1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Radsone EarStudio ES100

Discussion in 'Portable Headphone Amps' started by m4rkw, Dec 12, 2017.
First

Back
163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172
174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183
Next

Last
  1. monsieurfromag3
    I have both actually, and use them for different scenarios. The V30 is like a DAP, even thinner and lighter but still a bit of a bulk. The ES100 is perfect for smaller pockets and summer clothes, or for the gym sometimes, a really tiny and feather-light device. I definitely wouldn’t rate the ES100 higher than a DFR, but it’s close, just like it’s close to the V30 - very close, though differing in signature. Haven’t heard the Sabaj.

Even for people with the V30 the ES100 is a great accessory that caters to other use cases and gives a lot of control over the audio through Radsone’s brilliant, feature-rich app.

bidn, scotvl and RockStar2005 like this.
  2. Devodonaldson
    I have a v30. Pretty much best audio out of a phone. I have a separate device I use primarily for music. I bought the es100 primarily fory workouts. But, I've started to use it more often while out and about for long instances. IveI come to enjoy the sound with LDAC out of the ES100 via balanced 2.5mm output more than wired audio out of the v30.

3. sideways
    I actually have both... I'm a big Sabre dac fan but I have to say that I'm thoroughly enjoying the ES100!! There is nothing I don't like about it... sitting in my sunroom on a Sunday morning with a cup of coffee enjoying some good music says it all :)

scotvl and RockStar2005 like this.
  4. Devodonaldson
    Have es100, v30, DFR, and Sabaj Da2. Da2 over DFR all day, BUT that thing is murder on your devices battery. Es100 is my favorite, with the eq options, and balanced audio for all my devices makes it the winner for me. Bought a balanced cable for one set of headphones to try with the es100, wgich then led me to purchase balanced cables for all headphones that I'd be willing to use with the es100

5. chinmie
    at the moment, between the Centrance BlueDAC (for home use) and ES100 (when going out) and some backup BT cables (for sport), my bluetooth needs are complete

pitsel and trellus like this.
  6. RockStar2005
    What is your other device for music?

Interesting. Yeah a balanced connection is gonna always boost the quality just like having a great DAC (or DACs). But not everyone can do balanced. I for example have the Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro, which, if I were to want a balanced connection, would require a balanced cable with the side terminating into the DT 1770 to have a mini-XLR connector, which I don't think(?) exists. So for me that wouldn't be an option.

7. waynes world
    Good points. The thing about the ES100 for me is that I really don't like having a cable into my phone - my phone needs to be freeeeee. So even if I had a V30 (I have an S7), I'd probably still want to use the ES100. But the fact that the ES100 is even close in sound to the V30 (or the DFR, or whatever) is a beautiful thing.

8. Lurk650
    Yeah I always go balanced bc I can also easily use my iBasso adapter to go Single Ended

scotvl likes this.
  9. RockStar2005
    You have both the V30 and ES100? That's cool. Well are you sure without comparing the DFR to the ES100 that the DFR is better?

Yeah I checked out the app. It's pretty cool.

10. RockStar2005
    Nice! So you think the ES100 sounds better then? What about vs. the DFR??

11. RockStar2005
    WOW WOW............Da2 better than the DFR??! (Or did you mean Da3?)

So let's just say unbalanced ES100...........how does it compare to Da2 and DFR in your opinion??!

12. Devodonaldson
    I have a Sony Xperia Z3 with bit perfect USB audio wired to an ifi xDSD doing balanced output. Loving this Burr Brown implementation.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    RockStar2005 likes this.
  13. Devodonaldson
    Da2. Less power than dfr, but definitely sounds better. Better staging, overall preswntprese, width, depth, musicality. It's the chips being used. Dfr is k2m I believe, while Da2 is Q2C. As in not a mobile DAC. Suprised the crap out of me, expect for $80. But again, the battery drain. A former phone, on airplane mode, dead in about 7-8hrs. On the DFR, looking at double that time, easy. But,an Da2 sounded sweet, of you enjoy Sabre sound. Fell more in love with some more musical DACs. Unbalanced, the Es100 still sounds very good using LDAC. Don't know if I mentioned that part. Android 8.0 phones so runnknr LDAC. Definitely noticed a difference even agaisna APTX HD. The ES100 is more "musical" than the DFR. DFR has great treble sparkle, "detail", I like it, but staging is more intimate than Da2 and definitely more cold than es100. Es100 is more fun. AK vs Sabre sound. Also, DFR is a little light in the lower freq. Nothing missing, but wish there was more slam sith cwrtcer genres. Instruments sparkle beautifully, but as I said, it's a colder sound. Es100 is a good all arounder using LDAC, APTX HD a little less. But if not on LDAC, itsi definitely not in the same ballpark. Wired vs wireless detail retrieval not a fair comparison on general

RockStar2005 likes this.
  14. Devodonaldson
    BTW check my profile pic. Da2 to JDS Labs C5. That WAS my portable rig before I boughty if XDSD. New profile pic coming soon.

15. trellus
    +1 on this -- I'm on iPhone 8 Plus (had a LG V20 but no longer have it unfortunately) but even before Apple ditched the headphone jack, I always had (cheap) Bluetooth receivers for use at the gym with wired IEM's and my iPhone 6s Plus -- can't stand having the earphones tethered to the phone itself since a Bluetooth receiver is much tinier and I don't need to interact with it much at all if ever once I start my workout.

Even if I still had the V20, I'd want the ES100 for untethered-from-the-phone use. That being said, I still don't like that my phone has no headphone jack at all. :frowning2:

I love my ES100, besides part-time use at the gym with wired IEM's (KEF M100, for one), it has also enabled use of other IEM's with my iPhone that I didn't use before even when I did have a headphone jack because it didn't power them well enough (KEF M200, for example).

First

Back
163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172
174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183
Next

Last