Quick: King of close back headphones still in production
Mar 21, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #31 of 243
Could be anything, that just one individual opinion. Do a search for W5000 in the title, it has pretty wide fanbase. On my setup they get same or more headtime than HD800, I think of them as of HD800 with soul as they have comparable details and soundstage but W5000 adds very nice euphonic coloration to midrange, some do prefer more neutral presentation. Another thing, with wrong amp and bad seal they sound thin and distant.

i see... what amp are you driving it with?

Mar 21, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #32 of 243
Quote:

how much did you get it for?

I only demoed them, but they cost around $800 from Amazon.jp. I saw one go on eBay for around $300 and I'm quite sad I didn't have the funds for it.

Mar 21, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #33 of 243
Quote:

i see... what amp are you driving it with?

ATH designed special amp for them AT-HA5000 that supposed to pair extremely well, I haven't heard that one myself but feedback is very positive.

I liked them with original GS-1, but new modules from Justin (Dynalo+, same that go into new GS-X MK II) brought them to another level by adding extra weight.

You may want to look at W5000 Owners' Amp Registry thread, it has quite a few options that people liked listed.

For proper fit 90% of people need to bend the headband to increase clamping force and in order to create the required seal, rotate cups slightly forward after putting phones on, so earpads "lock" around ears. Bizkid posted that hint he learned from L3000 manual.
The seam on the pad should be aligned with the cup mounting screw on front (for most people), this is stock orientation, but you can also experiment with rotating earpads as well, they just spin around, to find the best position.

Mar 21, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #35 of 243
Quote:
ATH designed special amp for them AT-HA5000 that supposed to pair extremely well, I haven't heard that one myself but feedback is very positive.

I liked them with original GS-1, but new modules from Justin (Dynalo+, same that go into new GS-X MK II) brought them to another level by adding extra weight.

You may want to look at W5000 Owners' Amp Registry thread, it has quite a few options that people liked listed.

For proper fit 90% of people need to bend the headband to increase clamping force and in order to create the required seal, rotate cups slightly forward after putting phones on, so earpads "lock" around ears. Bizkid posted that hint he learned from L3000 manual.
The seam on the pad should be aligned with the cup mounting screw on front (for most people), this is stock orientation, but you can also experiment with rotating earpads as well, they just spin around, to find the best position.

thanks for the tips, i will look into it after i finish my final

Quote:

I only demoed them, but they cost around $800 from Amazon.jp. I saw one go on eBay for around $300 and I'm quite sad I didn't have the funds for it.

300 on ebay? is it new?

Mar 21, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #36 of 243
IMHO

Ultrsone Sig Pros, followed closely by the Sony MDR-7520 (yes better than the Z1000), but soon the Audez'e closed back will dethrone both.

TH900 is closed technically, but leaks sound like an open can, so not sure if these will work for you.

Haven't had a chance to try the Mad Dogs or Paradox, but those two might be even better than the one's I've mentioned above.

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #39 of 243
Quote:
IMHO

Ultrsone Sig Pros, followed closely by the Sony MDR-7520 (yes better than the Z1000), but soon the Audez'e closed back will dethrone both.

TH900 is closed technically, but leaks sound like an open can, so not sure if these will work for you.

Haven't had a chance to try the Mad Dogs or Paradox, but those two might be even better than the one's I've mentioned above.

I think the Z1000's are great, and
I think their 'Professional' version, the MDR-7520's are even better,

Phenomenal closed headphones.

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #40 of 243
Quote:
Oh have you listened to it? What open headphone did you finally get?

still deciding on that 
tongue.gif

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #44 of 243
Quote:
Damn it, why did I get the z1000?
redface.gif
anyone thinks the z1000 is better?
biggrin.gif

the 7520 is just slightly different. Tuned driver/innard change, different padding and the foam that covers drivers.

Quote:
Have you ever listened to the z1000 though?
No because I thought that it'd be un returnable :/

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #45 of 243
Quote:
Damn it, why did I get the z1000?
redface.gif
anyone thinks the z1000 is better?
biggrin.gif

Quote:
the 7520 is just slightly different. Tuned driver/innard change, different padding and the foam that covers drivers.

Quote:
Have you ever listened to the z1000 though?
No because I thought that it'd be un returnable :/

I think the Z1000's do sound better on some recordings,
although I prefer the 7520's overall.

I'm glad to have both; they're definitely my two favorite closed headphones.
Sony did a great job with those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back