Ray Samuels Audio -> "The Tomahawk"
Oct 26, 2006 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 310

krmathis

Head-Fi's Most Prolific Poster
Ray Samuels have just put up a sneak preview page of his upcoming ultra-portable amplifier.
"The Tomahawk", which is smaller than "The Hornet" and targeted IEM users.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

The Tomahawk...
Dedicated for the ultimate listening pleasure of the IEMs,
6 weeks, at 10 hours, of listening, A DAY from 2 AAA batteries, at resolution you can never imagine.
More detail will unfold soon.

Source: http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/index3.html

I know 'Romanee' posted two (2) threads about this amplifier, but both threads seems to have vanished!

Oct 26, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #3 of 310
and if there was any doubt about the target audience, "IEM" is emblazoned on the case! very interesting, it probably has a built in resistor to deal with the lower ohms of IEMs...too bad i'm freaked by IEMs otherwise i'd love a listen! i'll try them with Grados anyhow, what the heck
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #4 of 310
Nice! I wonder how it compares to the larger Larocco ISA Diablo, which is also designed specifically for IEMs. I also wonder what the price is! I'm sure it's much cheaper than the Diablo.

Oct 26, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #5 of 310
very interesting. i wonder if it can drive power hungry headphones the way the supermicro can. it is still pretty big compared to the supermicro. let's see how the tomahawk will sound.

Oct 26, 2006 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 310
I saw the RSA Hornet in person for the first time this week and was amazed at how small it was. Now this? The man is a God. An expensive, out of my budget God.

Oct 26, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #7 of 310
nice....very nice...i wonder how it sounds compared to it's bigger brother/brothers

Oct 26, 2006 at 8:11 PM Post #9 of 310
CAREFUL! Jude explained (in a most friendly manner) that he deleted my threads because he felt they looked like vendor ads or self-promotion, and because they used photos from the vendor's site -- and thereby violated Head-Fi policy, which I had not realized when I started the thread. (The thread here in "Amps" was just a notice and link to the main thread that I had mistakenly put in "Headphones" in my excitement, and was hoping the mods would move here ... but... oh well.)

[size=medium]About the only difference between my thread and this one is that I used huge colorful letters asking the mods to move the thread here from Headphones Forum.[/size]

For those who saw it for the 10 minutes or so that it existed, please know that Ray did not put me up to it, I am not affiliated with Ray Samuels Audio, Ray has never offered me anything nor have I ever accepted anything from Ray. I was just very excited to see the new page and pics, as is the OP of this thread.

Please do not use pics from Ray's site. I would suggest you delete the pics for the moment. We'll take pics at the Nov. 4th NYC meet.

After the amp has been heard by one or more members, then an impressions thread can be posted, which I will do after the Nov. 4th meet, which -- as far as I know right now -- will be the official debut presentation of the amp in its custom case (rather than as a raw, caseless prototype, as the Hornet was first presented).

I certainly have not yet heard the amp and obviously cannot comment on it in any way, other than it will be interesting to hear it and learn what it can do.

Oct 26, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #10 of 310
OT, but can someone tell me really quick what the 'm' mod Hornet is?

Oct 26, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #12 of 310
Quote:

Originally Posted by toastmaster
OT, but can someone tell me really quick what the 'm' mod Hornet is?

Go to the meet impressions forum, and read the NYC Portables meet thread. There's a buttload of info on the M Hornet.

Oct 26, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #13 of 310
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren
very interesting. i wonder if it can drive power hungry headphones the way the supermicro can. it is still pretty big compared to the supermicro. let's see how the tomahawk will sound.

I listened to them with Senn 600s. With the power they have, coming from 2 AAA batteries, you cannot listen to high sound levels, that is when the clipping occurs. But at low sound levels, they can drive Sennheisers (although this is not their intented usage). I can also say that, although Hornet is more detailed, Tomahawk is not bad at low sound levels with Senn 600s. Frankly, I did not think it could even drive those cans. Ray himself told me that they are specifically developed for IEMs, thats why they have IEM written over them
wink.gif
. I did not try them with IEMs though and did not put too much time with Senns as well (this wouldn't be fair to Tomahawk). I already have a Hornet (and love it), which can drive anything and the size of it does not bother me at all. If you have IEMs and want a very small portable setup, then you might as well give this amp a try. Hope this helps.

Oct 26, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #14 of 310
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
Go to the meet impressions forum, and read the NYC Portables meet thread. There's a buttload of info on the M Hornet.

Perfect, thanks.

Oct 26, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #15 of 310
Romanee. Ok, then I understand why both of your threads vanished!
I am not affiliated with Ray Samuels Audio either, so I hope this thread would be allowed to stay. At least after I removed the image...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back