RAZ's TOTL review and rambles thread, on life support
Jan 1, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #1,201 of 3,674
yo @mvvRAZ , check out this MASSIVE tune with your iems and get blown

never understood why people have given up on this period/genre (early 00s prog house), when it kicks so much ass

Jan 1, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #1,202 of 3,674
Honestly the Elysium has almost made that a deal breaker for me going forward...at least for hybrids. The DD mids of the Ely are a revelation and I'm not sure I'll ever be able to go back to less.

If it's worth anything I've never heard anything with better mids than Elysium, and that was on a 1Z which I understand isn't a good pairing with them.

Jan 1, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #1,203 of 3,674
If it's worth anything I've never heard anything with better mids than Elysium, and that was on a 1Z which I understand isn't a good pairing with them.

It was a good pairing for me since I could EQ Ely’s lower treble down a few dB (it’s just me and my very sensitive hearing towards lower treble spike and sibilance :relaxed: )

Jan 1, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #1,204 of 3,674
If the secret sauce is the DD for midrange, I wonder why noone has tried a flagship with DD bass and a separate DD for mids. BA bass, no matter how good, leaves out a fundamental physicality in music that I find essential for realism. Though I get how Ely might be fantastic for music where physical bass isn't absolutely essential.

Jan 1, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #1,205 of 3,674
Honestly the Elysium has almost made that a deal breaker for me going forward...at least for hybrids. The DD mids of the Ely are a revelation and I'm not sure I'll ever be able to go back to less.

I had that problem for a while... a good half year where I could only listen to full BA setups or the Elysium. Got over it after a while and now I go for hybrids with exceptionally textured mids like the sultan and thummim (and most recently the Noir which I’m loving so far)

@gLer I think drivability might be an issue. The elysium is already stupid hard to drive, so adding another DD in there might send it into something like Ra territory. Also with the Elysium’s somewhat small staging and heavyweight midrange, adding properly impactful DD bass might make it feel quite congested.. there’s definitely a lot of potential in something like that though imo

yo @mvvRAZ , check out this MASSIVE tune with your iems and get blown

never understood why people have given up on this period/genre (early 00s prog house), when it kicks so much ass

I used to listen to a whole bunch of Frankie Knuckles back in the day, will give it a go!

Jan 1, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #1,206 of 3,674
If the secret sauce is the DD for midrange, I wonder why noone has tried a flagship with DD bass and a separate DD for mids. BA bass, no matter how good, leaves out a fundamental physicality in music that I find essential for realism. Though I get how Ely might be fantastic for music where physical bass isn't absolutely essential.

I understand where you're coming from though you might be surprised. I think my forthcoming review of the Elysium is going to be called "This is the Way". The beauty of Elysium's signature is the extent to which it is able to fully open up the mid-range and I think that this wouldn't be possible with the thicker denser bass that a DD provides. I listen to a lot of electronic and I'm amazed to find that only in an extreme one or two cases so for do I actually kind of miss the DD. One album that sounds better on Ely than anything else I've tried is Daft Punk's Random Access Memories. YMMV, of course, and I know there will be people for whom the Elysium is not there thing...though imho anyone into high quality portable audio right now who doesn't at least give Elysium a shot is potentially missing out on something truly great.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #1,207 of 3,674
Time for another 64 Audio shill session, and this time we are doing none other than their ultimate TOTL, the Fourte Noir! Naturally, no one is to post about the Noir without mentioning the one and only Tiger Ears, @Vitaly2017!

As I mentioned in the 64 thread some time ago, I found the OG Fourte to be this odd combination of extremely smooth and buttery mids, paired with this really harsh, in your face treble. The Fourte Noir to me isn't necessarily a Fourte upgrade, but in a way it does still appeal to a most broad "treble head" category IMHO.

Disclaimer: I found the Fourte Noir to be extremely responsive to sources. This review is based on the LPGT exclusively, but your impressions might vary significantly depending on what DAP you've got paired with them.

