Quick: King of close back headphones still in production
Mar 22, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #46 of 243
IMHO, the Yamaha PRO 500. This headphone is something special and is severely being overlooked most likely because of its looks. It may look similar to a beats headphone, but the SQ is worlds apart. This is the first headphone I can say that has the most natural timbre I've heard in a headphone. It sounds very musical while also having the instrument separation of a great studio monitor headphone and instruments just sound very refined. Decay is very natural - its hard to do cymbals and drums just right as well as strings and piano on a headphone and to my ears, the 500 reproduces these instruments as well as vocals beautifully. The weight of the instruments is great while the 500 never manages to sound slow.

I hope more people give these a chance. Usually the more expensive a headphone is, the more critical I am of it. These headphones are worth the price for what they deliver IMO. BQ is good as well. The only gripes I can say is maybe the comfort, as the headphone is slightly heavy and the ear cups are a bit small. Also while they look and feel more elegant than a beats headphone, I wish they did look more low-key, head-conforming and industrial (a la HD25, 1R, Momentum, etc.) Those are just minor gripes though. Isolation is very good, better than the MDR-1R, not as good as a DT-1350. The sound is smooth and balanced with plenty of sparkle up top without sounding harsh. The mids really shine through and are in line with bass - the bass has good detail is very impactful - if you're prefer more neutral cans like the DT 1350, it may not be your cup of tea although i own both and appreciate them both. But in no way does it enroach the mids. I just love this can. I should also mention that soundstage, layering and imaging are top notch as well. Would love to know what others think of them when they hear them. I was definitely pleasantly surprised and it's the first headphone I've owned that I know is going to be a keeper.

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #48 of 243
Guys, I think you can only have 1 king of your own :D
You cannot serve multiple kings at the same time lol.

Mar 22, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #50 of 243
I just returned the Yamaha Pro 500 as it wasn't comfortable and as enjoyable as Amperior. But I will buy it again if it can be made more comfortable. The SQ is truly world-class out of the box. I would rank it second after Amperior as I like a more smoother sound. I find the yammy extremely accurate to a point where it can get a bit uncomfortable for me after an hour of listening.

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #51 of 243
Guys, keyword is "still in production".

+1. Also, aren't the W3000ANV technically no longer in production? (last I heard, they were finally sold out)

i have read a headphone flagship review on here that the reviewer really did not like the w5000. you think he didnt have a good fit or a matching amp?

Like Andrew said - it's one guy, and shouldn't be taken as canon law no matter how fancy the HTML makes it look. :ph34r:

As far as why he didn't like them, who knows - he just said "poor all around" which is pretty much worthless as a condemnation (gotta provide more details as to what you dislike, why you dislike it, relative to what, etc - just saying "this is bad" doesn't tell us anything).

but soon the Audez'e closed back will dethrone both.

Can we not start the hype steamroller? Please? :xf_eek:

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #52 of 243
Quote:
IMHO, the Yamaha PRO 500. This headphone is something special and is severely being overlooked most likely because of its looks. It may look similar to a beats headphone, but the SQ is worlds apart. This is the first headphone I can say that has the most natural timbre I've heard in a headphone. It sounds very musical while also having the instrument separation of a great studio monitor headphone and instruments just sound very refined. Decay is very natural - its hard to do cymbals and drums just right as well as strings and piano on a headphone and to my ears, the 500 reproduces these instruments as well as vocals beautifully. The weight of the instruments is great while the 500 never manages to sound slow.

I hope more people give these a chance. Usually the more expensive a headphone is, the more critical I am of it. These headphones are worth the price for what they deliver IMO. BQ is good as well. The only gripes I can say is maybe the comfort, as the headphone is slightly heavy and the ear cups are a bit small. Also while they look and feel more elegant than a beats headphone, I wish they did look more low-key, head-conforming and industrial (a la HD25, 1R, Momentum, etc.) Those are just minor gripes though. Isolation is very good, better than the MDR-1R, not as good as a DT-1350. The sound is smooth and balanced with plenty of sparkle up top without sounding harsh. The mids really shine through and are in line with bass - the bass has good detail is very impactful - if you're prefer more neutral cans like the DT 1350, it may not be your cup of tea although i own both and appreciate them both. But in no way does it enroach the mids. I just love this can. I should also mention that soundstage, layering and imaging are top notch as well. Would love to know what others think of them when they hear them. I was definitely pleasantly surprised and it's the first headphone I've owned that I know is going to be a keeper.

It's very hard to believe that the Yamaha Pro 500 can match any of the top tier closed backs. It is a decent mid-fi closed back, but definitely not "King" worthy.

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #54 of 243
Quote:

I think the Z1000's do sound better on some recordings,
although I prefer the 7520's overall.

I'm glad to have both; they're definitely my two favorite closed headphones.
Sony did a great job with those.

thanks i feel better now lol. i still love my z1000 regardless... 

Quote:
the 7520 is just slightly different. Tuned driver/innard change, different padding and the foam that covers drivers.

Quote:
Have you ever listened to the z1000 though?
No because I thought that it'd be un returnable :/

i see... the cables are different too. 

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #55 of 243
Quote:
+1. Also, aren't the W3000ANV technically no longer in production? (last I heard, they were finally sold out)
Like Andrew said - it's one guy, and shouldn't be taken as canon law no matter how fancy the HTML makes it look.
ph34r.gif

As far as why he didn't like them, who knows - he just said "poor all around" which is pretty much worthless as a condemnation (gotta provide more details as to what you dislike, why you dislike it, relative to what, etc - just saying "this is bad" doesn't tell us anything).
Can we not start the hype steamroller? Please?
redface.gif

you know who i was talking about?

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #57 of 243
Quote:
It's very hard to believe that the Yamaha Pro 500 can match any of the top tier closed backs. It is a decent mid-fi closed back, but definitely not "King" worthy.

Not mid-fi to my ears, they are more resolving than any mid-fi can I've heard yet and they are not peaky like some headphones, for example the Z1000. Have you tried the 500?

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #58 of 243
Quote:
Pretty sure.
redface.gif

Also, I think you can buy the 7520 cables separately from Sony's Pro/Broadcast division (as well as a matched hard-case), that should all fit the Z1000 afaik.

thanks for the info. and for the guy who did the review, http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #59 of 243
TH600 could be a good, more affordable than fancy urishi lacquered TH900 alternative to now discontinued D5K, D7K.
http://www.headfonia.com/fostex-th900-and-th600/

Mad Dogs with Alpha Pads are actually pretty good, I wouldn't proclaim them "kings" though. But they have perhaps the best around price/performance ratio and are actually isolating.

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #60 of 243
Quote:
Can we not start the hype steamroller? Please?
redface.gif

Opps sorry.
wink_face.gif

But that hype train will roll with or without me. It's a new Audez'e afterall.

Truth be told. I am a big fanboy of the latest Revision (LCD 2.2), so I do have personal high hopes for a closed back from Audez'e. If it can't even beat the Sig Pros or Sony 7520, then Audez'e has failed. Not that Sig Pros are bad or anything. They're amazing as well. (to me that is)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back