Radsone EarStudio ES100
Jul 15, 2018 at 5:41 AM Post #1,651 of 6,675
I don't like that feature (sorry). I have the LG V10 and V20 (I see you too) and it bugs the hell out of me that these things are deciding on their own which gain/votlage mode they set. Because as you rightly say: it's an estimate. My planars have low impedance but need a lot of power - so the autosensing is always choosing the wrong setting - so do some of my dynamic driver in ears, I really like that we can set the voltage ourselves manually and not rely on some autosensing stuff :)

Cheers

No ones implying that you are forced to use a setting that doesn't work properly, or even one that does.

My suggestion is that you can set an option to allow this current profile to be auto-selected if it matches an impedance class - the starting position is none of these flags, one for each profile, will be set to auto-select.

It all hinges on being able to get a reasonable estimate of any particular impedance class that can allow some headphones to be easily differentiated.

If it can. it would be a smart feature to have, especially for a small, already smart audio device.

Jul 15, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #1,652 of 6,675
Fair enough. As an optional setting thats fine. But for me personally it wouldn’t be high on the priority list. :)

Cheers

Jul 15, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #1,653 of 6,675
Does anyone know where in Tokyo I might find one?

They had some on Amazon.jp, but are now sold out (and I can’t do delivery atm anyway, need a physical store). Asked in bic camera and was told they don’t stock it.

I think e-earphone stores are selling it, although I am in Nagoya and bought my ES100 from Amazon.jp. Sorry I might buy the last one.

Jul 15, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #1,654 of 6,675
Jul 15, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #1,655 of 6,675
It could be useful function if there would be database of EQ preamp and volume limiting settings for different models that community can work on and expand and comment/rate different versions. There could be neutral settings made from known database of measurements by Radsone. Auto selection based on impedance curve is less important, because anyway many headphones would be too similar and you would have to choose. It's only useful if you often use different headphones, but there are very few people like that.

And btw, I see where next hardware version can go - add additional hi-speed processor for few thousands taps of parametric linear phase EQ to have real correction and license soundworks technology to get access to their correction DB. Plus larger battery so that EQ won't eat it too fast. And then based on this make personalized hearing adjustment test similar to what Samsung does in their phones. And make it ip68 behind the neck cable...

@wslee Is there any way to have the ES100 get an estimate of the impedance of the attached headphones?... if there was a way to do this, you could implement volume profiles for the ES100, where the eq and preamp settings can be stored separately for each class of device attached, like an adjustable pre-set for the sound profile of each attached headphone.

Sound profiles for different headphones are a much needed feature for any DAP, but it makes even more sense in a device like this, you could allow the user to keep a list of known eq+preamp profiles, like you currently have for just the eq, 4 pre-sets is very useful, and setting the name is actually really great idea someone here had too.

Just need to change the profile to include the pre-amp as just another eq setting, so it's stored with its eq profile. - edit... oh, it does this already!!! no problem.

If you could add a default class to the creation of a profile based on the estimated impedance and allow a profile class to be automatically selected when that particular device is attached, you can add the ability to auto-enable a profile for an already known device.

I think this would be a great addition to this great device, take it's practicality to a new level.

Anyone else think this would be a great feature? Volume profiles?

Jul 15, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #1,656 of 6,675
It could be useful function if there would be database of EQ preamp and volume limiting settings for different models that community can work on and expand and comment/rate different versions. There could be neutral settings made from known database of measurements by Radsone. Auto selection based on impedance curve is less important, because anyway many headphones would be too similar and you would have to choose. It's only useful if you often use different headphones, but there are very few people like that.

And btw, I see where next hardware version can go - add additional hi-speed processor for few thousands taps of parametric linear phase EQ to have real correction and license soundworks technology to get access to their correction DB. Plus larger battery so that EQ won't eat it too fast. And then based on this make personalized hearing adjustment test similar to what Samsung does in their phones. And make it ip68 behind the neck cable...

The reason I ask for this feature is because this device is so small and powerful, it does seem to be part of its way to be ubiquitous - the way it operates having more than one ES100 is quite unique already, leading the way into Bluetooth ubiquity - things should just operate sensibly without being selected manually - that's it's purpose really, wireless that should be seamless with apps.

I don't think it would take a lot of work, but it all hinges on how easy it is to get a reliable signature of impedance, so it's not a question yet of is it high priority, it's a question of whether or not this type of thing is even possible on this device.

I gather most people think it's probably a waste of effort, I'm all for a balance being introduced, that's a traditional mainstay for an audio app, should be present. Maybe this is not that important. It would just be cool.

If this was an open source thing, I'd take a look myself, but the guys who wrote this stuff might still be keen on doing more and they are in the best position to judge what can be done.

Yeah, put this idea on the back-burner, it's problematic.

