Radsone EarStudio ES100
Jan 13, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #3,811 of 6,675
Does anyone notice any difference with all the options in the app? like DCT, Oversampling, Dac Filter, or x2 current?

I'm using it with SE846 and not sure if i'm missing out on anything. I'd love to see settings everyone use :)
Most of those options can cure some ills if present, but if not will not make any audible difference so it kinda depends on the equipment being used. I think most people tend to leave them off. DAC filter might make a bit of difference but for me (also using an SE846) the difference is subtle if it exists at all (it's notoriously difficult to filter out placebo effects from real effects, in spite of what people believe they hear.) Regarding the current setting, the SE846 are very sensitive phones and there probably isn't any advantage to the 2X setting in this case so you might as well save some battery power.

Jan 13, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #3,812 of 6,675
Most of those options can cure some ills if present, but if not will not make any audible difference so it kinda depends on the equipment being used. I think most people tend to leave them off. DAC filter might make a bit of difference but for me (also using an SE846) the difference is subtle if it exists at all (it's notoriously difficult to filter out placebo effects from real effects, in spite of what people believe they hear.) Regarding the current setting, the SE846 are very sensitive phones and there probably isn't any advantage to the 2X setting in this case so you might as well save some battery power.
thanks for the insight. I'm still testing between some Chinese True wireless modules vs ES100 vs Shanling M0 vs BTR3 vs novice DAP like A&K Jr. (all the expensive stuffs back home)

Do you keep every settings at default? Do you use any EQ with SE846? I'd to find some use for the wonderful EQ profiles on ES100 but it won't be here until next week :frowning2:

Jan 13, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #3,813 of 6,675
I pretty much have everything at the default. I use 'sharp rolloff' for the filter (I can't really profess that there's an obvious difference, but that's what I'm using.) As above, I wouldn't expect any difference with things like DCT or oversampling unless you have some problem to solve, which is usually not the case.

Things like crossfeed and EQ are simply matters of personal preference. Experiment with crossfeed (which will crossfeed some signal between right and left which will have an effect on soundstage), some people like the effect and some do not (personally I generally do not use it.) Same with EQ, some see a fault in using it as some purist thing but I've never understood that, I see it as simply a tool an I use it whenever I feel the need, or even just to suit personal preference.. the purpose of listening is for enjoyment after all, not a science experiment, nor is there any requirement to suffer through a poor mastering as some form of personal honor :wink:. I would advise staying away from preset EQ profiles and instead develop your own. Start with flat and if you think that bass seems thin or the high end seems flat or veiled then tweak as necessary, in small increments, just a little here or there to fix poorly mastered recordings or adjust for weaknesses in the playback system or speaker/transducer. With the SE846 you shouldn't need much.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #3,814 of 6,675
I pretty much have everything at the default. I use 'sharp rolloff' for the filter (I can't really profess that there's an obvious difference, but that's what I'm using.) As above, I wouldn't expect any difference with things like DCT or oversampling unless you have some problem to solve, which is usually not the case.

Things like crossfeed and EQ are simply matters of personal preference. Experiment with crossfeed (which will crossfeed some signal between right and left which will have an effect on soundstage), some people like the effect and some do not (personally I generally do not use it.) Same with EQ, some see a fault in using it as some purist thing but I've never understood that, I see it as simply a tool an I use it whenever I feel the need, or even just to suit personal preference.. the purpose of listening is for enjoyment after all, not a science experiment, nor is there any requirement to suffer through a poor mastering as some form of personal honor :wink:. I would advise staying away from preset EQ profiles and instead develop your own. Start with flat and if you think that bass seems thin or the high end seems flat or veiled then tweak as necessary, in small increments, just a little here or there to fix poorly mastered recordings or adjust for weaknesses in the playback system or speaker/transducer. With the SE846 you shouldn't need much.

thank you. Last question: is the output level estimation accurate? Do I put SE846 impedance and sensitivity in those boxes there?
If it is correct then I've been listening with unhealthy volume lol (100 dB SPL 3hrs at a time)

Jan 14, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #3,815 of 6,675

I'm usually for crafting a good-for-all-tracks EQ curve for each particular earphone.

However, with more resolving IEMs (in my case, the FiiO FA7), I'm finding that the EQ that works for more modern recordings isn't necessarily working for me with older masters. Perhaps those older masters are counting on slower transient response, and higher levels of distortion and modulation products that may have been present in the studio monitor reproduction chain during mastering.

Unfortunately, we only get 4 custom EQ presets on the ES100, and 22 canned ones. The only canned one I EVER use is FLAT.

As for the other DSP effects in the ES100, I've left everything at default. I can't hear a difference in varying levels of DCT, but I'm not averse to the idea of noise shaping, so I leave it on. The Sharp Roll-off makes the most sense to me in terms of transducer bandwidth. I'd like to see what those filter outputs actually look like in terms of measured driver SPL. I'll bet they look different than those waveforms that AKM and ESS are publishing.

Jan 14, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #3,816 of 6,675
Addendum: Here are a couple of interesting articles about spectral content trends in the music recording industry.

All about what bass?

Spectral Characteristics of Popular Commercial Recordings 1950-2010

lfenergy-dated338-2.png

Jan 14, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #3,818 of 6,675
Built these two short balanced cable for the ES100: one with Etymotic mmcx connector and another with a normal straight mmcx connector.

DSC_0161.JPG

Jan 14, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #3,819 of 6,675
Built these two short balanced cable for the ES100: one with Etymotic mmcx connector and another with a normal straight mmcx connector.

Wow, really nice cables. Did you build them from scratch, or mod existing cables?

The ES100 really shines with balanced output, it gives that extra punch for some of my IEMs and cans.

Jan 14, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #3,820 of 6,675
I just got my ES100 in and I'm really enjoying it. The firmware upgrade was easy. Pairing with multiple devices was painless (really like how seamless it is to switch between two sources). The sound is great - powers my FIBAE3's wonderfully, and LDAC from the WM1A is almost indistinguishable from wired connection. Using balanced output via Effect Audio AresII to 2.5mm Psquared is great, but those shorter cables above look sweet. Weighed this against the BTR3, and so far I have no complaints. The EQ is fun to play with, but I usually stay pretty flat. Anyway... just dropped in to say this is a great little module, and I don't think you can go wrong with it.

Jan 14, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #3,821 of 6,675
My unit does not work as a USB DAC/Amp anymore. It worked before, but maybe it stopped working after updating to 2.x firmware. It seems the audio stream is still detected as the input shows USB PCM 16bit/44.1khz in the app, but no sound. It still works using BT.
Is anyone having the same issue?

Jan 14, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #3,822 of 6,675
Wow, really nice cables. Did you build them from scratch, or mod existing cables?

It was originally a balanced cable, cut and mod by adding new balanced plug and mmcx connectors.

Jan 15, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #3,824 of 6,675
Is there any way to stop this device from powering itself on after it finishes charging, I hate leaving it overnight and waking up realising that it's been on standby for hours and I've lost charge because of this.

Under the 'Power Option' menu (touch the battery level bar to get there) there is a setting 'Auto power off when charger is connected'. That might do what you want, although it would prevent you from listening while charging.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #3,825 of 6,675
Under the 'Power Option' menu (touch the battery level bar to get there) there is a setting 'Auto power off when charger is connected'. That might do what you want.
Correct me if I'm wrong - this means that if I start charging while using it (in BT mode) it will power off, that's fairly inconvenient.
What I asked for is a standard behaviour of 99.9% devices out there. If I switch it off keep it switched off, even if I plug it in to charge and/or when it finishes charging, If I wanted it to be switched on, I'd keep it switched on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back