flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 23, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #7,771 of 39,414
Great review Daniel!

Feb 23, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #7,773 of 39,414
I was looking out for you on Sunday, asked a few times if you had dropped by. Maybe next time :wink:

I'm honored man, but TBH also pretty surprised. Thought you leaned towards the basshead category, and you recently posted BA bass didn't do it for you? Phantom has good bass, but it's still BA bass nonetheless. Would have expected that the Legend was the one for you(?)

Next time for sure! Was reeally looking forward to going both days, wouldn't have missed it unless I had to. Definitely looking forward to grabbing a few drinks with you and everyone next time around!

I was indeed originally going to get Legend X (who knows, I might still get it in a month or two for the prefect set :L3000:), as that BASS seems like it's too good to pass up. However I've realized lately that what I have truly been craving is an IEM that really becomes the music. One that takes the shape of whatever music is played through it, and portrays it in as realistic a way as possible. As cliche and overused as that statement is, I haven't heard one, or even heard of one based on my interpretation of signature descriptions, that does that.

Much of my desire for great sub-bass in IEMs I've tried comes from listening to a few songs where I know the track puts a great emphasis on that region, yet there wasn't enough low-end extension in the IEM to be able to communicate that part of the track. At the same time some tracks have barely any bass at all. When I demoed the A18 recently I noticed it placed too much emphasis on mid-bass for me - there was a thump thump thump that was sort of always on and became annoying to me after a while. Phantom may not have sub bass quantity that'll rip the earth apart, but it sounds like its has fantastic extension and will certainly give you that when the track presents it.

Similarly I listen to a lot of music where vocals play a huge role, and I kept looking for an IEM that placed them a little more forwards and in a warmer, more natural way.

I also wanted one where the soundstage would be great in all three directions - width, height, and depth, so that it would be more true to life, and not skewed in one direction or another.

So in short, I wanted a warm, natural IEM that would act sort of like a chameleon (as one user mentioned recently) to the music, so that each song would be as true to life (what I consider to be organic) as possible, with great extension on both ends and fantastic vocals. Or indeed like a Phantom, where the IEM disappears and all that remains is the music in all its natural glory (totally winging it on the origin of the name :dt880smile:).

It certainly sounds like the Phantom fits that description, or perhaps the one that has come closest to that description to me :L3000:.

Then later on when funds replenish I'll get the Legend X for when I want some skull shaking BASS!

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #7,774 of 39,414
However I've realized lately that what I have truly been craving is an IEM that really becomes the music. One that takes the shape of whatever music is played through it, and portrays it in as realistic a way as possible. As cliche and overused as that statement is, I haven't heard one, or even heard of one based on my interpretation of signature descriptions, that does that.

Much of my desire for great sub-bass in IEMs I've tried comes from listening to a few songs where I know the track puts a great emphasis on that region, yet there wasn't enough low-end extension in the IEM to be able to communicate that part of the track. At the same time some tracks have barely any bass at all. Phantom may not have sub bass quantity that'll rip the earth apart, but it sounds like its has fantastic extension and will certainly give you that when the track presents it.

Similarly I listen to a lot of music where vocals play a huge role, and I kept looking for an IEM that placed them a little more forwards and in a warmer, more natural way.

I also wanted one where the soundstage would be great in all three directions - width, height, and depth, so that it would be more true to life.

So in short, I wanted a warm, natural IEM that would act sort of like a chameleon (as one user mentioned recently) to the music, so that each song would be as true to life (what I consider to be organic) as possible, with great extension on both ends and fantastic vocals. Or indeed like a Phantom, where the IEM disappears and all that remains is the music in all its natural glory (totally winging it on the origin of the name :dt880smile:).
Congrats! I think you might have just finished a basic Phantom review with the above parts :grin:
Btw, it surely had enough sub bass (rumble) quantity for my personal taste.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #7,775 of 39,414
Congrats! I think you might have just finished a basic Phantom review with the above parts :grin:
Btw, it surely had enough sub bass (rumble) quantity for my personal taste.
Thanks! Are pre-reviews a thing? Maybe I'll start that :ksc75smile:

Feb 23, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #7,776 of 39,414
Next time for sure! Was reeally looking forward to going both days, wouldn't have missed it unless I had to. Definitely looking forward to grabbing a few drinks with you and everyone next time around!

