Ray Samuels Audio -> "The Tomahawk"
Oct 26, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #31 of 310
Hmm, I find this claim of 420 hours (7*10*6) a bit strange. On 1000mAh cells (the largest Thomas Distributing sells of rechargeables), that would mean around 2-2.5mA draw, which is less than the output current of many of our portable audio devices. Radioshack lists Energizer Lithium "e2" AAA cells at 1250mAh, which would push us to around 3mA or so...still not very helpful. Maybe there is some sort of uber-AAA out there that I've yet to find thus far, though. Given artears' comment about driving the Senns, it sounds like there isn't much headroom in terms of current output, either. I can think of a few configurations which might keep the quiescent draw under 2.5mA using certain micropower op-amps that may meet the aggregate description of performance here, but I don't know if it would keep under 3mA draw once driving IEMs (although, again, maybe there is some extraordinarily high capacity AAA out there that has escaped my attention).

Oct 26, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #32 of 310
Yipes, suddenly there are a lot of new portable amps to try! I'll probably get one of these...and a Loarocco Diablo...sheesh...

Oct 26, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #33 of 310
This amp looks very interesting, however, if I was going to buy one I would need a custom case. I wonder if Ray would do """""Tomahawk""""" for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #34 of 310
looking at the pics on ray's site, it reminds me of the SNL skit with steve jobs and the increasingly small ipod...amps seem to be going the same route, eh?

Oct 26, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #35 of 310
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
Romanee don’t stress. You’re just a friend and fan that really likes Ray’s products and I personally don’t see the need for you or anyone for that matter in such a position to provide a disclaimer or explanation.

The Tomahawk is a cool looking and extremely small IEM amp. When I saw it at the So Cal meet, I got excited about it too. And I thought it sounded pretty good for a portable amp during the very brief time I spent with it.

Can someone tell me what's up with the Tomahawk's jacks? Rubber rings and weirdly bent somewhat circular brass looking things. It looks like Ray’s got another hot product on his hands.

The amps in the picture are the only two Tomahawks built. They are prototypes with the finished case. They are not the production cases but look identical to them. This may explain why the jacks look like that. I should have asked at dinner Friday night.

Oct 26, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #36 of 310
Makes the Hornet look massive!!
biggrin.gif
Knowing how small the Hornet is, I can't really picture or fathom how small the Tomahawk will feel in my hands! It's about time someone gave Dr. Xin Feng some competition
tongue.gif

Oct 26, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #37 of 310
Are we looking at the same pictures? It looks smaller than the Hornet but not tremendously so. I'm not even sure it's smaller in volume than the Supermini, let alone as small as the Supermicro.

Oct 26, 2006 at 11:37 PM Post #38 of 310
Quote:

Originally Posted by Filburt
Are we looking at the same pictures? It looks smaller than the Hornet but not tremendously so. I'm not even sure it's smaller in volume than the Supermini, let alone as small as the Supermicro.

Looks to be about 1/2 the size of the Hornet

Oct 26, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #39 of 310
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
looking at the pics on ray's site, it reminds me of the SNL skit with steve jobs and the increasingly small ipod...amps seem to be going the same route, eh?

What about the cell phone that Ben Stiller used? It was smaller than a Wheat Thin
rs1smile.gif

Oct 26, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #41 of 310
Quote:

Well I think it is quite a bit smaller. It's got a smaller footprint AND its got a lower profile. Size-wise, it will be in the same sort of range as the Supermini, though the Supermini may be even smaller and lighter. However, I don't know how powerful the Tomahawk will be given that it's going to run on 2 tripleAs. Also, the 420 hour battery life is ridiculous (in a good sense) and makes it pretty economical to run. I understand that the 420 hour battery life may only be possible with sensitive IEMs.

Oct 26, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #42 of 310
Quote:

It is not as small as the supermini but it is quite a bit smaller than the Hornet.

Oct 26, 2006 at 11:55 PM Post #45 of 310
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
The amps in the picture are the only two Tomahawks built. They are prototypes with the finished case. They are not the production cases but look identical to them. This may explain why the jacks look like that. I should have asked at dinner Friday night.

Mike...
The US Rep, of the manufacturer of those mini connectors, approched me with those new connectors, they are very well made. Gold contacts & very small, size wise, they do look different, but they work great. After a lot of tests I decided to go with them.
I am working on the detail of the "Tomohawk" with pictures of the rear panel of the amp & it's gain switch. They will be posted in the manufacturers sponsored thread, please
wait until I get every thing togather & post all the info in that new thread.
Thanks.
Ray Samuels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back