Radsone EarStudio ES100
Sep 8, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #2,551 of 6,675
I have a general question, when sending music from the smartphone via bluetooth to a bluetooth receiver like the ES100, how much influence does the music app have on the audio quality?
What processes are involved when the audio signal is transfered, is this mainly happening on a hardware level of the smartphone or is there a lot of software involved (including the music player of ones choice) before the hardware sets in?
Am I correct assuming that the DAC of the Note 9 doesnt even have any part in this process and that it's simply the Note 9 bluetooth transmitter or are the working together to send the signal?

I was using Neutron on my V20 to get the most out of the DAC, but I really don't like the interface/user friendliness and am looking into new players now that I use the ES100 + Note 9
Try the Hiby Player. Very powerful and easy to use.

Sep 8, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #2,552 of 6,675
I have a general question, when sending music from the smartphone via bluetooth to a bluetooth receiver like the ES100, how much influence does the music app have on the audio quality?
What processes are involved when the audio signal is transfered, is this mainly happening on a hardware level of the smartphone or is there a lot of software involved (including the music player of ones choice) before the hardware sets in?
Am I correct assuming that the DAC of the Note 9 doesnt even have any part in this process and that it's simply the Note 9 bluetooth transmitter or are they dependent on each other to send the signal?

I was using Neutron on my V20 to get the most out of the DAC, but I really don't like the interface/user friendliness and am looking into new players now that I use the ES100 + Note 9
None. It's a digital signal sent via the bluetooth chip.

Sep 8, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #2,553 of 6,675
None. It's a digital signal sent via the bluetooth chip.

Well kind of, if it's Android and it's using Android's default output, then a signal coming from a music app may need to be re-sampled before being mixed to 48KHz 24 bit unless the app first reads and possibly adjusts the output format and possibly isolating it from being mixed too.

There are a number of ways so despite Neutron's rather verbose interface, it's sound quality can be forced in most cases to audiophile, where it can manage the entire pipeline itself or just the resampling if you like.

I'm sure other players can too, but some will not.

You should definitely consider not using any third party eq only filter apps in combination.

Edit: Oh and if you do currently want the best DSP like 3d or crossfeed and/or parametric eq, Neutron is a great choice

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #2,554 of 6,675
I agree Neutrons UI isn't awesome. But with it you know it doesn't allow your phone to do anything stupid with the audio signal, which most (all?) other players allow.

Sep 8, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #2,555 of 6,675

Hi berzerk428,

There are plenty of ways through which the apps alter the digital signal:

First there is the decoding performed by the app when the format is not natively supported by Android, e.g. the APE format. If you look up the info re. the aimp app in playstore you will see dozens of formats not supported by Android.

Second there is all the sound shaping and processing performed at the app level:
- fading at the end and begin of tracks
- balance
- own equalizer ( taking aimp again as example, it has a 14 band parametric equalizer)
- all kind of special audio effects, etc.

I have heard differences between apps.
In the end I have settled for aimp when I don't need the USB-DAC mode, i.e. for the wired and Bluetooth modes, and for Onkyo HF-player for the USB-DAC mode.
I agree that Neutron is a fine and very customizable app, but I don't find it handy enough.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #2,556 of 6,675
Does anybody use the Radsone music player pro? It has the same DCT and EQ as in the ES100 app.. The DCT sounds radically different than the ES100 app version - also music seems to sound better through the Randson music player to my ears. Might it be optimized for the ES100 or is it just coloring the sound?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 8, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #2,557 of 6,675
Can anyone recommend a good case for the ES100?

Something that will be both protective and a good fit, I suppose.

[like the SHANLING Leather Case for M0]

Mine is like this:

JQDqd6VV.jpg

fkzVdsNi.jpg

By the way, is it possible to change direction of its clip. I think it will be more convenient to attach it to my shirt if the clip is upside down.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #2,558 of 6,675
Mine is like this:

By the way, is it possible to change direction of its clip. I think it will be more convenient to attach it to my shirt if the clip is upside down.

This was discussed earlier before (I am with you here, for me it's the exact wrong way!) - unfortunately the answer is no. Hopefully in the ES100 successor.

Cheers.

Sep 9, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #2,559 of 6,675

I like the short cable. :) Perhaps you could pop the cover with the clip off put it back the other way, I've not done this myself though so I have no idea if its easy or even possible to do.

Sep 9, 2018 at 3:45 AM Post #2,560 of 6,675
I like the short cable. :) Perhaps you could pop the cover with the clip off put it back the other way, I've not done this myself though so I have no idea if its easy or even possible to do.
I have this thought in head for days, but I may totally destroy it. Maybe I should just wait until it's popular enough to have a thread from ifixit.com

Sep 9, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #2,562 of 6,675
I have this thought in head for days, but I may totally destroy it. Maybe I should just wait until it's popular enough to have a thread from ifixit.com

So I tried it (I like taking stuff apart anyway) the cover comes off easily enough, unfortunately the clips are not symmetrical so it won't clip on the other way, without some serious modifications. :frowning2:

20180909_094037_HDR.jpg

Sep 9, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #2,563 of 6,675
So I tried it (I like taking stuff apart anyway) the cover comes off easily enough, unfortunately the clips are not symmetrical so it won't clip on the other way, without some serious modifications. :frowning2:

Is it possible to fit a larger or thicker battery?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back