I found that there are two definining characteristics of the Fourte Noir - the tubeless presentation and the upper treble. As @aaf evo described it, it feels like the sound is appearing out of nowhere, which I also experienced when I heard the FiR M5 and the OG Fourte. It's very hard to describe, but you really cannot feel the IEM producing the sound as one would with a traditional tubed IEM like say the A18S. I suppose that is the "speaker-like" presentation that people have mentioned in their Noir reviews. I can't really say that I expressly prefer that to regular IEMs, it works very well for the Noir but it isn't something that I'd necessarily want in every IEM I own

The bass on the Noir has pretty enjoyable decay with spectacular texture. It is a dynamic driver that's been given freedom to show off. The quantity is certainly above neutral but I wouldn't put it as far as basshead territory. Off the WM1Z though, the bass was pretty crazy in both quantity and texture. Back to LPGT impressions though, a mild bump with a really good balance between speed, texture and decay. Very enjoyable lows all around, with some focus on the subbass over the midbass.

The midrange on the Noir is a little weird, but not too much so. For the most part I found it to be quite linear with a decently even balance between the lower and upper midrange. There's a little upper midrange forwardness that mostly presents itself in the highest vocal registers, which oddly enough sounds pretty enjoyable. Vocals don't sound bloated but they "assume" that bite once vocalists really go at it, and that actually feels like a pretty realistic presentation. The forwardness is also resolved through an even more forward upper treble, which pushes instruments slightly above vocals, and also extremely wide staging which gives space to instruments to perform regardless of the occasionally oversized vocals.

In terms of texture, the midrange is very consistent and coherent with the bass in that it is extremely well textured without being overly thick.

The treble... dayum. I love it, but that isn't to say that it'll work for everyone. It has what might just be the most upper treble that I've heard on any monitor ever. The 1266 TC approaches but doesn't quite reach it. I think my sensitivity to upper treble is pretty much non-existent, and I do really enjoy it, so the Noir works especially well, but it will also hit the sensitivities of so many people. I've spoken to friends who weren't able to get through so much as a song because of the treble on the Noir lul

In terms of extension - spectacular. Sparkle? I personally found it a little bit more on the drier and faster side, but tia treble has a smoothness to it that makes it very pleasant to listen to. I found the IER Z1R to be quite hot in comparison for example. The lower treble is also quite flat, making the Noir much more enjoyable than the OG for more mainstream performances.

Staging - exceptionally wide, and exceptionally holographic. The height is also very impressive, and competes with the very best. With the amount of upper treble the detail and sense of space/air are naturally quite good. Instrumental separation is on point, but I feel that the speaker-like presentation that I mentioned earlier somewhat gets in the way of the separation. It isn't bad, it's just not as exaggerated as the rest of the technical ability of the Fourte Noir.

Overall verdict? Great for me, but a very cautious recommendation to anyone with an upper treble sensitivity. Certainly worth experiencing though

1B79E72B-217B-4055-A8DA-59304EA08EE5.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #1,208 of 3,674
Time for another 64 Audio shill session, and this time we are doing none other than their ultimate TOTL, the Fourte Noir! Naturally, no one is to post about the Noir without mentioning the one and only Tiger Ears, @Vitaly2017!

As I mentioned in the 64 thread some time ago, I found the OG Fourte to be this odd combination of extremely smooth and buttery mids, paired with this really harsh, in your face treble. The Fourte Noir to me isn't necessarily a Fourte upgrade, but in a way it does still appeal to a most broad "treble head" category IMHO.

Disclaimer: I found the Fourte Noir to be extremely responsive to sources. This review is based on the LPGT exclusively, but your impressions might vary significantly depending on what DAP you've got paired with them.

I found that there are two definining characteristics of the Fourte Noir - the tubeless presentation and the upper treble. As @aaf evo described it, it feels like the sound is appearing out of nowhere, which I also experienced when I heard the FiR M5 and the OG Fourte. It's very hard to describe, but you really cannot feel the IEM producing the sound as one would with a traditional tubed IEM like say the A18S. I suppose that is the "speaker-like" presentation that people have mentioned in their Noir reviews. I can't really say that I expressly prefer that to regular IEMs, it works very well for the Noir but it isn't something that I'd necessarily want in every IEM I own

The bass on the Noir has pretty enjoyable decay with spectacular texture. It is a dynamic driver that's been given freedom to show off. The quantity is certainly above neutral but I wouldn't put it as far as a basshead territory. Off the WM1Z though, the bass was pretty crazy in both quantity and texture. Back to LPGT impressions though, a mild bump with a really good balance between speed, texture and decay. Very enjoyable lows all around, with some focus on the subbass over the midbass.

