Radsone EarStudio ES100
Jan 16, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #3,842 of 6,675
Hey guys,

Has anybody noticed an issue with incoming voice volume on calls since updating to 2.x ? I'm not sure if this happened when I upgraded to 2.0.1 (now 2.0.2) or afterwards, but when I get an incoming call the voice volume of the other party is VERY quiet.. sounds like it is at 5% or less compared to the volume of music playing just before the call. This used to work fine and I would take calls on it previously... I don't take calls on it often though so I'm not sure when it happened.

Voice volume is not impacted when using the phone "as a phone" in my hand, or speakerphone, or with headphones connected directly to the phone. It is impacted only when using the EarStudio and I tried both 3.5mm and 2.5mm ports, same behavior.

During calls, I have also noticed that if I use the Mic Loopback I hear myself just fine (not quiet) and keypad tones from either myself or the other party are also loud and don't have an issue with those sounds.

Not sure if there's any other relevant details to provide.. I tried doing a factory reset on the EarStudio and recently updated it to 2.0.2 (it was on 2.0.1 when I noticed the problem) but still the issue persists. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S8 as my phone.

My only workaround is to crank the volume from my usual -18.5dB to +6dB and I can somewhat hear the other party if they speak loudly, however I have to ensure music wasn't playing before the call otherwise I end up deafening myself (and potentially damaging my earphones) when the music comes blasting back in after the call and I scramble to put it back to -18.5dB.

I've tried enabling and disabling the EQ, no change... Not sure if there's anything else I can try. This feels like a software issue but the software update and factory reset didn't fix the problem.

Any thoughts?

I also submitted a "Contact Us" request on the radsone page in hopes they can offer some advice.

Thanks,
-Levistras

Jan 16, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #3,843 of 6,675
I just checked and my ES100 (running current firmware 2.0.2) stays off when charge is complete. I plugged in the charger, turned off the unit (flashing LED stopped and I observed a steady red circle LED, indicating charging) and left it to fully charge.When it was fully charged the steady red circle changed to steady green and the unit remained off, just like the standard behavior you expected. Is yours doing something different?
Yeah, mine seems to
a) turn itself on when I plug it in to charge
b) when I switch it off whilst charging it will stay off until when it stops charging when it turns on.

Both are silly. And both seem to be a default option - i.e. connecting/disconnecting to USB charger or PC host will reboot ES100. Maybe there is a reason why this should be happening if it's connected to PC host and needs to act as a DAC. But for simple charging it should never reboot. I've never had a device that would do this.

Jan 16, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #3,844 of 6,675
Well that is strange because while I do have to turn it off after connecting the charger (admittedly odd but not really a problem) the unit does not turn on by itself when changing is completed. Are you using the most current firmware release (2.0.2)? If so I have no explanation as to why our two units would behave differently.

Jan 16, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #3,845 of 6,675
Jan 16, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #3,846 of 6,675
Well that is strange because while I do have to turn it off after connecting the charger (admittedly odd but not really a problem) the unit does not turn on by itself when changing is completed. Are you using the most current firmware release (2.0.2)? If so I have no explanation as to why our two units would behave differently.

I'm on the latest FW. What I noticed looking at it today whilst it was charging, when it started getting close to switching on the red circle stopped being solid and became continuous red and then it flashed green once. Then it went solid red again and it flashed green twice, then it went red and flashed green three times then it went red and single, red and twice, red and three times and it came on (so no more red but green on standby) and I was able to see it connected with my phone where I saw that the battery was charged to 100%. Before when I charged I always woke up to 9X% thinking that either the device is faulty or the charger is misbehaving.
I mean the silliness of these circle notifications is also something that I can't get over, there's no way any sane person can memorise all combinations.

Jan 16, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #3,847 of 6,675
I have a question concerning the ES100:
Every time I charge it, it automatically switches on. This can be quite annoying because then it automatically connects to my phone and computer ... even in times when I don`t want it to. It happened so many times now that I wanted to make a phone call and was wondering why I could not hear a thing (because it was auto connected to the ES100 while charging).

So is there a way to switch the "auto on while charging" off?

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #3,848 of 6,675
Sorry, double post

Jan 16, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #3,849 of 6,675
I have a question concerning the ES100:
Every time I charge it, it automatically switches on. This can be quite annoying because then it automatically connects to my phone and computer ... even in times when I don`t want it to. It happened so many times now that I wanted to make a phone call and was wondering why I could not hear a thing (because it was auto connected to the ES100 while charging).

So is there a way to switch the "auto on while charging" off?

There are a few power options but they will probably have undesirable side effects for typical use. The easiest solution is to simply switch the power off after plugging in the charging cable, it only takes a few seconds.

Jan 16, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #3,850 of 6,675
There are a few power options but they will probably have undesirable side effects for typical use. The easiest solution is to simply switch the power off after plugging in the charging cable, it only takes a few seconds.

Thanks for your reply! But hmmmm....still find it annoying (especially because my charging cable is a bit hidden under my table and it gets really fiddly if I also have to switch it off every time I charge it) . I am still wondering why that is? My XB10 and my XDSD don`t do that? What is the benefit of this "auto on" function? Nobody else here finds it annoying?

Maybe somebody of Radsone is reading this? Maybe it could be changed through an update?

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #3,851 of 6,675
I think most users would agree that the power state should not change when charging. The Radsone people have been pretty responsive in adding/changing features in firmware updates and I think they monitor the forum, plus you can provide feedback on their website.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #3,852 of 6,675
Thanks for your reply! But hmmmm....still find it annoying (especially because my charging cable is a bit hidden under my table and it gets really fiddly if I also have to switch it off every time I charge it) . I am still wondering why that is? My XB10 and my XDSD don`t do that? What is the benefit of this "auto on" function? Nobody else here finds it annoying?

Maybe somebody of Radsone is reading this? Maybe it could be changed through an update?
Maybe I'm not understanding your issue, but why not just select "auto power off when charger connected"? If you need to run it when connected, change it back.

Jan 16, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #3,853 of 6,675
Maybe I'm not understanding your issue, but why not just select "auto power off when charger connected"? If you need to run it when connected, change it back.

Many people like to top off the charge while listening (say when sitting at a desk) on a routine basis. In this case having to constantly go in and out of the app is not acceptable.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 1:19 AM Post #3,854 of 6,675

Where did you find those settings??? I can`t find it (under misc control)?

Many people like to top off the charge while listening (say when sitting at a desk) on a routine basis. In this case having to constantly go in and out of the app is not acceptable.

Yes, me, too, I simply see no reason why the power status not just stays as it is when you connect the device. If you want to listen, you already have switched it on - if not you have turned it off. Should just stay like this....

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 1:27 AM Post #3,855 of 6,675
I think most users would agree that the power state should not change when charging. The Radsone people have been pretty responsive in adding/changing features in firmware updates and I think they monitor the forum, plus you can provide feedback on their website.

I think the request then is,
"Radsone please add another option to CHARGER MODE, this option should make ES100 retain it's state when it's plugged into a charger/unplugged (or when the charger starts/stops providing power). By retain state I mean, it stays switched off if it's switched off".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back