Radsone EarStudio ES100
Jul 15, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #1,666 of 6,675
Well I thought it was the earbuds because I tried headphones and didn't hear the popping. I switched out the USB cable and updated to the latest firmware (I had the previous one) and it's gone now, so I guess that's good. Thanks for the help.

edit: actually it came back after like 20 minutes... mmm all the USB jacks are the same

This may sound like a strange suggestion, but have you tried to disconnect your phone and any other devices from the Earstudio’s Bluetooth? I have found that there are strange skips that occur when I have my laptop and phone connected at the same time.

Jul 15, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #1,667 of 6,675
This may sound like a strange suggestion, but have you tried to disconnect your phone and any other devices from the Earstudio’s Bluetooth? I have found that there are strange skips that occur when I have my laptop and phone connected at the same time.
I think this just might be it for some reason... honestly I only have it paired on my phone but wasn't connected. However I unpaired it and so far haven't heard any popping sounds... for about 30 minutes. fingers crossed

Jul 16, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #1,668 of 6,675
I think this just might be it for some reason... honestly I only have it paired on my phone but wasn't connected. However I unpaired it and so far haven't heard any popping sounds... for about 30 minutes. fingers crossed

On my (iOS) phone, even if the Bluetooth audio is not connected, the app maintains a connection to the EarStudio in order to change settings. I have found that closing it (i.e. swiping it away in the multitasking menu) can also stop the skips. Might be different on Android, though.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #1,669 of 6,675
Jul 16, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #1,672 of 6,675

You expect me to go to all of that googling effort? Just kidding - thanks. I found it on my S7, but for some reason I can't change the setting.

Hi,
however this is no option for listening to music with android because it works only in mono mode = no stereo.

Even if I switch to mono mode (which I wouldn't want to do of course), I can't change the balanced setting. Hopefully submash will do some more googling for me lol :wink:

So I do hope for a L- R balance in the app.

+1

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #1,673 of 6,675
Is there a noticeable difference in sound quality when using Balance 2.5mm?
Depends on what you are driving. For my sensitive IEMs, I do not notice a difference between 3.5mm and 2.5mm. However, with my HD650, I notice a HUGE difference when using 2.5mm. The sound is fuller, the bass is tighter, and the overall sound signature sounds cleaner.

Jul 16, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #1,674 of 6,675
Depends on what you are driving. For my sensitive IEMs, I do not notice a difference between 3.5mm and 2.5mm. However, with my HD650, I notice a HUGE difference when using 2.5mm. The sound is fuller, the bass is tighter, and the overall sound signature sounds cleaner.

You have a 2.5mm Balance cable for your HD650? where can I get one?

Jul 16, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #1,677 of 6,675
How does this compare to DAPs that are in its price range?

What made you guys choose this over a DAP?
First off, there aren’t many quality DAPs at this entry-level price range that I know of. The antiquated Cowon i9, with no Wifi and no storage, or the Sony NW-A25... For both, sound quality is decent, though nothing to write home about (I had both). Other than that it’s Chinese devices, from brands various degrees of established. The Fiio X1, then offerings by Cayin, Hidisz, Lotoo... that push towards 150$+. None of them, from what I know, are spectacular.
The only big rival as far as DAPs go is the Shanling M0, with a similar form factor, a great DAC/amp (the same as in the LG V30), LDAC and aptX support (though no aptX HD), an SD card slot and a small screen. It’s a great alternative if you don’t want to depend on a BT source, and you can work with a UI made in China - still a no-go as far as I’m concerned.

The ES100 shoots above its price in terms of SQ too, only around the 300$ mark will you start to see it beaten slightly by DAPs I’d estimate (Fiio X5, Pioneer XDP-30R...).

I got the ES100 and favor it over the M0 for the same reasons I replaced my DAP with a hi-fi phone. It’s a more modern, versatile device. It relies on the latest Android UI. It supports high-res streaming, not only with Wifi but also with mobile data. And you get both LDAC and aptX HD.
The ES100 is for the times when even a thin, light phone is still too cumbersome. It is controlled by an amazing, clean-looking, powerful app. It even does balanced output. And the updates add whole new, significant features - more sweeping changes than the bug fixes and belated translation improvements that make up the main fare of Chinese manufacturers’ updates.

Jul 16, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #1,678 of 6,675
Any reason why LDAC is mandatory? I would like to use crossfeed sometimes, but that's only available on other codecs.

I know I can disable LDAC on my phone through developer options, but would prefer to keep these tweaks in one place if possible. If Sony mandates that LDAC must be used if supported, then it can't be helped I guess.

Jul 16, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #1,679 of 6,675
First off, there aren’t many quality DAPs at this entry-level price range that I know of. The antiquated Cowon i9, with no Wifi and no storage, or the Sony NW-A25... For both, sound quality is decent, though nothing to write home about (I had both). Other than that it’s Chinese devices, from brands various degrees of established. The Fiio X1, then offerings by Cayin, Hidisz, Lotoo... that push towards 150$+. None of them, from what I know, are spectacular.
The only big rival as far as DAPs go is the Shanling M0, with a similar form factor, a great DAC/amp (the same as in the LG V30), LDAC and aptX support (though no aptX HD), an SD card slot and a small screen. It’s a great alternative if you don’t want to depend on a BT source, and you can work with a UI made in China - still a no-go as far as I’m concerned.

The ES100 shoots above its price in terms of SQ too, only around the 300$ mark will you start to see it beaten slightly by DAPs I’d estimate (Fiio X5, Pioneer XDP-30R...).

I got the ES100 and favor it over the M0 for the same reasons I replaced my DAP with a hi-fi phone. It’s a more modern, versatile device. It relies on the latest Android UI. It supports high-res streaming, not only with Wifi but also with mobile data. And you get both LDAC and aptX HD.
The ES100 is for the times when even a thin, light phone is still too cumbersome. It is controlled by an amazing, clean-looking, powerful app. It even does balanced output. And the updates add whole new, significant features - more sweeping changes than the bug fixes and belated translation improvements that make up the main fare of Chinese manufacturers’ updates.
Shanling M3s is right around the $300 mark and it does slightly beat out the ES100. Both using AK Chips but the M3s being Dual

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back