flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 24, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #7,786 of 39,414
As for the Legend and Phantom compared to Zeus, it's hard to say whether each one is more different. I personally see it as both the Phantom and Legend being one step away from Zeus, in different ways, while the Legend and Phantom in turn have almost nothing in common. The Phantom shares similarities in its general presentation with Zeus-XIV; both have a similar three-dimensional stage, similar instrument body and even vocals (although Zeus' lower midrange is more forward, increasing the forwardness). Crudely put, the Phantom is a warmer Zeus.

The Legend and Zeus-R in turn also share similarities in their presentation, with both sharing a similar neutral tone with a touch of sparkle, and a wider than deep stage. It's just that the Legend's powerful bass makes them so different.

So, you could say that Zeus is related to both the Phantom and Legend, but the latter two are not. However, if the Legend and Phantom had a lovechild it would be the Vantage hehe.

great and very helpful remarks there , Nic

Been trying to get an idea of where Zeus stands with Phantom and Legend X sonically, and these words really nail it for me

thanx Obi One of the TOTL CIEM Galaxy :beerchug:

Feb 24, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #7,787 of 39,414
Yes. I Guess that's a logical assumption. However. When in an noisy train i can feel the same. Or is this all in my head since I'm not focused on the music the same way when out and moving etc. hmm

Or perhaps I'm secretly a basshead.. finding reasons for adding more bass:o2smile:

Hmm... without me crawling inside your head, I'm not sure I can know what's happening here. :)

Feb 24, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #7,788 of 39,414
Hmm... without me crawling inside your head, I'm not sure I can know what's happening here. :)
Edit: HAHA
You are welcome... Short preview of what you might find.
giphy.gif

Attachments

• dartdancing.gif
    dartdancing.gif
    514.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 24, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #7,789 of 39,414
I think in general the sound becomes different when there is more ambient noise, to be honest I don't know if I've personally noticed that this is more so for the bass than the treble, since you also tend to lose finer detail. At least, I haven't developed any personal theories on it but maybe others can chime in. I guess in the end it might also just be a personal affair, depending on how much you appreciate bass specifically(?)

As for the Legend and Phantom compared to Zeus, it's hard to say whether each one is more different. I personally see it as both the Phantom and Legend being one step away from Zeus, in different ways, while the Legend and Phantom in turn have almost nothing in common. The Phantom shares similarities in its general presentation with Zeus-XIV; both have a similar three-dimensional stage, similar instrument body and even vocals (although Zeus' lower midrange is more forward, increasing the forwardness). Crudely put, the Phantom is a warmer Zeus.

The Legend and Zeus-R in turn also share similarities in their presentation, with both sharing a similar neutral tone with a touch of sparkle, and a wider than deep stage. It's just that the Legend's powerful bass makes them so different.

So, you could say that Zeus is related to both the Phantom and Legend, but the latter two are not. However, if the Legend and Phantom had a lovechild it would be the Vantage hehe.

Thanks for the info. So since I have the zeus xiv with the warm wm1z seems I really should look into the legend x to give the most different sound. (And that bass that I possibly secretly crave) :L3000:

Feb 24, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #7,791 of 39,414
Feb 24, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #7,792 of 39,414
Noise will change the sound, obscure detail , etc. This is why designers of high end gear put much effort into isolating power supplies and other strategies to keep noise out of the chain. It's why ciems will give more detail than universals. Your headphones obviously let in some the sound outside. Seems to me what detail is lost would depend on the nature of ambient sound. Low pitched noise, like trucks, cars, trains could impact lows (as a poor seal in general would... They'd add together). Birds and such would affect mids and highs more. At least, seems logical to me (when I walk my dog, I usually use Thinksound On2, light, comfortable , nice sounding They do lose bass outside).

