Rate the video games you're currently playing
Aug 27, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #631 of 6,937
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrOutside /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oblivion still looks artificial if you reduce the HDR lighting options as well as the DX9 full bloom (and looks fairly poor without the bloom). Call it a matter of taste, but I think morrowind still looks a lot better. In screenshots, oblivion has a clear upper hand, but the graphics dont immerse you into a unique world like they do in morrowind IMO.

I do see where you are coming from. Oblivion IS a prime example of next-gen (today-gen that is) graphics done wrong, everything is overdone just for the hell of it. But I still prefer that to Morrowinds static lighting without shades and life.

This conversation reminded me of this VGCats comic, and they hitted the nail.
VG Cats - The world ends with Update, If you want to enjoy life, expand your Update.

Sep 16, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #632 of 6,937
Resistance: Retribution for PSP... HOLYCRAP/10!

I'm only a couple of hours into this game, but I can already tell that it really is fantastic. Sony nailed the PSP controls on this one! Great graphics, great sound, and decent story line. What's not to like?

No PSP flaming, thank you.

Sep 27, 2009 at 10:18 AM Post #636 of 6,937
Halo ODSTs

All I can say is it's made beautifully and it isn't letting me down in the least. I had high expectations and this game has beaten them, it looks beautiful, the music is beautiful, the combat is a lot of fun, the story is great. Second on the halo list only to halo 1.

10/10

Sep 30, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #638 of 6,937
Revisited Left 4 Dead's brand new 'Crash Course' campaign on expert...it's good, and probably the most challenging finale yet.

Looking forward to giving versus a try on it.

Still a 9 or 9.5 for me.

Sep 30, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #639 of 6,937
Sid Meier's Railroads!

Addicting and fun but with limiting appeal. There isn't much to do after I meet all the requirements of the map. I suppose multi-player would add something extra. 7/10

The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition

I never played the original and I'm not sure what to think of this one. I'm sure I would have loved it when I was 14. I haven't gotten far enough to rate it yet.

Prince of Persia

Don't care for it much. I'm not a big fan of platformers. 5/10

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Just starting this one. So far it seems ok

Sep 30, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #640 of 6,937
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superchunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Batman Arkham Asylum 10/10
Great game! quite possibly the greatest Super hero yet!

I'm playing this as soon as I have time...how long's the gameplay?

Sep 30, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #641 of 6,937
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of the things you learn playing any SMT game is to save often. P4 is actually the easiest, the other games (particularly Nocturne and DDS) are built upon incredibly unfair combat, cheap deaths, and giant repetitive trial-and-error dungeons.

Out of curiosity, when does this kick in during DDS(1)? I just started a few days ago, and it doesn't seem all that challenging. I will agree that compared to P4 (which I might add was pretty easy), it is more difficult. Hell, the fact alone that your MC can 'die' during combat is helpful enough.

As mentioned above: Digital Devil Saga. So far, 8/10. Given that I love the social-sim aspect of his other games, I didn't rate this one as highly. However, that aside, the game itself is tremendous. The story, while slow so far, is quite compelling, and fairly well written. Gameplay is great, just what I'd expect from a MegaTen game. Though I don't see the benefits of transforming in to Human Form yet, perhaps it'll become more useful later.

I'm also on and offing DW: Gundam II. It's entertaining from an otaku standpoint, but I couldn't easily recommend this game to anyone. I got it for cheap, and knew what I was getting into, so "Oh well". Keeps me busy, and has so much replay value.

Oct 1, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #642 of 6,937
You guys should play Demon's Soul (PS3) - there is no such thing as "save the game first just in case".

No save feature, so if you screw up, you screw up. Everything is autosaved in almost real time.

Oct 2, 2009 at 9:18 AM Post #643 of 6,937
America's Army 3: Still some bugs in 3.06 but at least its playable by now most of the time - if they get that sorted and add some more of the promised content before to long I'd guess most would move from AA2 to 3 before Santa comes to town. All the training sessions are both better, more realistic and longer for the most part without being too boring with to much unusable theory in the game aspect there was in some AA2 classes. There are only 5 maps as of now however of which most are not really A grade work but at least they got several modes like VIP, defend and secure, carryable object etc.
As an realism game I'd give it 7/10 within its limits and maybe 8-9 when they fix the last few big bugs and add the first additional maps and MOS's etc.
9/10 for potential how ever - the first dev. team clearly didn't care enough by the look of the initial bug list (by now after 6 patches its just about where other reasonable commercial games are at on gold/launch) and few things are are not polished enough graphically etc..

Just downloaded ARMA 2 (via steam of course - small developer teams with good products need their money!) someone save my soul...

Oct 3, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #644 of 6,937
I've just tried Risen demo for pc...i have almost quit computer gaming except for some good, long single player RPGs, the last one i finished was Gothic 3, so i think i will give Risen a go...

Oct 7, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #645 of 6,937
I've been playing Bubble Bobble Neo and Bust a Move Live on Xbox Arcade. Good old Taito adds just enough to these series to keep them going and rekindle the love I have for them. I do find my attention span seems to wane after about 60-70 levels of Bubble Bobble Neo, but I've been able to get through all 100 on occasion. I really wish they had Live multiplayer though, it seems like such an over-site not to have it. 7/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back