Radsone EarStudio ES100
Apr 4, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #4,321 of 6,675
That all sounds great, but sounds like a different product, one that you wouldn’t clip on your shirt or get for $100. I want that one to still exist.

No-plastic shell: More expensive. Metallic enclosures compromise reception of internal antennae. See BTR3 vs. µBTR (same radio, different result). Also, an all-metal enclosure would necessitate an external antenna.
Better clip: Yes!
Better buttons: Yes, a bit more protrusion and differentiation.
Larger battery: Heavier, larger, more expensive. 8-10 hrs not enough?
LED: I'm ok with the status quo, but am open to change.
USB-C: Eventually.
Wireless charging: Nice to have, but I wouldn’t pay more for it.
Knob: How about the old jog wheel (like the middle mouse wheel/button)? I miss the Rio Karma ergonomics.

TANSTAAFL

I didn't mean a metal case, more like an aluminum frame/buttons with glas back/front... Like a top tier smartphone.

8-10 hours is enough most times, but with battery degradation I rather have a bit extra

LED: I really like that the BTR3's LED changes color depending on the BT codec

USB C is a no brainer for any devices released this year and beyond, another micro USB B would be laughable.

Wireless charghing: I didn't think much about wireless charghing until i tried it myself, its so convenient, also with most flagships of 2019 will feature reverse wireless charging, which could be a life saver on long trips for stuff like BT dac/smart watches/ BT headphones.

I wouldn't mind to pay a bit extra for all these features considering Radsones awesome track record with everything from SQ to firmware updates.

I'm also thinking about an improved ambient mode, like todays BT headphones, but obviously it will be much harder since the mics wont be outside of both ears.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #4,323 of 6,675
Anyone here own a ES100 and LG V30?
I do! What did you want to know? If it’s about SQ this is what I wrote on the previous page literally, sorry for the self-quote:
The V30 is tuned for clarity, and especially brilliant in the higher registers; it’s quite “sparkly” as they say - although the bass is great too and hits incredibly hard with my IMR R1. It’s not a fatiguing sound but quite forward. The ES100 rather goes for smoothness, it’s not as impressive technically but still unbelievable for the size and price, and more relaxed.

Apr 4, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #4,324 of 6,675
I do! What did you want to know? If it’s about SQ this is what I wrote on the previous page literally, sorry for the self-quote:
Have you gotten any issues with the V30? LG's track records in the department has not been stellar...

I share the same findings with you on SQ. The ES100 leans more on the relaxing side. In direct comparison with my Hiby R3 I find the R3 to be more analytical.

Apr 4, 2019 at 10:57 PM Post #4,325 of 6,675
DSC_0184.jpg

Apr 5, 2019 at 6:49 AM Post #4,327 of 6,675
Have you gotten any issues with the V30? LG's track records in the department has not been stellar...

I share the same findings with you on SQ. The ES100 leans more on the relaxing side. In direct comparison with my Hiby R3 I find the R3 to be more analytical.

No issue whatsoever with the V30+ in 15 months, a good thing since I imported it from Hong Kong so I would have to pay for repairs I think. Software support has been great, integrating the very few things that remained to be integrated such as LDAC support. Well, everything apart from the gain mode switch...

I don't know the Hibys, I sold my Pioneer DAP and have kept away from dedicated DAPs ever since getting the V30 but I'm not surprised by your impression since they went with a Sabre DAC. Not sure what the amp section uses though, those TI amps paired ubiquitously with the 9018 Sabre DACs have gone a long way towards generalizing the notion of the Sabre devices sounding overly bright. The newer Sabre DACs, like the one in the R3, and the associated (or integrated) amps seem better balanced.

Yes In 2.5mm Balanced Mode specifically.

Thanks for the insight. :beerchug:
Ah damn, sorry can't help with that, as all of my gear is swapped constantly between the ES100, the V30 and my 1/4"-jack-only desktop amp, I haven't re-cabled anything to 2.5mm balanced.

Apr 5, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #4,329 of 6,675
Apr 5, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #4,330 of 6,675
Apr 6, 2019 at 1:46 AM Post #4,331 of 6,675
You are right. The best solution for me is building a short cable from a TRN cheapo balanced cable.
40553208703_9ef0cba7c0_z.jpg

Nice. I did the same for my EX600. Helps alot especially since my LG V20 only has 5 band eq to tame the treble and eq is disabled when 24bit audio is played. It can connect simultaneously to my mac mini and i can take it out for jogging without worrying about wires all over the place.

Btw how's this setup in comparison to using the cipher cable if i may ask?

Apr 6, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #4,332 of 6,675
Anyone tried to compare the 2.5 balance radsone vs 3.5 SE of btr3 connected to iphone? Is there a difference in sound or will i be still benefiting from the es100 even connected to an iphone?

Thanks!

Apr 6, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #4,333 of 6,675
Anyone tried to compare the 2.5 balance radsone vs 3.5 SE of btr3 connected to iphone? Is there a difference in sound or will i be still benefiting from the es100 even connected to an iphone?
They would both connect to an iPhone with AAC Bluetooth. The difference would be in the headphone amp section. The ES100 2.5 balanced output can drive a headphone with much more power. Whether you would gain a benefit from more power depends the headphones. In theory, a balanced circuit also has benefits of lower noise and better channel separation, but these are very subtle.

Apr 6, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #4,334 of 6,675
They would both connect to an iPhone with AAC Bluetooth. The difference would be in the headphone amp section. The ES100 2.5 balanced output can drive a headphone with much more power. Whether you would gain a benefit from more power depends the headphones. In theory, a balanced circuit also has benefits of lower noise and better channel separation, but these are very subtle.

Actually will use it with a iems.. just wondering if its worth it to go balance vs btr3’s SE even on AAC on both. Well thanks on your insights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back