Radsone EarStudio ES100
Oct 5, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #5,417 of 6,675
Using the 2x current - question.

So currently I am running my Oppo PM3 with the ES100 via the balanced connection. It gives an option of using 2x current but warns that this might damage headphones with less than 300ohm impedance. What's this jazz? Apologies for my lack of knowledge.

Any clarification would be much much appreciated.
I believe it just makes the top volume twice the voltage it is in 1x mode, which would be like +6 dB. In that case the concern is just that if you turn it all the way up, you may blow your headphones if they aren't high impedance. I haven't tried balanced 2x mode myself since I'm driving Shure SE846 with it and -30 dB is about as loud as I want it and -24 is getting into painful territory.

Anecdotally, I think the ES100 works great with portable/transportable amps, at least
What does using it with an amp add if you aren't driving speakers or high impedance headphones?

Oct 5, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #5,418 of 6,675
Have not had time to check in. The ES100 is still the bees knees. How about the HE100s?
I'm enjoying mine a lot. I find it curious that they aren't being talked about more here. There are a couple threads for them if you search. I would say more but I don't want to take this thread off on a tangent.

Oct 5, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #5,419 of 6,675
What does using it with an amp add if you aren't driving speakers or high impedance headphones?

These IEMs (GT3 Superbass) benefit from an amp, especially when using EQ. Using them just with the ES100 they can sound thin. But they are unusually insensitive for an IEM. (84ohm impedance, 95db. Going by the specs alone, harder to drive than a T50RP.)

Also, if you like amps that color the sound (which this one does), then you might want that coloration even if you don't actually need the power.

Oct 6, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #5,420 of 6,675
Ok I got an another weird question... Does the es100 support USB output to another DAC? So it only acts as a Bluetooth receiver and the Bluetooth signal is decoded and then fed digitally to another DAC through USB. Is it possible?

Oct 6, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #5,422 of 6,675
Ok I got an another weird question... Does the es100 support USB output to another DAC? So it only acts as a Bluetooth receiver and the Bluetooth signal is decoded and then fed digitally to another DAC through USB. Is it possible?
It’s possible, yes. I’ve seen a few devices that are actually keyboard/mouse usb hubs that connects to the computer through Bluetooth. But those are expensive and not too practical - you’d hate the latency, I suppose.

Edit: and no the ES100 doesn’t support this.

Oct 6, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #5,423 of 6,675
It’s possible, yes. I’ve seen a few devices that are actually keyboard/mouse usb hubs that connects to the computer through Bluetooth. But those are expensive and not too practical - you’d hate the latency, I suppose.

Edit: and no the ES100 doesn’t support this.
That is kind of what I expected, though I was hoping there would be some workaround... There are many great desktop DACs but few are bluetooth capable, really wish there are bluetooth receiver only devices that can be connected to other devices via USB.

Oct 6, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #5,424 of 6,675
That is kind of what I expected, though I was hoping there would be some workaround... There are many great desktop DACs but few are bluetooth capable, really wish there are bluetooth receiver only devices that can be connected to other devices via USB.

How about something like the Topping D50s, DX3 Pro, DX7 Pro, etc?

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #5,426 of 6,675

Pretty sure there are devices like this. I'm positive there are with SPDIF outputs, particularly you don't need them to be powered by their own batteries. I don't know about USB offhand, but hard to imagine there aren't.

Oct 8, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #5,430 of 6,675
No problem at all. For info, I'm listening to my Koss KSC-75s today.
60ohm, 101dB and it tends to work out at the same SPL, around 105dB SPL. As long as you think of it as a peak output, it makes a bit more sense.

I was also curious about the SPL estimates provided by the app. I compared the values with those produced by my dedicated SPL meter (slow response, C-weighted) and the Radsone consistently estimates ~10 dB over the SPL meter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back