Quitting Head-Fi...
Mar 21, 2005 at 6:49 AM Post #32 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by doobooloo
You all are evil.

Now I am thinking of the UE-10Pro. But they're freaking $900, that's four times what I paid for my ER-4S.

Convince me out of this. Or I'm selling everything I have now including my pair of Etys to get the UE-10Pros.

Well Sensas are a tad cheaper, I mean, just pretend you're getting a pair of Ms-pros.
biggrin.gif

Of course I think Sensas are the way to go, but I think either way, you're going to get something that's so much better than etys, but the same idea. Whichever you choose, you could well be a happy camper with just the IEMs. Of course for airiness, I'd keep a favorite comfy pair of open cans around, but you don't neccessarily have to.

Mar 21, 2005 at 6:52 AM Post #33 of 89
I think more than anything, it's complete accuracy free from as much distortion as possible that is what I am looking for. Hence, my preference of ER-4S over all those headphones I've tried so far.

I may like the SA5000 but I'll probably end up selling them down the line anyway.

That's my biggest problem. I buy something, and then very shortly I sell it to buy something else. I think a very nice audio dealer nearby with all the headphones to try out would have been my biggest blessing in this adventure.

Well, at least I was able to try so many different headphones over a very short period of time, but what happened in the end? I still came back to the ER-4S. So strange...

Anyway, this whole buy-sell-buy craze is the real reason why I want to get myself the UE-10. They're permanent. $1000 out of my pocket, never to return again. I can't resell them for something that will give me pleasure for one month. I think with it I can finally just forget about all other upgrade paths and really enjoy the music.

See, now that I decide to just keep the ER-4S, because it's resellable, I am already thinking of upgrade paths. Something's going haywire up there in my brain.

And, as in-ear monitors similar to the ER-4S they'll be free of distortions that plague real headphones - chamber resonance, diaphragm breakup, etc...

Oh well. I'm off to bed but I'll be giving UE a call tomorrow, I'll let you all know what happens.

Mar 21, 2005 at 6:55 AM Post #34 of 89
Quote:

I think more than anything, it's complete accuracy free from as much distortion as possible that is what I am looking for. Hence, my preference of ER-4S over all those headphones I've tried so far.

I may like the SA5000 but I'll probably end up selling them down the line anyway.

That's my biggest problem. I buy something, and then very shortly I sell it to buy something else. I think a very nice audio dealer nearby with all the headphones to try out would have been my biggest blessing in this adventure.

Well, at least I was able to try so many different headphones over a very short period of time, but what happened in the end? I still came back to the ER-4S. So strange...

Anyway, this whole buy-sell-buy craze is the real reason why I want to get myself the UE-10. They're permanent. $1000 out of my pocket, never to return again. I can't resell them for something that will give me pleasure for one month. I think with it I can finally just forget about all other upgrade paths and really enjoy the music.

See, now that I decide to just keep the ER-4S, because it's resellable, I am already thinking of upgrade paths. Something's going haywire up there in my brain.

And, as in-ear monitors similar to the ER-4S they'll be free of distortions that plague real headphones - chamber resonance, diaphragm breakup, etc...

Oh well. I'm off to bed but I'll be giving UE a call tomorrow, I'll let you all know what happens.

lol, doo. You almost made it.

But thankfully, you and your phenomenally gorgeous avatar will not be leaving.
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2005 at 6:55 AM Post #35 of 89
Quote:

Thats an insteresting way of looking at it but if you get them and don't like them you might have just wasted $1000.

Mar 21, 2005 at 6:58 AM Post #36 of 89
Yes, my phenomenally gorgeous avatar will not be leaving.
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I don't think the $1000 will go to waste. I really love how the ER-4S sounds but given the descriptions of more fluid mids and highs, as well as much fuller bass - without all the nasty distortions of full sized cans - that is really something to die for.

OK. Really off to bed. Gotta sleep this through and think about this with a clear mind tomorrow morning.

Mar 21, 2005 at 7:10 AM Post #37 of 89
Doob:

Your posts always stand out as thoughtful and well-informed, and your casework has no competition. Don't go. You've experienced more equipment than many of us, and more than me by far, but here is some sage advice for you-- settle down and enjoy your ER-4S's no matter what others may say. You said yourself that you can find no fault with them. I ran the upgrade course in a similar "sensory" hobby and ended up returning back to square one a lot smarter but a bit poorer than I was when I first set my foot onto the path.

I recommend you go out immediately and reward yourself and your experience with a few hundred dollars in music. Or consider expanding into loudspeakers as others have mentioned.

Trust your ears--they like the ER-4S.

-coma

Mar 21, 2005 at 9:11 AM Post #38 of 89
Just take a break! Don´t upgrade too often and concentrate on the music, not on your gear!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2005 at 10:19 AM Post #39 of 89
You can't chop the molding off the UE/Sensas? What if you damage it and need new impressions?

Mar 21, 2005 at 10:31 AM Post #40 of 89
I agree that the etys are special and if I had but one set of cans it could well be them. The MS-pros add a life they etys don't quite project. Now I don't want to tempt you but the SA5000 are very much like etys in detail and accuracy but with real upper treble and bass.

...the journey is the fun part, getting there can sometimes sadly ruin it all.

Have fun,

TonyAAA

Mar 21, 2005 at 10:44 AM Post #41 of 89
Quote:

eek.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

I really don't understand opinions like this now... The 4S are the most overtly distortion-laden phone I've ever heard. In many ways it's the least high fidelity >$200 phone I've ever heard. Why not buy an EQ, jack up the highs on any premium phone and you'll enjoy far better balance than the 4S can muster?

(I guess I've blown my chances for a custom case there
evil_smiley.gif
)

Mar 21, 2005 at 10:54 AM Post #42 of 89
i think the midrange is the only weakness of the er-4, compared to the ms-2 the midrange of the er-4S is defently lacking a sense of refinement, but everything else sounds so dam good
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2005 at 12:33 PM Post #43 of 89
Quote:

You all are evil.

Now I am thinking of the UE-10Pro. But they're freaking $900, that's four times what I paid for my ER-4S.

Convince me out of this. Or I'm selling everything I have now including my pair of Etys to get the UE-10Pros.

Hah!! You're asking THIS bunch to talk you OUT of a buy?? Doo, I thought you'd know better after so many years on Head-Fi.
icon10.gif

This is Head-Fi not Fantasy Island.

Mar 21, 2005 at 12:37 PM Post #44 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
Hah!! You're asking THIS bunch to talk you OUT of a buy?? Doo, I thought you'd know better after so many years on Head-Fi.
icon10.gif

This is Head-Fi not Fantasy Island.

Your right but at least i'm trying to stear him in a less expensive direction.
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2005 at 1:29 PM Post #45 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
eek.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

I really don't understand opinions like this now... The 4S are the most overtly distortion-laden phone I've ever heard. In many ways it's the least high fidelity >$200 phone I've ever heard. Why not buy an EQ, jack up the highs on any premium phone and you'll enjoy far better balance than the 4S can muster?

(I guess I've blown my chances for a custom case there
evil_smiley.gif
)

Thing is, I would have agreed with him earilier this summer. But now I'm more inclined to say "Listen to Bangraman."
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back