Ray Samuels Audio -> "The Tomahawk"
Oct 27, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #61 of 310
Since there's really not a whole lot we can say about Ray's Tomahawk yet, here's some Tomahawk pics I put together - NOT from the vendor's site:

Here's a the Tomahawk velcro'd beneath an iPod -- sure looks tiny:
02.jpg

Wonder when Ray will announce the official launch date?
tactical-tomahawk_020823-n-9999x-00.jpg

Remember, with the Tomahawk as with the Hornet -- and indeed in general -- be very careful about using Lithium batteries:
Toma2.jpg

Yes we will set aside a little table space for the Tomahawk at the Nov. 4 meet:
tomahawk_blockiv_040929-n-0295m-001.jpg

I asked Ray (in the now legendary non-thread) if he'll offer my favorite Racing Green with Gold, but it looks like Orangey-Red will be offered first:
Tomahawk_cruise_missile_carrying_mi.jpg

If it sounds as good as it looks, it could really take off:
slcm3.jpg

Cheerio! That's the end of my missile --- err, I mean missive.

Oct 27, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #62 of 310
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis
Ray Samuels have just put up a sneak preview page of his upcoming ultra-portable amplifier.
"The Tomahawk", which is smaller than "The Hornet" and targeted IEM users.
smily_headphones1.gif

Source: http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/index3.html

I know 'Romanee' posted two (2) threads about this amplifier, but both threads seems to have vanished!

------------------->>>>>>>>>>>>>> running around the room jumping up and down!!!!!!!!<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<----------------------------

[size=medium]YES!!! PERFECT FOR MY TINY NANO!!!!!!!!!![/size]
very_evil_smiley.gif

It's actually great that I'm broke right now and didn't go Hornet right away. A rare case where being broke is a benefit.
biggrin.gif

Oct 27, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #63 of 310
You're a real piece of work, Peter... and I mean that in the nicest possible way!
wink.gif
You're more create than the average accountant. No wait, you're not an accountant are you? I thought all creative people were?
confused.gif

Oct 27, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #64 of 310
This amp seems to scream e500s. It should match them quite well.

Oct 27, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #65 of 310
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Ray, you never cease to amaze me! You let the folks at Ultimate Ears tattoo "RS" on your back side? R on the left cheek and S on the right?
blink.gif
evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

Ha Ha Haaaaa...
You always translate my thoughts the wrong way, you devil,
You...
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Ray samuels

Oct 27, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #66 of 310
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4metta
This amp seems to scream e500s. It should match them quite well.

Well, from these latest pics it screams, at least -- or is it whisper quiet in transit?

Oct 27, 2006 at 3:57 AM Post #67 of 310
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
You're a real piece of work, Peter... and I mean that in the nicest possible way!
wink.gif
You're more create than the average accountant. No wait, you're not an accountant are you? I thought all creative people were?
confused.gif

No I can't count ants. If I could count at all my finances would be lots better and I could buy all the amps instead of borrowing them. I guess I'm a no-account-ant. Otherwise I'd probably be a creative accountant -- and we know that's not a good thing.

Actually Wayne, I work in this industry:
BirthOAds.jpg

No, I don't design the "suits" -- I just make 'em look good.

People think advertising is for young creatives, but judging from its origins -- I'd say it's perfectly suited to us old farts.

If you hang around horses a lot, like my wife and I do, that has real, down-to-earth significance -- unlike the Tomahawk which has a much more elevated purpose.

Oh Wayne, please don't tell me I'm crapping up this thread! (At least I referred to the Tomahawk twice in this post...)

Oct 27, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #69 of 310
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
O.T.-

Hey Filburt. Is it just me, or is it that every chance you get, you try your darndest to dump on a Ray Samuels product?

Nevermind, don't bother answering. It's clearly obvious.

He raises legitimate concerns. The sheer amount of battery life that this thing can get from just 2 AAA's is mind-boggling, and if true, would limit the actual amplification of the amplifier.

Oct 27, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #71 of 310
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire
He raises legitimate concerns. The sheer amount of battery life that this thing can get from just 2 AAA's is mind-boggling, and if true, would limit the actual amplification of the amplifier.

I suspect he was referring to this post: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...4&postcount=37

A small point, as usual.

Oct 27, 2006 at 4:50 AM Post #72 of 310
Cool!!

Any ideas on where it will land price-wise?

IMHO it does look pretty tiny. At first I didn't really think so... but if you compare it to the 1/8 TRS connector and those UE10s,[size=xx-small] it looks pretty tiny to me.[/size]

Hey Ray... any possiblility of an "alternate" model? Maybe the tomahawk PCB mounted in a slightly larger enclosure, using AAs instead of AAAs? For those who would prefer the added run-time?

AAs typically offer more Mah per dollar than AAAs. Some AA cells are up to 3000 Mah, while AAAs are around 900Mah.

I know you are very protective of your designs... so please don't take this as an attack/or insult... that's not my intent
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
I understand that mods may delete this post if it is inappropriate in any way.

Thanks for the sneek preview!!

Ray... please feel free to PM me if you wanted to borrow my Jayes engineering D-Jayes IEMs. And use them to tweek your design. I think I'm one of the few USA members who owns these IEMs. I'd love to collaborate in any way.

Looking forward to meeting you and shaking your hand at the big meet in San Jose.

Thanks again!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Garrett

Oct 27, 2006 at 4:56 AM Post #73 of 310
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire

FWIW... my little dot micro runs for weeks on a pair of alkaline AAAs. Granted its NO WHERE near the level of amplification of any of Rays amps.

So... I guess anythings possible.

Oct 27, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #74 of 310
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
FWIW... my little dot micro runs for weeks on a pair of alkaline AAAs. Granted its NO WHERE near the level of amplification of any of Rays amps.

So... I guess anythings possible.

well, 420ish hrs is more like quarter year's worth of listening for me, which means current draw is <3 ma, so i dunno how much amplification this can pull off, that's all.

Oct 27, 2006 at 6:26 AM Post #75 of 310
Un like the Hornet, I like this amp. really like this amp...almost excited about it.

This is an amp that goes perfectly with my Sensa's in size and sound.
Sound? yes I heard the toma with my sensas and to be honest it has a warm,fast,punchy, and huge sound to it (using my Sensa's).

Custom IEM owners and people who own general fitting IEM's will love this amp. I heard the amp against a few others using 600's and while I won't coment about what I heard in detail I can say this amp can drive the 600's..but its really not to be compared with the sound with my sensa's..oh omg.

no offense to Ray but this Toma is what the orignal hornet should of sounded like....atleast with my Sensa's.

now Ray..
tell me B52 buyers get one of these free,...... joking! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back