REAL bose vs skullcandies thread
May 9, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #17 of 123
neither,

currently very impressed by my Velleman HPE1. That's a skullcandy for 1/4 the price. There so cheap that a buddy of mine and me are gone order the HPE10 and HPE11 also, so for a very small amount of my precious money, i will have the opportunity to experience a sony (HPE10) and a mylar (HPE11). for those interested in the sennheiser MV90, check out the HPE5.

HPE1 -> skullcandy SC-SBW3.5 / vsonic vs-r02pro
HPE5 -> Sennheiser MX 90 VC
HPE10 -> sony MDR-EX85LP
HPE11 -> MylarOne CrossRoads X3i

And still planning to mod the HPE1 to see if i can smooth out the highs and get a little better mid. Crude measuring showed the HPE1 outperformed all my headphones in low end (including my friends q-JAYS), but has a dip in the 2khz section of -10 db and a high boost of 10 db. So want to mod it by replacing the paper protection cloth with foam and adding a resistor to increase the impedance.

May 9, 2008 at 8:07 AM Post #18 of 123
They are not equally bad, bose should just be like 40$ and the skullcandy's should be illegal.

May 9, 2008 at 8:15 AM Post #19 of 123
OMG! Skulcandies seriously looks fantastic, but purely based on sound quality, I voted bose. Their no too bad, just too expensive.

May 9, 2008 at 8:55 AM Post #20 of 123
yeah but skulls got the dr dre version. i think that is cool though i don't know who he is other than a rap artist. bose are pretty cool i guess and i still don't see the overpriced, amazing marketting. i have seen only 1 or 2 bose in the wild. most are senns, sony and well... even beyer more often. so many more shures etc.

how can bose be popular if i've seen only two?

May 9, 2008 at 11:23 AM Post #21 of 123
i voted bose because yes...we all have a laugh about how bad thier products are considering price, if money was no object and not involved id take bose products over skullcandy anyday.

skullcandy's are cheap and sound and feel cheap, the bose products are of high end price and mid range quality still outperforming cheap ***** skullcandy crap.

May 9, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #23 of 123
A buddy of mine at work has the Bose on-ear cans. He let me borrow them when I started having issues with my SR80s a few months back. I could barely stand to listen to them; being used to the crystal clear brightness of the Grados it was too stark a contrast going to those bass-bloaty, muddy midrange, uninspiring highs of the Bose. I'd rather listen to my Beyer DT 231s that I picked up for $20 over those $200 Bose any day.

May 9, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #24 of 123
I voted for those ugly-ass Skullcandies, just because I love hanging out at the mall food court, buying all my punk T-shirts at Hot Topic, and texting on my Go Phone while rocking out to Linkin Park and Fallout Boy...

NOT!

May 9, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #25 of 123
I'll take skullcandy. Bose is a mediocre product pretending to be fine to take advantage of a clientele with a lot of cash and only a little consumer knowledge (buyer self-justification: "I heard these are supposed to be the best, and I recognize the brand"), skullcandy is happy to be flashy junk without lying about being something else. (buyer self-justification: "look at these riduculous things! sweet!") Coming from the other direction, I'll take the teenager's uncritical taste for flash over the smug businessman thinking he's made a smart purchase-- the first might lead to good taste in time, while the other never will, because it thinks it's already there.

May 9, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #26 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll take skullcandy. Bose is a mediocre product pretending to be fine to take advantage of a clientele with a lot of cash and only a little consumer knowledge (buyer self-justification: "I heard these are supposed to be the best, and I recognize the brand"), skullcandy is happy to be flashy junk without lying about being something else. (buyer self-justification: "look at these riduculous things! sweet!") Coming from the other direction, I'll take the teenager's uncritical taste for flash over the smug businessman thinking he's made a smart purchase-- the first might lead to good taste in time, while the other never will, because it thinks it's already there.

Really great point, facelvega.

Sage words, indeed!

Nylan

May 9, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #27 of 123
LOL, well said, my friend...

May 9, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #28 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I voted for those ugly-ass Skullcandies, just because I love hanging out at the mall food court, buying all my punk T-shirts at Hot Topic, and texting on my Go Phone while rocking out to Linkin Park and Fallout Boy...

NOT!

x2!!!!

May 10, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #29 of 123
i wouldn't be caught dead wearing skulls on my head. i cringe at all the baggy pants'd snowboarders wearing pink fuzzy skulls. *shudder* but also i wouldn't pay for the crap that is bose. i demoed both the triports on and around ear. nether impressed me over my $30 pans. sure the on ear ones are bassmongers but with what i listen to that dosen't cut it for me. i want to be able to hear my vocals instead of a muddy slur *their already hard enough to discern without adding that to it. lol* so yea both should die or at least the bose price slashed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back