Jul 15, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #1,657 of 6,675
Hi,

a question from a happy new owner of the fantastic ES1000:
Is there a setting to adjust the left-right balance? I could not find any in the app.
If not I would greatly appreciate that a setting for the left-right balance would be implemented. (my left ear is a little less sharp than my right one)

BTW:
- superb sound for such a tiny device
- I love the possibility of setting the AKM DAC filters!
- beautiful equalizer
- when updating the firmware I could not find the dfu zip file which is mentioned in the manual, but actually it was not necessary
- I am exited about testing LDAC and comparing it to AAC, I should be able to do this tomorrow.

Many, many congratulations, wslee !

Sometimes my left ear also gives me some issues, and I would also be happy with a balance option. I feel like I'm getting greedy considering how much we've been given already, but @wslee, is there any chance of a balanced option being added?

Yes congratulations from me too!!

Balance - it might sound stupid, but can't you set this in the OS? Android and iOS both have balance settings. You also would have to set it once in the OS and it would apply to all audio output settings...

That's a thought. I just checked my S7 edge and can't find a balance option (but it might be there somewhere).

Regardless, I'd prefer to have the main sound options handled in one place - and that place has to be the wonderful earstudio app :wink: :)

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #1,660 of 6,675
Hello everyone,

So I purchased an ES100 off amazon a week ago or so: I've noticed that I get popping sounds intermittently when using it as a dac/amp with the 3.5mm out for my laptop. However, it's fine when I use it with my phone in bluetooth. Should I just try to get it replaced by Amazon? or is this something normal.

Jul 15, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #1,661 of 6,675
May I ask, can I connect the ES100 through a speaker and AV receiver with a 3.5mm to 3.5mm? Will it kill my es100?
Normally it should not be a problem. It definitely can be used with amps of various kinds I just don't know for sure if there is combination where max volume in both sources can damage some amps. Since there is no line out mode (yet) my precaution is not to use max volume on the analogue volume but max volume on the source volume (where I can do this).

And on that note my Burson audio opamp is already installed for the ultimate test vs two additional balanced cables I expect this week for my Meze 99 and 4XX.
IMG_20180715_191936827.jpg

However, such a shame that the source volume defaults to -20db when I tried to listen it in main set up.
IMG_20180709_200425691.jpg

I really like this device but my personal opinion is that this is not the only crazy bargain below 1,000 in audio nowdays.

The problem is not anymore that there is not enough audiophile budget gear the problem is that there is too much available audiophile budget gear.

Jul 15, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #1,662 of 6,675
Hello everyone,

So I purchased an ES100 off amazon a week ago or so: I've noticed that I get popping sounds intermittently when using it as a dac/amp with the 3.5mm out for my laptop. However, it's fine when I use it with my phone in bluetooth. Should I just try to get it replaced by Amazon? or is this something normal.
I just tried mine as a DAC using microUSB cable connected to a Windows 10 Laptop. Using Foobar2K I only get clean sound no clicks of pops. Had to select " DS : Speakers ( Earstudio USB DAC) " as Both WASAPI options would not playback. No sound clicks while playing, and none when changing tracks. Also tested with Windows Media Player, and With Grove Music. Same result clean and clear with zero clicks or pops.
What audio player are you using? Maybe try a different usb cable?

Jul 15, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #1,663 of 6,675
I just tried mine as a DAC using microUSB cable connected to a Windows 10 Laptop. Using Foobar2K I only get clean sound no clicks of pops. Had to select " DS : Speakers ( Earstudio USB DAC) " as Both WASAPI options would not playback. No sound clicks while playing, and none when changing tracks. Also tested with Windows Media Player, and With Grove Music. Same result clean and clear with zero clicks or pops.
What audio player are you using? Maybe try a different usb cable?
Foobar2k, MusicBee, youtube. I guess I may see if it's the problem with my earbuds and not the ES100 unit.

Jul 15, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #1,664 of 6,675
Foobar2k, MusicBee, youtube. I guess I may see if it's the problem with my earbuds and not the ES100 unit.
Might also be a loose USB Jack? Might also be an old USB driver... Try updating the driver? If the Earsone's Audio Jack or the earphones were a problem, you probably would have heard the pops with your phone too?

Jul 15, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #1,665 of 6,675
Might also be a loose USB Jack? Might also be an old USB driver... Try updating the driver? If the Earsone's Audio Jack or the earphones were a problem, you probably would have heard the pops with your phone too?
Well I thought it was the earbuds because I tried headphones and didn't hear the popping. I switched out the USB cable and updated to the latest firmware (I had the previous one) and it's gone now, so I guess that's good. Thanks for the help.

edit: actually it came back after like 20 minutes... mmm all the USB jacks are the same

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back