I was indeed originally going to get Legend X (who knows, I might still get it in a month or two for the prefect set :L3000:), as that BASS seems like it's too good to pass up. However I've realized lately that what I have truly been craving is an IEM that really becomes the music. One that takes the shape of whatever music is played through it, and portrays it in as realistic a way as possible. As cliche and overused as that statement is, I haven't heard one, or even heard of one based on my interpretation of signature descriptions, that does that.

Much of my desire for great sub-bass in IEMs I've tried comes from listening to a few songs where I know the track puts a great emphasis on that region, yet there wasn't enough low-end extension in the IEM to be able to communicate that part of the track. At the same time some tracks have barely any bass at all. When I demoed the A18 recently I noticed it placed too much emphasis on mid-bass for me - there was a thump thump thump that was sort of always on and became annoying to me after a while. Phantom may not have sub bass quantity that'll rip the earth apart, but it sounds like its has fantastic extension and will certainly give you that when the track presents it.

I also wanted one where the soundstage would be great in all three directions - width, height, and depth, so that it would be more true to life, and not skewed in one direction or another.

It certainly sounds like the Phantom fits that description, or perhaps the one that has come closest to that description to me :L3000:.

Then later on when funds replenish I'll get the Legend X for when I want some skull shaking BASS!
giphy (2).gif

giphy (6).gif

Attachments

• giphy (3).gif
    giphy (3).gif
    846.2 KB · Views: 0
Feb 23, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #7,777 of 39,414
I played a couple recordings, I don’t remember the name of the songs, that had a lot of sub bass. I’ve mentioned it In other posts on various threads, but would like to reiterate that the Phantom will rumble if you’re feeding a source that rumbles. This is not a light sounding headphone or IEM by any means. I see this all the time in two channel audio where people want more and more bass. They will listen to a speaker and claim it doesn’t have enough bass, when in fact it does if you’re using the correct amplifier As well as the correct source. You can get an IEM that will manufacture sub bass when the amplifier is not sending it to the IEM , but that’s also not real bass. It’s what folks want as it does add a lot of fun to tons of music. There is a huge market for this in all of Audio. Speakers like Wilson make a top living using this model.

Feb 23, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #7,778 of 39,414
I played a couple recordings, I don’t remember the name of the songs, that had a lot of sub bass. I’ve mentioned it In other posts on various threads, but would like to reiterate that the Phantom will rumble if you’re feeding a source that rumbles. This is not a light sounding headphone or IEM by any means. I see this all the time in two channel audio where people want more and more bass. They will listen to a speaker and claim it doesn’t have enough bass, when in fact it does if you’re using the correct amplifier As well as the correct source. You can get an IEM that will manufacture sub bass when the amplifier is not sending it to the IEM , but that’s also not real bass. It’s what folks want as it does add a lot of fun to tons of music. There is a huge market for this in all of Audio. Speakers like Wilson make a top living using this model.

This is so very true. An IEM is capable of so much - especially in terms of bidirectional extension and thus note resolution, texture, solidity, etc. - if you power it with a very capable source. This will come into play in impressions I’ll be posting over the weekend. Stay tuned... :wink:

EDIT: I should mention that I’m talking about more than just driving power. @piotrus-g ’s FIBAE IEMs have definitely helped me evaluate these aspects in a much easier manner. :D

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #7,779 of 39,414
This is so very true. An IEM is capable of so much - especially in terms of bidirectional extension and thus note resolution, texture, solidity, etc. - if you power it with a very capable source. This will come into play in impressions I’ll be posting over the weekend. Stay tuned... :wink:

EDIT: I should mention that I’m talking about more than just driving power. @piotrus-g’s FIBAE IEMs have definitely helped me evaluate these aspects in a much easier manner. :D

Can’t wait to read Daniel. Your reviews are outstanding to say the least

Feb 23, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #7,780 of 39,414
Any takes on the Massdrop Plus Universal IEMs, anyone? Thanks

Feb 24, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #7,781 of 39,414
Hey all
Wanted to run something by the collective mind of this thread.
Is your experience the same that when out and about, e.g .walking to the buss/train, on the train, etc. the sounds changes from the from walking and outside noise..
Basically the lower frequencies dissapears
I haven't done any detailed studies but when i go to and from work for 40 minutes i usually EQ the bass up.
Anyone experiencing the same?
Reason for me asking or thinking about this is that i'm eyeing the Legend -X as my "on the move" ciem to make sure the bass still is there.
Just wanted to check if i'm imagining things or not. The fit of the CIEM:s are great so it's not that they move or anything..

