Quick: King of close back headphones still in production
Mar 24, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #91 of 243
Quote:
Because they don't produce equipment because its "better" they produce it because its "better for business" - the R10 were not profitable from what I've read, and that's the end of them. Same reason Sony went through and cleaned house with their headphone lineup a few years ago - they're losing money and need to do something.

Generally models that don't sell, or that don't realize their desired sales volume, will not last very long (or the company will not last very long).

same was the case with the orpheus 
ph34r.gif

Mar 24, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #92 of 243
The R10 was from the Sony golden era. When the company was literally overflowing with cash and success. They were building cost is no object "dreams". I think the phillosophy was that "if you build it they will come," but unfortunately that really wasn't the case. They brought together a once in a lifetime team of engineers and audio masters to create the R10. Even at $5000+ they were losing money with each unit sold.

I think Sony will always be a legendary headphone company for doing this, but the R10 will never rise again.

I hear that the LCD-3 and TH900 are comparable to the R10. Not better per se, but within the same level of performance. So us modern folk do have our options even if the R10 never comes back. Plus the R10 just looks stupid when worn on the head.
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 25, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #93 of 243

[size=medium] Kings nominated from this thread:[/size]

[size=medium]  [/size]

[size=medium] Sony MDR-Z1000/7520[/size]

[size=medium] SoundMagic HP100[/size]

[size=medium] Beyerdynamic T5p[/size]

[size=medium] Ultrasone Edition 8[/size]

[size=medium] AKG K550[/size]

[size=medium] Sony MDR-1R[/size]

[size=medium] Fostex TH900[/size]

[size=medium] Fostex TH600[/size]

[size=medium] Kenwood KH-K1000[/size]

[size=medium] Audio Technica W5000[/size]

[size=medium] Denon AH-D7100[/size]

[size=medium] Yamaha Pro 500[/size]

[size=medium] Fostex Paradox[/size]

[size=medium] Ultrasone Signature Pro[/size]

[size=medium]  [/size]

[size=medium] Anyone want to suggest op-out any of these that are not in the "King's" league?[/size]

Mar 25, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #95 of 243
You skipped the DX1000 and unless AKG did some serious retuning that I'm unaware of, the K550 shouldn't be on the list.

Mar 25, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #96 of 243
Quote:
You skipped the DX1000 and unless AKG did some serious retuning that I'm unaware of, the K550 shouldn't be on the list.

K550... maybe also MDR-1R and HP100? I am not sure, never listen to them before are they up there in the same league?

Mar 25, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #97 of 243
While maybe not the king of closed headphones, the Sony MDR-CD900ST is an absolutely stellar headphone.

They aren't very bassy, their extension on both ends is pretty weak, and their soundstage is very small, but their mid range is in the absolute highest tier of headphones, from my experience. They obviously aren't suited for all genres, but for music like folk, and small rock arrangements they sound incredible. Very, very lifelike presentation of voices, with great body and clean extraction of microdetail, while never sounding shouty or sibilant.

Mar 25, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #98 of 243
Quote:

[size=medium] Kings nominated from this thread:[/size]

[size=medium]  [/size]

[size=medium] Sony MDR-Z1000/7520[/size]

[size=medium] SoundMagic HP100[/size]

[size=medium] Beyerdynamic T5p[/size]

[size=medium] Ultrasone Edition 8[/size]

[size=medium] AKG K550[/size]

[size=medium] Sony MDR-1R[/size]

[size=medium] Fostex TH900[/size]

[size=medium] Fostex TH600[/size]

[size=medium] Kenwood KH-K1000[/size]

[size=medium] Audio Technica W5000[/size]

[size=medium] Denon AH-D7100[/size]

[size=medium] Yamaha Pro 500[/size]

[size=medium] Fostex Paradox[/size]

[size=medium] Ultrasone Signature Pro[/size]

[size=medium]  [/size]

[size=medium] Anyone want to suggest op-out any of these that are not in the "King's" league?[/size]

you forgot the mad dog? and um... doesnt the fostex th900 on the list mean that the th600 is cancelled out? 

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #100 of 243
Quote:
K550... maybe also MDR-1R and HP100? I am not sure, never listen to them before are they up there in the same league?

I haven't heard the other two so I can't say either way, but the K550 I heard (before AKG apparently changed the pads) sounded tragic. It had potential, but the upper mids were just too much for me to enjoy. I still want one to mod though.

And I wouldn't assume the DX1000 is the definitive king, but for those that like a lot of bass, I'd assume it'd put up a great fight against the TH900 (maybe. I reaaaally want to hear the TH900)

Mar 25, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #102 of 243
I've owned a lot of closed headphones over the years and my vote for the best I've heard go to the TH-900s (with very special mention going to the W3000ANVs).

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #104 of 243
Quote:

Aha! DX1000 is indeed a very nice headphones. Nice as in good looking because I haven't heard them :)

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #105 of 243
Quote:
While maybe not the king of closed headphones, the Sony MDR-CD900ST is an absolutely stellar headphone.

They aren't very bassy, their extension on both ends is pretty weak, and their soundstage is very small, but their mid range is in the absolute highest tier of headphones, from my experience. They obviously aren't suited for all genres, but for music like folk, and small rock arrangements they sound incredible. Very, very lifelike presentation of voices, with great body and clean extraction of microdetail, while never sounding shouty or sibilant.

Is it better than the MDR-7509HD?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back