Quitting Head-Fi...
Mar 21, 2005 at 11:05 PM Post #76 of 89
Does this month from Hell will ever stop? First I was Tube and now a close call with Doob....
frown.gif

I'm more than happy to read that you'll be stopping now and then.

A fan....
wink.gif

Mar 21, 2005 at 11:13 PM Post #77 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by minya
No, than Ety 4S.

I don't really see how IEMs could ever be more comfortable than circumaural headphones. I mean, sticking something in your ear is just pretty much always going to be less comfortable than a soft leather pad surrounding your ear.

A properly molded custom IEM should fit your ears like a glove. Part of the high cost of the UE is that custom molding. They are only there when you think about them. I have to qualify this with "if you are OK with the IEM feel." Some people just don't like the "sticking" in your ear feeling. That is why it is no recommended to get a custom IEM without living with a generic for a couple of months. BTW, I even find the Shure E3C with grey sleeves far more comfortable than the Grado SR-225 and HD650 (with loosened headbands).

I use my sensas for 8+ hours straight on long plane flights. I just turn off the iPod to go to sleep, and use the sensas as ear plugs in the plane. They are that comfortable.

If I can only keep one headphone system, I will choose my iPod + Sensas (or UE) anytime. I value that combo higher than my home rig. I can listen to them anytime, anywhere. I don't even need an amp. They are ultra comfortable and convenient to me.

Mar 21, 2005 at 11:48 PM Post #78 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by PATB
A properly molded custom IEM should fit your ears like a glove. Part of the high cost of the UE is that custom molding. They are only there when you think about them. I have to qualify this with "if you are OK with the IEM feel." Some people just don't like the "sticking" in your ear feeling. That is why it is no recommended to get a custom IEM without living with a generic for a couple of months. BTW, I even find the Shure E3C with grey sleeves far more comfortable than the Grado SR-225 and HD650 (with loosened headbands).

I understand what you're saying, but I think you have to admit you're in the minority. Even a pair of custom-molded IEMs would, for most people, be less comfortable than a pair of circumaural headphones.

The Stax SR-404 are the most comfortable headphones I've worn -- they simply cradle your head. I find it nigh impossible to imagine anyone could find them uncomfortable -- but I imagine that there's a certain amount of people out there who will just never adjust to IEMs, custom-molded or not.

Of course, this is somewhat irrelevant, since doobooloo clearly doesn't mind canalphones. I'm just suggesting he try a Stax system, which has resale value, and may possibly be what he's looking for, before he buys a custom IEM, which really isn't possible to resell.

Mar 21, 2005 at 11:57 PM Post #79 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by minya
I understand what you're saying, but I think you have to admit you're in the minority. Even a pair of custom-molded IEMs would, for most people, be less comfortable than a pair of circumaural headphones.

I wouldn't be too sure of that! Let's hear it from UE and Sensa owners.

Mar 22, 2005 at 2:42 AM Post #80 of 89
My personal opinion regarding comfort - the less on my head, the better.

Few reasons for this:

1. No problem with hair (not a problem now but when I had long hair wearing the CD3Ks properly was a rather complicated ordeal)

2. No heat buildup around ears

3. No problems with sweat and nasty earpads during summer

4. No strange pressures on my head that can lead to fatigue

I think the custom fit mould of the IEM will distribute pressures on the ear very evenly over a relatively large surface, and the kind of in-ear pressure will be much less compared to that of the ER-4. In this respect I am very excited to try these custom fit IEMs, for me these would indeed be the ultimate in comfort.

The only downside is that it's not as convenient to slip on and off these phones, but I wouldn't be using them in situations where frequent on/off is required.

Mar 22, 2005 at 3:21 AM Post #81 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
it's funny i haven't read any people who took the custom IEM plunge
talk about how the ety's weren't dramticly inferior to their 900-1000 custom IEM. Perhaps after buying these, then making such comments is like punching yourself in the balls?

Not knocking them, but i'm just saying, i think there is a certain level where you
guys expect so much, that to always appreciate what there differences are, you make it up in your head that it's worth it. I cannot believe everyone who purchased these likes them that much, though ofcourse i can believe people do usually like them. just my 2 cents.

Yeah, it's just all in my head. I have no musical experience with what this stuff is supposed to sound like. You're right. I'm deaf.
rolleyes.gif

Really, someone asks me why I chose something and to describe what it sounds like, and someone else... who's never heard the headphone in question mind you... tells me I'm wrong. Think about it.

As for comparisons to etys. You haven't read those IEM threads well have you? I don't blame you, there's pages of nothing but flame wars, but there was plenty of talk that these blow shures and etys out of the water.

Is the cost of the upgrade worth it? I suppose that depends on you. How important music is to you, or rather, the monetary cost versus the gain in sound. Wearing these, I can say that I've spent my money on worse things in my life. And yet someone else who can't be bothered with such detail won't care about how much better they are and it won't be worth it.