BTW.
However the more i read it feels like the legend X is like the zeus with much more Bass and a little leaner treble and the phantom has more bass, warmer midrange and a smother treble..
Am i wrong ro does it seem that the phantom could be more different from the Zeus than the Legend-x? Then i also have the VE8 which also seems quite close to the legend X with added Bass?
Possibly i'm wrong? this is based on reading the different reviews.. Not sure what to think, or if i just should sell my Utopias and order both :)

Feb 24, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #7,782 of 39,414
Nic would be the best one to answer. The X will never ever be bass shy. That I can promise you lol. I got the Phantom but both are cool

Feb 24, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #7,783 of 39,414
Hey all
Is your experience the same that when out and about, e.g .walking to the buss/train, on the train, etc. the sounds changes from the from walking and outside noise..
I haven't done any detailed studies but when i go to and from work for 40 minutes i usually EQ the bass up.
Reason for me asking or thinking about this is that i'm eyeing the Legend -X as my "on the move" ciem to make sure the bass still is there.
Just wanted to check if i'm imagining things or not. The fit of the CIEM:s are great so it's not that they move or anything..

BTW.
However the more i read it feels like the legend X is like the zeus with much more Bass and a little leaner treble and the phantom has more bass, warmer midrange and a smother treble..
Am i wrong ro does it seem that the phantom could be more different from the Zeus than the Legend-x? Then i also have the VE8 which also seems quite close to the legend X with added Bass?
Possibly i'm wrong? this is based on reading the different reviews.. Not sure what to think, or if i just should sell my Utopias and order both :)

The only cause I can think of for your lost bass is the seal breaks with each step, due to vibration. When you stop moving, the CIEM settles and seals again. Then when you start walking again, it dislodges.

I haven't noticed this with my CIEMs. Maybe your fit isn't as snug as it could be.

Feb 24, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #7,784 of 39,414
The only cause I can think of for your lost bass is the seal breaks with each step, due to vibration. When you stop moving, the CIEM settles and seals again. Then when you start walking again, it dislodges.

I haven't noticed this with my CIEMs. Maybe your fit isn't as snug as it could be.
Yes. I Guess that's a logical assumption. However. When in an noisy train i can feel the same. Or is this all in my head since I'm not focused on the music the same way when out and moving etc. hmm

Or perhaps I'm secretly a basshead.. finding reasons for adding more bass:o2smile:

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #7,785 of 39,414
Hey all

BTW.
I think in general the sound becomes different when there is more ambient noise, to be honest I don't know if I've personally noticed that this is more so for the bass than the treble, since you also tend to lose finer detail. At least, I haven't developed any personal theories on it but maybe others can chime in. I guess in the end it might also just be a personal affair, depending on how much you appreciate bass specifically(?)

As for the Legend and Phantom compared to Zeus, it's hard to say whether each one is more different. I personally see it as both the Phantom and Legend being one step away from Zeus, in different ways, while the Legend and Phantom in turn have almost nothing in common. The Phantom shares similarities in its general presentation with Zeus-XIV; both have a similar three-dimensional stage, similar instrument body and even vocals (although Zeus' lower midrange is more forward, increasing the forwardness). Crudely put, the Phantom is a warmer Zeus.

The Legend and Zeus-R in turn also share similarities in their presentation, with both sharing a similar neutral tone with a touch of sparkle, and a wider than deep stage. It's just that the Legend's powerful bass makes them so different.

So, you could say that Zeus is related to both the Phantom and Legend, but the latter two are not. However, if the Legend and Phantom had a lovechild it would be the Vantage hehe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back