Quick Impression: Sony MDR-7550
Nov 12, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #361 of 651
Very well, I do think the bass boost is the bad part of the mod, but some will like it. cable differences are almost nonexistent IMO, tried all 3 Sony cables. 

Nov 12, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #363 of 651
EX1K cable has the best conductivity, but the differences brought out by that are so tiny because of the EX1K's linear impedance phase that it really isn't practical to buy the overpriced cable, better off finding a lower OI source.  see this

Nov 13, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #364 of 651
i personally think the bass on the 7550 sounds fine

I can't read japanese but according to these frequency response charts, the ex800st's response looks different than headroom's chart of the 7550

source: http://sonove.angry.jp/sony_MDR_EX800ST.html

Source: http://www.headphone.com/headphones/sony-mdr-7550.php

Nov 13, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #365 of 651
Ya, that first graph seemed to have a leak. The bottom one is fine. One is raw and one compensated as well, which accounts for the treble differences. 

Dec 4, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #366 of 651
hey guys, just a quick question. Would these be good for metal/rock? I listen to a lot of metal like Gojira, Kreator, Children of Bodom, Krisiun, etc.. and was wondering if these woud fit the bill. Or will i be better off with a Westone 3? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #367 of 651
Quote:
hey guys, just a quick question. Would these be good for metal/rock? I listen to a lot of metal like Gojira, Kreator, Children of Bodom, Krisiun, etc.. and was wondering if these woud fit the bill. Or will i be better off with a Westone 3? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

They are good all arounders IMO. They sound good with rock as well.

Dec 7, 2012 at 6:12 AM Post #368 of 651
Quote:

While the 7550 is a good all rounder, my metal-head friend seems to prefer the JVC FXD80 for metal just because it is faster and the highs / lows hit harder. Of course, it's not nearly as neutral as the 7550.

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #370 of 651
Very well, I do think the bass boost is the bad part of the mod, but some will like it. cable differences are almost nonexistent IMO, tried all 3 Sony cables

I'm actually quite reluctant to respond back on this thread after all that verbal insults you hurled at me in your earlier post, but in all truth-ness I believe that's what you think only, but doesn't mean or apply that it's going to be the same situation or scenario for everyone out there as all of us hear things differently and we have our own individualised ear shapes/canals respectively. You forgotten abt something called the reference plane theory for our ear canals in terms of IEM isolation/seal, and how the 6kHz effect can be affected when one doesn't get a proper seal in terms of IEMs. Are you exactly so sure during the short period you had the EX800ST's you had on loan, you obtained a proper seal with it/wearing it properly? I know there's alot of feedbacks in other forums regarding the EX1000's, alot of ppl couldn't get a proper seal with them despite that the EX1000/EX800ST/EX600 models are relatively easy to get a proper seal for my ears, by just pulling down my ear lobes first. (I didn't even have to do weird acrobatics like tilt my heart 90 degrees to one side, or open my jaw or anything)

You also forgotten something and that is, in the American package for the MDR-EX1000's they were given the non 7N-OFC cheaper cords, and not the original 7N OFC cords that was originally available in the Japanese box package for the MDR-EX1000's. I ordered the original 7N-OFC EX1000 cable directly from Japan via my friend, and after doing proper ABX-ing btw the default RK-EX800ST cables that came with my EX800's. there's indeed a difference in the highs and in terms of soundstaging/imaging presentation for me. (though if you don't focus and AB them side by side, it's properly hard to tell the SQ traits apart)

I also wish to emphasize that in the past, I'm usually not into this whole cables/interconnects hype as I have never engaged in any sort of high-end cables discussion on Head-fi once before. But when I changed to more expensive interconnects for my portable amp as well as the RK-EX800 to RK-EX1000LP Sony 7N-OFC cables earlier this year, there's indeed a discernable difference in terms of SQ to my ears, only better SQ not in terms of lousier SQ. Also to clarify up-front, my EX800's impressions are not written because of some mere new-toy syndrome, because my original comment was written after I already owned these for a good 1 year, 1 month before I finally jumped on that RK-EX1000LP cables, so I think there's alot of things that you have insulted about me that's not true at all.

This will probably be last time, I'll be making any sort of direct response to any of your posts on Head-fi here. To be frank I'm only here just to enjoy the discussion flow of any IEM/headphones gear I happen to own and to share my insights with all fellow Head-fiers in here, I didn't come to Head-fi to make online enemies neither do I have the spare time to engage in delirous debates with someone, who clearly has too much time for Head-fi forums on his hands.

Thanks for your time reading.

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #371 of 651

I don't listen to the above metal artists/bands you have just listed, but I do listen to a good deal of japanese rock artists/bands and while the MDR-EX800ST/7550's are not weak performers in these genres, you might wanna look at another alternative IEM that comes with more energetic treble especially in the upper-mids treble response, and deeper bass impact as the EX800ST/7550's are actually quite tamed in terms of FR response around the upper-mids/highs region. A more V-shaped like IEM should be able to give you more satisfaction for metal/rock genres, if you don't have a budget in mind right now may I suggest you to look into models like FI-BA-SB (heaven S) by maker Final Audio Design, or the Phonaks Audeo PFE232, as these are what I consider to be pretty excellent IEMs that excel in the above genres you had mentioned.