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #7,793 of 39,414
In my experience an IEM like the U12 was the perfect on the go IEM. Bass and a fuller sound create a barrier from "world" noise. Nic is correct, I believe it is to be expected you will lose details to ambient noise, CIEM or Universal. Again, you aren't going to be doing your critical listening on a city bus, it is about achieving the best possible sound you can in all environments, the type of sound that the guy you are sitting next to on your commute, with the Apple buds, wishes he knew he was missing. In my experience a bassier IEM becomes less bassy sounding in the hustle and bustle. Also, I complete anywhere from 3-6 miles per day walk/run and I know even with snug fitting, good sealing IEMs there can be variations in sound from looking down, up etc..

Feb 24, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #7,794 of 39,414
In my experience an IEM like the U12 was the perfect on the go IEM. Bass and a fuller sound create a barrier from "world" noise. Nic is correct, I believe it is to be expected you will lose details to ambient noise, CIEM or Universal. Again, you aren't going to be doing your critical listening on a city bus, it is about achieving the best possible sound you can in all environments, the type of sound that the guy you are sitting next to on your commute, with the Apple buds, wishes he knew he was missing. In my experience a bassier IEM becomes less bassy sounding in the hustle and bustle. Also, I complete anywhere from 3-6 miles per day walk/run and I know even with snug fitting, good sealing IEMs there can be variations in sound from looking down, up etc..
I agree with this opinion. If you look at what most musicians who play in louder environments prefer, you’ll find that they prefer fuller sounding IEMs (bassier) to more neutral options. Nothing worst than being in a loud environment and you loose the bass, things sound lifeless/emotionless and you end up crancking your IEMs even louder.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #7,795 of 39,414
Noise will change the sound, obscure detail , etc. This is why designers of high end gear put much effort into isolating power supplies and other strategies to keep noise out of the chain. It's why ciems will give more detail than universals. Your headphones obviously let in some the sound outside. Seems to me what detail is lost would depend on the nature of ambient sound. Low pitched noise, like trucks, cars, trains could impact lows (as a poor seal in general would... They'd add together). Birds and such would affect mids and highs more. At least, seems logical to me (when I walk my dog, I usually use Thinksound On2, light, comfortable , nice sounding They do lose bass outside).

I agree with this opinion. If you look at what most musicians who play in louder environments prefer, you’ll find that they prefer fuller sounding IEMs (bassier) to more neutralism options. Nothing worst than being in a loud environment and you loose the bass, things doing lifeless/emotionless and you end up crancking your IEMs even louder.

Interesting info, losing bass it's not just me then which is good to hear...

Perhaps even the Bravado might be a good option as an on the go ciem then for the train..
giphy.gif

.. just thinking... options, options

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #7,796 of 39,414
I'm out walking Ozzie now, which brings me to another outdoor sound issue. I find in ear universals to transmit footsteps to the point I can't enjoy listening (I've read customs do this less. My one custom experience so far was not successful... Back at the manufacturer now). That's why I walk with the on ear On2... Comfortable,, sound pretty good (and I don't expect ultimate fidelity outdoors}, and footsteps barely register.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #7,797 of 39,414
I'm out walking Ozzie now, which brings me to another outdoor sound issue. I find in ear universals to transmit footsteps to the point I can't enjoy listening (I've read customs do this less. My one custom experience so far was not successful... Back at the manufacturer now). That's why I walk with the On2... Comfortable,, sound pretty good (and I don't expect ultimate fidelity outdoors}, and footsteps barely register.

I can definitely hear my footsteps transmit, it's different if I have soft sneakers or more firm shoes. But it's also connected with the cable used etc.. However the "thump" from walking is more internally transmitted I think so it doesent really matter about isolation or fit being the solution or issue. Actually I think a perfect seal can make noises transmit internally in a different way.

Feb 24, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #7,798 of 39,414
when i am walking , i hear the dead people transmitting their memories as they float around us

you guys , who listen to just a slight thump-thump-thump , you are oh so lucky

Feb 24, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #7,799 of 39,414
when i am walking , i hear the dead people transmitting their memories as they float around us

you guys , who listen to just a slight thump-thump-thump , you are oh so lucky

giphy.gif

Feb 24, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #7,800 of 39,414
This is what I do when I really want to avoid the thumping when walking.
11360_o.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back