The midrange on the Noir is a little weird, but not too much so. For the most part I found it to be quite linear with a decently even balance between the lower and upper midrange. There's a little upper midrange forwardness that mostly presents itself in the highest vocal registers, which oddly enough sounds pretty enjoyable. Vocals don't sound bloated but they "assume" that bite once vocalists really go at it, and that actually feels like a pretty realistic presentation. The forwardness is also resolved through an even more forward upper treble, which pushes instruments slightly above vocals, and also extremely wide staging which gives space to instruments to perform regardless of the occasionally oversized vocals.

In terms of texture, the midrange is very consistent and coherent with the bass in that it is extremely well textured without being overly thick.

The treble... dayum. I love it, but that isn't to say that it'll work for everyone. It has what might just be the most upper treble that I've heard on any monitor ever. The 1266 TC approaches but doesn't quite reach it. I think my sensitivity to upper treble is pretty much non-existent, and I do really enjoy it, so the Noir works especially well, but it will also hit the sensitivities of so many people. I've spoken to friends who weren't able to get through so much as a song because of the treble on the Noir lul

In terms of extension - spectacular. Sparkle? I personally found it a little bit more on the drier and faster side, but tia treble has a smoothness to it that makes it very pleasant to listen to. I found the IER Z1R to be quite hot in comparison for example. The lower treble is also quite flat, making the Noir much more enjoyable than the OG for more mainstream performances.

Staging - exceptionally wide, and exceptionally holographic. The height is also very impressive, and competes with the very best. With the amount of upper treble the detail and sense of space/air are naturally quite good. Instrumental separation is on point, but I feel that the speaker-like presentation that I mentioned earlier somewhat gets in the way of the separation. It isn't bad, it's just not as exaggerated as the rest of the technical ability of the Fourte Noir.

Overall verdict? Great for me, but a very caution recommendation to anyone with an upper treble sensitivity. Certainly worth experiencing though

1B79E72B-217B-4055-A8DA-59304EA08EE5.jpg
Have you ever heard the Trio? Just wondering how the Noir compare. I love the Trio and those would be top contenders if I could only have a single pair, so curious if the Noir would be like "the Trio on steroids"-sort of thing.

Jan 1, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #1,209 of 3,674
Have you ever heard the Trio? Just wondering how the Noir compare. I love the Trio and those would be top contenders if I could only have a single pair, so curious if the Noir would be like "the Trio on steroids"-sort of thing.
I heard the Trio but unfortunately I only had a brief session. I didn’t find it very exciting though as (from memory), it felt a little like AirPods on ultra roids - a focus on the bass/upper mids/lower treble

Jan 1, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #1,210 of 3,674
I heard the Trio but unfortunately I only had a brief session. I didn’t find it very exciting though as (from memory), it felt a little like AirPods on ultra roids - a focus on the bass/upper mids/lower treble
Stock cable? I got them paired with the PlusSound GPS Exo and that works a treat.

Jan 1, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #1,211 of 3,674
Stock cable? I got them paired with the PlusSound GPS Exo and that works a treat.
Yup and it was just at a canjam, so those are very general impressions. Definitely need to give it another try!

Jan 1, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #1,212 of 3,674
One album that sounds better on Ely than anything else I've tried is Daft Punk's Random Access Memories.
That's very interesting, and a big call. RAM is one of my definitive test albums for...you guessed it...bass! But, also for mids, stage and the ability of an IEM to handle complexity (especially in the crescendos to Giorgio By Moroder (aka one of the best test tracks of all time) and Contact). The viscerality of the kicks in that album is what makes it for me, but like you say, we all listen out for different parts of the music. I'm certainly keen to hear the Ely one day, and see if it turns all my preconceptions and bass addiction on its head.

Jan 1, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #1,213 of 3,674
That's very interesting, and a big call. RAM is one of my definitive test albums for...you guessed it...bass! But, also for mids, stage and the ability of an IEM to handle complexity (especially in the crescendos to Giorgio By Moroder (aka one of the best test tracks of all time) and Contact). The viscerality of the kicks in that album is what makes it for me, but like you say, we all listen out for different parts of the music. I'm certainly keen to hear the Ely one day, and see if it turns all my preconceptions and bass addiction on its head.

Yeah the Ely really opens up the mids and that album really benefits from it...the vocals in particular, and guitars etc. really come alive...and the bass is more than adequate.

Jan 1, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #1,215 of 3,674
Said no basshead. Ever. :p

Yeah man I get it...it's the main reason I refused to commit to one prior to demoing. I look forward to hearing your thoughts if and when it does cross your path again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back