Quitting Head-Fi...
Mar 21, 2005 at 2:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 89

doobooloo

Headphoneus Supremus
So. It's been a fun ride so far. I've tried many different phones, some out of my budget and some within:

Koss PortaPro
Grado SR-80
Grado SR-225
Grado SR-325i
Alessandro MS-1
Alessandro MS-2
Alessandro MS-2i
Alessandro MS-Pro
Sennheiser EH-2270
Sennheiser HD-580
Sennheiser HD-600
Sennheiser HD-650 (Stock, Oehlbach, Zu)
AKG K501
AKG K1000
Beyerdynamic DT830 (Yes, the 830)
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro
Etymotic ER-4P
Etymotic ER-4S
Sony MDR-E888SP
Sony MDR-CD3000

And probably a few more that I can't remember now. I've also tried many different amps, mostly self-built, and even fell for tubes at one point.

But... with every headphone I've found some very distracting flaw, and couldn't keep them. The closest was the AKG K501, but when I heard the MS-Pros they sounded ever so dull.

With the MS-Pros however, the comfort issue and the upper treble resonance is starting to really distract me. Man... for a few days I thought I finally found something that I can be happy with for a long time.

Then it occured to me that I had kept a pair of reference phones all this time for many years. The Etymotic ER-4S. I am listening to these now and man, I can't find anything wrong with them. And, they're portable, lightweight, and comfortable.

Oh, and one more pair - Koss PortaPros. For noncritical listening (movies, etc.) they're just awesome.

I've really tried hard to find a pair of "real" headphones that match the fidelity of the ER-4S. So far I've failed and I'm getting tired, and my bank account has suffered too much in the process. I think, perhaps, when I am rich enough I'll try the Sony MDR-R10s, Qualia 010s, or the Stax Omegas. But, I won't have the kind of cash necessary to purchase them for many years, and I think I really need to stop searching and enjoy the ER-4S.

I was thinking of jumping on the recent MDR-SA5000 deal but they raised the price before I made my mind to purchase. Oh well.

Anyway. Just wanted to briefly share my past three years of Head-Fi adventure with you all. It's been fun, I hope that soon I find the solution but I'm not going to be searching so hard anymore. I've tried all I've wanted to try (K1000, MS-Pro, HD650+Zu, CD3000) and every one disappointed in one way or another - there is simply no point of going forward in this search.

I'm enjoying my ER-4S more than ever now, for me there is no better subsitute under $1000. Hopefully I'll be able to afford $3~4K soon to pick up on the journey. Until then...
etysmile.gif

Mar 21, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #2 of 89
There's another solution - get speakers.
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2005 at 2:57 AM Post #3 of 89
The Etymotic ER4S's are among the top headphones in the world, regardless of price, imo. I could be happy with just my Ety's too. Enjoy the music now!

Mar 21, 2005 at 3:03 AM Post #4 of 89
Oh boy! I was wondering why you were selling all your stuff
frown.gif

I'm surprised you couldn't find your sound even if you could do DIY
confused.gif
I mean if you couldn't make something to please you, I don't believe anybody else could. But if things are at that point, then I have to wonder if you will ever be satisfied. I guess this is a good time to "quit". I'm nearly basically done listening to other equipment. I'm only going to hang at meets and talk to people because of friendships no longer equipment. At least stay in touch in the same regard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
The Etymotic ER4S's are among the top headphones in the world, regardless of price, imo. I could be happy with just my Ety's too. Enjoy the music now!

Is the Ety going to be your only "good" headphone also soon?

Mar 21, 2005 at 3:16 AM Post #6 of 89
I always thought inside of me that canal phones are the future. This is because the closer distance between the drivers and the ear drum. Going deeper, I think that, an invention like an earphone that transmit direct waves to our brain without leaking any sound to the outside world, should be on the works. Just a thought or dream maybe? The transition already started.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 21, 2005 at 3:33 AM Post #7 of 89
I haven't had 3 years yet but honestly, I've always gone into another set of headphones thinking that these will be "the ones". If I'm dissatisfied, I begin to look at the IC's, amp or source. Sometimes I wonder if it's, indeed, a fruitless pursuit. Chronic upgraditis which turns out to be nothing more than a lateral move or at best, an improvement of only the smallest increments. Honestly, I don't think I'll ever find my "perfect" headphone. I'll probably keep a favorite for home use and my E5's for travel. After a bit more evaluation, I'll probably begin selling off some of my stuff as well. It's just so doggone subjective and really, it's coming down to what I like instead of what others think and that's as it should be. I admire your ability to give it up and just be happy with what suits you. You'll have company soon.....I think!
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #8 of 89
I see he never tried the Grado HP1000’s?

I’m coming up on my 2-year anniversary with my HP2’s. RS-1’s have come and gone, DT931, AKG 501, HD600, DT931’s, HD650’s, RS-1 one or 2 more times.

I’m happy.

Mitch

Mar 21, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #11 of 89
I think you'll be back. I don't think your mind will be at ease until you've tried sa5k. Like you, I enjoy the 501 and grado sound. sa5k seems to be a hybrid of these. If it wasn't for the steep price, I'd buy one right now.

Mar 21, 2005 at 4:18 AM Post #13 of 89
Good luck Doo. I am another who enjoyed your very creative amps. That one with the blue LED's was absolutely stunning. I am lucky... I love those senn 650's with tube amps.
600smile.gif

Mar 21, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #14 of 89
Wow...I dont blame you but I will miss your creativity, artistic and aesthetic skill and mechanical ability. You have made your mark on HeadFi and you will be missed...

However...your search may be pointless as far as headphones are concerned - what about your interest in creating new designs for amps etc. ? You dont have to go away entirely right?

I respect whatever decision you decide to make.

Best regards,

gs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back