Joker did wrote reviews for both the FAD Heaven S and Heaven C models in his Multi-IEMs discussion thread before, you may wanna refer to his reviews as a form of reference point if you do not have any chance to audition/try the Final Audio Design IEMs in your local country, as I do find that his reviews of both FAD IEMs to be quite accurate and similar to my own listening impressions as well.

Cheers!

Dec 12, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #372 of 651
Quote:
I'm actually quite reluctant to respond back on this thread after all that verbal insults you hurled at me in your earlier post, but in all truth-ness I believe that's what you think only, but doesn't mean or apply that it's going to be the same situation or scenario for everyone out there as all of us hear things differently and we have our own individualised ear shapes/canals respectively. You forgotten abt something called the reference plane theory for our ear canals in terms of IEM isolation/seal, and how the 6kHz effect can be affected when one doesn't get a proper seal in terms of IEMs. Are you exactly so sure during the short period you had the EX800ST's you had on loan, you obtained a proper seal with it/wearing it properly? I know there's alot of feedbacks in other forums regarding the EX1000's, alot of ppl couldn't get a proper seal with them despite that the EX1000/EX800ST/EX600 models are relatively easy to get a proper seal for my ears, by just pulling down my ear lobes first. (I didn't even have to do weird acrobatics like tilt my heart 90 degrees to one side, or open my jaw or anything)
You also forgotten something and that is, in the American package for the MDR-EX1000's they were given the non 7N-OFC cheaper cords, and not the original 7N OFC cords that was originally available in the Japanese box package for the MDR-EX1000's. I ordered the original 7N-OFC EX1000 cable directly from Japan via my friend, and after doing proper ABX-ing btw the default RK-EX800ST cables that came with my EX800's. there's indeed a difference in the highs and in terms of soundstaging/imaging presentation for me. (though if you don't focus and AB them side by side, it's properly hard to tell the SQ traits apart)
I also wish to emphasize that in the past, I'm usually not into this whole cables/interconnects hype as I have never engaged in any sort of high-end cables discussion on Head-fi once before. But when I changed to more expensive interconnects for my portable amp as well as the RK-EX800 to RK-EX1000LP Sony 7N-OFC cables earlier this year, there's indeed a discernable difference in terms of SQ to my ears, only better SQ not in terms of lousier SQ. Also to clarify up-front, my EX800's impressions are not written because of some mere new-toy syndrome, because my original comment was written after I already owned these for a good 1 year, 1 month before I finally jumped on that RK-EX1000LP cables, so I think there's alot of things that you have insulted about me that's not true at all.
This will probably be last time, I'll be making any sort of direct response to any of your posts on Head-fi here. To be frank I'm only here just to enjoy the discussion flow of any IEM/headphones gear I happen to own and to share my insights with all fellow Head-fiers in here, I didn't come to Head-fi to make online enemies neither do I have the spare time to engage in delirous debates with someone, who clearly has too much time for Head-fi forums on his hands.
Thanks for your time reading.

I completely agree with you Haonan just because he can't hear it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I believe you all when you say you can hear a difference. Because so do I with my other IEMs. Heck I can even discern differences between Pure Silver LOD and Copper LOD. It's quite noticeable to my ears and not hard to pick out at all. In fact in certain instances the cables can actually make or break synergy with my gear.

Dec 12, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #373 of 651
yeppers x10! when I had my EX1000s, I got a copper gold/plated cable for them and it helped out, even more so with other IEMs, silver helps with the treble, copper and gold more towards bass! I liked copper/silver plated the best as it fell nicely in the middle!

I have sold off my 7550s, and the 1000s, am very tempted to get another set of the 7550s though? but atm I am really into my W4's, so won't venture there anytime soon, can get them on ebay for under $200.00? ggrrr, ugh! lol,
cool.gif
 hhmmm?

Dec 15, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #374 of 651
Hey, I am thinking about getting these, and after having read through all pages of this thread... I've forgotten about half, so I have a few short Q's.

1. Do the EX800ST/7550's bleed/leak a lot of sound?
2. What (if any) are the differences between EX800ST and 7550's? Was gonna order the EX800ST's from Amazon Japan, but none of their merchants would ship to Norway... T_T

Dec 15, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #375 of 651
In my experience, they almost don't leak at all, unless you blast the volume. And IIRC there aren't any differences reported between the two, soundwise. For what it's worth, on the shell of my 7550, it says "MDR-7550 JAPAN" and on the y-split 'body' says "RK-EX800ST".

If you still want to order from amazon.jp, you can use a forwarding service like Tenso. Many people here in head-fi have reported great service from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back