Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Dec 7, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #22,036 of 24,653
If you move on to other resistance films ie Norway, Holland and Denmark, you will find a plethora of late Miniseries and fairly decent films that go unknown outside of Europe.

Yesterday was Finland's Independence day, so the all time classic war movies were playing all day on the tv.
If our conflict against Soviet Union interests anyone, Tuntematon Sotilas (The Unknown Soldier, 1955, 1988 and 2017) and Talvisota (The Winter War, 1989) can be recommended, if you can find a version with your preferred subtitles.

I haven't seen the latest Tuntematon Sotilas though, so I can't personally say if it's any good.

Dec 8, 2018 at 2:09 AM Post #22,037 of 24,653
Operation Finale - 6/10

This one is about the capture of Adolph Eichmann in the 60s.
Found it pretty dull and something i'd forget easily.
Funny that this is listed as a "thriller". Not very thrilling.

In Harms Way (8.5 or 9/10) - aka "The Chinese Widow"

This is not the John Wayne movie and is actually a foreign language film starring Emile Hirsch and Crystal Liu.
What surprised me when starting this movie was that it was directed by Bille August.
He's a film director from Denmark and when I was younger I really liked some of his movies.
Two good ones were "Pelle the conqueror" and "Smilla's Sense of Snow".

Anyway, this one takes place during WWII after the USA bombed Tokyo and hard to ditch their planes over China.
For me this movie was kind of believable. I had hoped it was based on real people, but I'm pretty sure it was all made up.
It IS based on true events. The pilot in the movie is not based on a real person. I wish it was!

I can see why some people may not like this, but I did a lot.
One negative is that the CGI is not great, but I think this is probably a lower budget movie.
I kind of wanted to see more of what happened at the end and in the future, but they ran out of time I guess.

It's considered a romance, but I don't think so at all really.

PS some parts of this movie reminded me of "The Beautiful Country" and "Casualties of War".
The first one is a must see and totally underrated. The other is too dang depressing to watch more than once.
Michael J Fox doesn't seem to get enough credit for his acting. I think it's pretty good.

Another good suggestion is "Three Seasons". It's an American film shot in Vietnam and starring Harvey Keitel.
I really like the director Tony Bui and hope he gets to make more movies.
I just found his film "Green Dragon" in the $1 section at a used DVD store.

Anyone seen "Swallowtail Butterfly" from Japan?
That's an all time favorite and made me a fan of Chara.
That movie actually must have 3 or 4 different languages in it and actors from many different countries.

"Samsara" by Pan Nalin is also amazing. Too bad his films are so hard to see in the USA.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #22,038 of 24,653
Pearl Harbor - 4/10

One of the worst WW2 movies there is.
It's painful to sit through the first 1 1/2 hours.
At that point the Japanese finally attack Pearl Harbor.
They did an OK job with this part at least.
Most of the movie is terrible.
It's pretty bloated and should be a lot shorter.
It's disappointing they didn't spend much time on what happened after the Doolittle Raid.

Even the soundtrack and camerawork is annoying.
It's like they thought it was cool to have half the movie shot at an angle.
Don't get me started on the dialogue they wrote for this film.
It's like they tried making a soap opera or something.
Maybe Ben Affleck's character is based on a real person? (Just checked, Fictional of course).

Watch "Tora, Tora, Tora" instead!
The movie "Isoruku" is also good if you can find it.
I don't know how accurate it is though. A lot of people on Amazon seem to hate it, but I loved it.

Another one I liked is about a group of Japanese soldiers that stayed behind after the war had ended and would not surrender.
Bad acting from the American actors, but it was an interesting story. I think it's called "Oba, The Last Samurai".
Based on a book/true story.

Dec 16, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #22,039 of 24,653
Roma - 3/10

The whole movie is just boring and pointless.
So many scenes are just filler filled nonsense that have no real purpose.
It was a chore to sit through this movie and by the end I just wish I skipped it.
PS 75% of the movie is probably scenes of a housekeeper doing her job. No, really.
I guess it did a good job of portraying men as horrible people.

BTW I hated the director's two previous films too, so maybe this is why I didn't like this one much.

Watch "Scent of Green Papaya" or "Eureka" from Japan instead.
Those are a lot better and two of my favorite foreign films.