All I can do is try to say how it sounds. Take it or leave it. Your loss.

Mar 22, 2005 at 5:56 AM Post #82 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
Yeah, it's just all in my head. I have no musical experience with what this stuff is supposed to sound like. You're right. I'm deaf.
rolleyes.gif

Really, someone asks me why I chose something and to describe what it sounds like, and someone else... who's never heard the headphone in question mind you... tells me I'm wrong. Think about it.

As for comparisons to etys. You haven't read those IEM threads well have you? I don't blame you, there's pages of nothing but flame wars, but there was plenty of talk that these blow shures and etys out of the water.

Is the cost of the upgrade worth it? I suppose that depends on you. How important music is to you, or rather, the monetary cost versus the gain in sound. Wearing these, I can say that I've spent my money on worse things in my life. And yet someone else who can't be bothered with such detail won't care about how much better they are and it won't be worth it.

All I can do is try to say how it sounds. Take it or leave it. Your loss.

I read through them a bit, and pretty much strayed away after developing my cyinical opinion. No one insulted your "musical ability". Chill out.... Sheesh. Who says your wrong? Whenever you reply to my comments you either read far too much between the lines,or flat out miss my point. Either way, i wasn't on your case so chill b.

My opinion was someone wouldn't let on about how much is exageraation, since buying something like this is such a comittment that to be less then happy with them is almost sinful. It's hard to get a good comment about how worth it or great they are, since you can only know how great they are if you bought them! Hence you are stuck to your opinion, and if you arent so thrilled well, u must feel like a jerk...

That's why this is such a touchy topic to me.

Mar 22, 2005 at 7:57 AM Post #83 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by doobooloo
A point of no return...

The ER-4S has a sale pending. I'm putting up all my stuff for sale.

The UE-10 Pros better be what they're all so hyped up to be.

Man...

I remember the moment I first heard about the UE-10 Pros... My reaction at the time was, "what kind of screwed up person would pay a grand for earbuds?" Look now how much I've been screwed up by all of you.

But I'm glad realizing that this is what I've been looking for in headphones but could not find, and will find it now and will be bound to it for many many years to come!

Thanks for all your support and guidance towards financial ruin, um, I mean, audiophilia. I'll post impressions once I get them, I seriously hope this will be the end of the road for me.

umm...me

Doosik, if you have any questions regarding the Ue-10 PRO, well, send me a PM or e-mail message
cool.gif

Mar 22, 2005 at 4:53 PM Post #84 of 89
I lately got into canalphones and I must admit that even if my pair is an humble Westone UM2 , they are making my other headphones alone on the shelf lately... reasons are the ones doobooloo exposed , comfort on top. for me .. this has always been a great point for headphone pleasure on the long period , and eventually got me prefering lighter headphones ( aka k501 ) to heavier bulkier ( hd650 ) many times ..

Um2 did not stop my research but I'm yet sure after 2 weeks of UM2 use , I'll upgrade to another canalphone - Ultimate Ears , Westone , Sensas? I don't know still as I'm appreciating still my new um2 -.. the comfort and usability factor is so evident and determinating .

well I think that many owing and living happy with a nice in-the-ear pair can see how possibility is the future researches on headphones will soon or left focus much more on improving in-the-ear phones and many brands will produce them ( this has yet started to happen )

sometimes when wearing hd650 i yet feel this is quite somewgat an " old way " to listen to music when I compare it to wearing my canalphones

Mar 22, 2005 at 6:00 PM Post #85 of 89
try the black shure e5c "comfy" tips with your ety er4 and any quibbles you have about comfort will evaporate.

Mar 23, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #86 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by spike33
I agree with PsychoZX. sa5k is safer bet. You can easily resell it later.

Is there some kind of conspiracy here...you guys have the same guy in your avatar...with the same filename...
eek.gif

Somebody said something of musical experience...I played a french horn today...oh such a sweet instrument, I'd buy one except for the fact that they cost like 2200 dollars O_O. Anyway, it was fun, but I couldn't hold or go low at all...that's what I get for not playing for a year and a half
tongue.gif

Mar 23, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #87 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
Is there some kind of conspiracy here...you guys have the same guy in your avatar...with the same filename...
eek.gif

lol

Mar 23, 2005 at 5:00 AM Post #88 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
eek.gif

Somebody said something of musical experience...I played a french horn today...oh such a sweet instrument, I'd buy one except for the fact that they cost like 2200 dollars O_O. Anyway, it was fun, but I couldn't hold or go low at all...that's what I get for not playing for a year and a half
tongue.gif

If you wanna play the cool stuff in movie scores, it French Horn all the way.
smily_headphones1.gif
It's one tough instrument though... probably the toughest of the conventional wind instruments in a band, at least I think so.
smily_headphones1.gif
But even a decent clarinet costs as much nowadays.
frown.gif

Me? The best I get is the impression of a dying cow.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back