of 19
I have plugged my ATH-A700 in to my line6 amp (PoS I know) and they sound pretty good. They are about $120 USD and they are closed , over the ear, and very comfortable.

Aug 18, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
I'm going to have to start calling you the A700 Banner Carrier, Conrthomas.  LOL

They are my first good headphones, and I am extremely pleased with them.
My post count goes up as the Audio Technica sales go up I guess.

But I'll carry that banner, no problem
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back