Dec 17, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #22,040 of 24,653
A Simple Favor 7/10

I found this movie to be quite interesting. Plus Blake Lively is super hot and a very interesting character in this movie. The first hour really drew me in but it got a little crazy towards the end. I mean yeah the ending was a bit...much? Anyway I'd definitely recommend a watch with the GF or wife for a casual movie experience. Nothing too series nor is it meant to be taken as such. Has a couple funny but oddly placed bits of humor as well.

Dec 19, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #22,042 of 24,653
Fahrenheit 11/9 - 9/10

Probably one of Michael Moore's best movies. Second best was "Where to Invade Next", which I loved.

BTW I was surprised how little this movie focused on Trump.
I guess that's a good thing because many are sick of hearing about him 24/7 in the media.
That's also maybe why this movie did so poorly at the box office.

A lot of the stuff in this just makes me angry, especially what happened in Flint etc.

Dec 19, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #22,043 of 24,653
Schindler's List - 9/10

Forgot about this one! This one is even better than I remember.
At times it also seems like something out of your worst nightmares.
It's hard to believe humans are capable of being this evil.
This got even better after having learned a lot more about the holocaust.
Some scenes reminded me of the old french film "Night and Fog".

I really regret missing this when it played recently at the theater.
It's still on Netflix though.

What I need to do now is track down "Shoah" and try to finish all 10+ hours (I think).

One movie I highly suggest is the TV version of "Anne Frank" with Ben Kingsley.
IMO it's the best version out of all 3 versions i'm aware of.

Dec 20, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #22,044 of 24,653
Schindler's List - 9/10

Forgot about this one! This one is even better than I remember.
At times it also seems like something out of your worst nightmares.
It's hard to believe humans are capable of being this evil.
This got even better after having learned a lot more about the holocaust.
Some scenes reminded me of the old french film "Night and Fog".

I really regret missing this when it played recently at the theater.
It's still on Netflix though.

What I need to do now is track down "Shoah" and try to finish all 10+ hours (I think).

One movie I highly suggest is the TV version of "Anne Frank" with Ben Kingsley.
IMO it's the best version out of all 3 versions i'm aware of.
just for the end I'd give it 11/10. from the moment he's given the ring until long after the movie has ended, I'm leaking non stop. I have tears coming just thinking about the scene right now, and I'm not an easy client when it comes to empathy(that's putting it lightly). art punched me in the face many times, but this is special.

Dec 24, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #22,045 of 24,653
White Christmas, a 1954 movie starring the Goddess of Grace personified Vera-Ellen with a supporting cast of Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye and Rosemary Clooney.

Bing and Danny are a couple of Army vets who meet a pair of sisters in show business and work together to put on a presentation for a charitable cause.

The extravaganza is executed to experience the most exquisite entity ever to ennoble the Earth with her elegance, Vera-Ellen. The show has been repeated all day on SHOWTIME and I've tuned in several times just to see this scene where they showcase her as Mandy:

10/10 for the Merry Christmas in that scene alone.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #22,049 of 24,653
Ballad of Buster Scruggs - 9/10

This was a surprise because I usually don't like Cohen brothers movies all that much.
The storylines were kind of pointless, but I mostly liked it for the set designs, cinematography and all the interesting characters.
It's one of those movies I could watch even if it was mostly just people talking (like the "Before Sunrise" series).
It's not amazing or anything, but after the movie I kept thinking about it.
I wouldn't mind watching it again.
I could seriously go for a TV series based on short stories like this.
Someone needs to get it done!!
BTW I finally started to kind of like "Fargo" after watching it several times.
"Blood Simple" is one of my favorites directed by them I think.

The Big Sick - 6/10

Another one starring Alice Longabaugh..I mean Zoe Kazan from the above movie.
This could have been way better but I didn't like the script too much.
Some of the dialogue and scenes were painful to sit through.
One of the worst was when Ray Romano had to sleep in Kumail's apartment.
Ray Romano's character was especially awful.

I know that many scenes are not supposed to be funny, but overall I didn't find the comedy in this all that funny.
I actually liked the two main characters in this the most. If it was mostly them in the movie I would have liked it more.
I definitely wouldn't mind seeing Kumail Nanjiani and Zoe Kazan in more movies.
This was actually based on a true story I think!

PS I would have rated this a 5, but it got a lot better towards the end.

White Boy Rick - 8.5/10 (maybe a 9!)

I was surprised this was so good. Only bad parts are towards the end.
Main character isn't very convincing though. It'd be interesting to know how similar he was to the real life person.
Probably one of the better movies i've rented this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back