Radsone EarStudio ES100
Jan 18, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #3,871 of 6,675
Ooh. That long press is new info for me!!! BIG THANKS!
Will try. I was finding the manual section about pairing difficult. It took me half a crazy half hour to understand volume up was a tap not a long press :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 4:03 AM Post #3,872 of 6,675
I am a new ES-100 owner and still figuring out all the nuances of this unit.

Is it worth the effort and cost to purchase and use a 2.5mm balanced output/cable than the 3.5mm when listening to low res music from Apple or Amazon Music? Figured it may offer some benefits- just not sure how much on low res.

When traveling on an airplane, and using the 2.5mm cable, can you use an 3.5mm adapter to be able to plug into the airplanes entertainment system?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #3,873 of 6,675
Apologies if this is a silly question that has been answered many times in this thread but I just want to doublecheck to avoid destroying this or other device.

I use IEM's with MMCX connectors and I want to get a balanced cable but I still want to be able to plug into other devices that use 3.5mm unbalanced. Am I ok to buy a 2.5 balanced to 3.5 unbalanced adapter or is that going to cause a short somewhere? I believe I should be ok and that if I wanted to do it the other way round (3.5 unbalanced to 2.5 balanced) that would be a "nono" but I'd appreciate some reassurance.

Jan 19, 2019 at 5:47 AM Post #3,874 of 6,675
Is it worth the effort and cost to purchase and use a 2.5mm balanced output/cable than the 3.5mm when listening to low res music from Apple or Amazon Music? Figured it may offer some benefits- just not sure how much on low res.
The biggest benefit from the balanced output is more power. There is also a benefit from slightly better separation between L-R channels. These benefits apply whether low or high res source.

When traveling on an airplane, and using the 2.5mm cable, can you use an 3.5mm adapter to be able to plug into the airplanes entertainment system?
I want to get a balanced cable but I still want to be able to plug into other devices that use 3.5mm unbalanced. Am I ok to buy a 2.5 balanced to 3.5 unbalanced adapter
Yes, with an adapter you will be able to plug it into any 3.5mm unbalanced output without a problem.

Jan 19, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #3,876 of 6,675
I have ordered a short 50cm 2.5 mm MMCX balanced cable so I can clip the ES100 to my collar or shirt pocket. This should keep the wire snag to a minimum and have the mic on the SE100 near enough to my mouth for phone calls.

Jan 19, 2019 at 7:49 AM Post #3,877 of 6,675
Shameless plug here, I am selling a short mmcx balanced cable. Link in my sig.SOLD

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #3,878 of 6,675
Thanks rkw I appreciate it.

Do NOT plug either ES100 jack directly to a airplane jack!!!
They are all outputs, and you never should connect an output to an output.

To connect from an airplane to the ES100, you would need to convert the airplane jack output to bluetooth or usb, and feed that to the ES100, lot of trouble.
Last few planes I was on use wifi to your device for movies, which lets you use the ES100.

But, as has been noted on this thread, I noticed a sync delay when I used my very old ipad mini with the es100 to watch movies.
Its much better on my not quite as old macbook.

Randy

Jan 19, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #3,879 of 6,675
I wasn’t planning to plug the ES-100 into an airplane source. I was just thinking that i would need an adapter to plug my earphone directly into the airplane source if I was using a 2.5mm cable.

Thanks for the input though.

Jan 20, 2019 at 12:55 AM Post #3,881 of 6,675
How is it that we are all raving about the sound quality when this weighs less than a box of matches!? From a purely component point of view can it have enough quality electronics inside to produce good sound?

I love it! and I am a 30 year career audio engineer professional.

Blows my mind. What's the secret? It's not hype. It does sound great. Perhaps its the great eq?

Have owners here done shoot outs with their other more expensive gear?

I think it's the way Wslee and the Radsone team route the signal through the dual DACs. As far as I remember Wslee said that the es100 switches between the two outputs without the use of additional hardware so what we are hearing is coming directly from the DACs.

I love the es100 and Radsone already has my money whenever they release their next model.

Jan 20, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #3,883 of 6,675
Do NOT plug either ES100 jack directly to a airplane jack!!!
They are all outputs, and you never should connect an output to an output.

To connect from an airplane to the ES100, you would need to convert the airplane jack output to bluetooth or usb, and feed that to the ES100, lot of trouble.
Last few planes I was on use wifi to your device for movies, which lets you use the ES100.

But, as has been noted on this thread, I noticed a sync delay when I used my very old ipad mini with the es100 to watch movies.
Its much better on my not quite as old macbook.

Randy

Calm down Randy. First of all you quoted me replying to someone else. And that someone else asked for an adapter from 2.5mm to 3.5mm so that they can connect their head/earphones' balanced jack to an unbalanced output like an airplane jack. Which was also my question why I was quoted in one post together with one person.

Jan 20, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #3,884 of 6,675
I tried to listen to this guy in USB DAC mode plugged into macOS. I noticed that whenever there is a gap between tunes or you stop one to change to another there's a clear fade in effect instead of instant full level volume when you start playing again. Does anyone know how I can change this?

Jan 20, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #3,885 of 6,675
I tried to listen to this guy in USB DAC mode plugged into macOS. I noticed that whenever there is a gap between tunes or you stop one to change to another there's a clear fade in effect instead of instant full level volume when you start playing again. Does anyone know how I can change this?
I don't hear this effect on MacBook Pro running Tidal and Spotify apps, connected on ES100 USB. Compare with headphones plugged directly into your Mac. Check if you have crossfade turned on in your music player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back