Questyle QP2R
Feb 1, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #406 of 1,225
Hey guys
New on this thread, recently tried iBasso DX200, returned it, not happy with software bugs mainly, and I felt it didn't pair well with my Focal Clear. I'm to old to be tinkering around with software and back door installs. Just want an efficient tinker free experience, decent audio wouldn't go a miss either!

Ok simple question, I think, can I install Qobuz stream and play imported albums offline with this Linux software? More importantly, easily?

I used Red Hat during the command line days but alas I'm mainly, well all really, MS Win10 these days. I guess it would have to use "wine" or the like to run Qobuz? .... I do have plenty digitised music but the ability to use streaming/imported would be a bonus.

Currently using Poly/Mojo sounds pretty good but I'm a bit fed up with Chord at the moment. If this competes or betters, to my old ears, i may sell PolyJo!
The QP2R can't install anything, it isn't an app enabled player. The DX200 was probably one of the best options for that. The Focal Clear isn't terrible to drive, so many players should suit. Give the FiiO X7ii a shot. That will do Qobuz. I've never been that into the FiiO sound, in general, but I haven't tried the X7ii in particular.

If you are looking for warmth in the sound and apps, the Cayin N5ii is an option. I haven't heard it either, but it is getting good reviews from good people.

If you just want a killer music player, stay right here and get a QP2R.

Feb 1, 2018 at 5:16 AM Post #407 of 1,225
Hey guys
New on this thread, recently tried iBasso DX200, returned it, not happy with software bugs mainly, and I felt it didn't pair well with my Focal Clear. I'm to old to be tinkering around with software and back door installs. Just want an efficient tinker free experience, decent audio wouldn't go a miss either!

Ok simple question, I think, can I install Qobuz stream and play imported albums offline with this Linux software? More importantly, easily?

I used Red Hat during the command line days but alas I'm mainly, well all really, MS Win10 these days. I guess it would have to use "wine" or the like to run Qobuz? .... I do have plenty digitised music but the ability to use streaming/imported would be a bonus.

Currently using Poly/Mojo sounds pretty good but I'm a bit fed up with Chord at the moment. If this competes or betters, to my old ears, i may sell PolyJo!

Welcome styks!

I'm not 100% sure I'm up to speed with your question. Streaming is not possible directly from the QP2R - it has no WiFi connectivity, just pure SD audio bliss! It is however possible to put it in DAC mode and hook it up via USB to a phone OTG or of course a PC at home. OTG similar to how you'd have been using the Mojo, pre Poly - I guess?

I hope your old ears would like it. To me Questyle's current mode amping is as special as Chord's FPGA DACs... :dt880smile:

Feb 1, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #408 of 1,225
Welcome styks!

I'm not 100% sure I'm up to speed with your question. Streaming is not possible directly from the QP2R - it has no WiFi connectivity, just pure SD audio bliss! It is however possible to put it in DAC mode and hook it up via USB to a phone OTG or of course a PC at home. OTG similar to how you'd have been using the Mojo, pre Poly - I guess?

I hope your old ears would like it. To me Questyle's current mode amping is as special as Chord's FPGA DACs... :dt880smile:
Excellent way to put it.

Feb 2, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #409 of 1,225
Welcome styks!

Thank you guys,
I feel a bit silly now. I could've at least read the specs before asking those questions!

I've decided for now to stick with PolyJo for a while. I think it's my best option for now, as irritating as it is! .... I just want an easy experience which polyJo is not.
I may be back, I'm contemplating leaving streaming to home only through my main system and get a good portable dedicated player like this or A&K 240.

Offline Qobuz is damned convenient though, always the USB OTG option I guess, but I'm back to stacking again ..... arrrh!
Bluetooth, but that's sacrilege. BT APTX if I'm desperate for imported offline music I don't own ...... But even so, could I shame myself?

I'll see how it goes. PolyJo wise for a little longer

Thank you for taking the time to answer! ....

Feb 26, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #410 of 1,225
Thought you'd all like to know that iFi IEMatch works to solve the hissing issue with low impedance high sensitivity IEMs that is common on Questyle devices. I had a joyous listen to the Noble Encore on the QP2R the other night using IEMatch 2.5mm.

Also, I compared the QP2R to the A&Ultima SP1000 Cu at Bristol Sound & Vision. QP2R is better sounding. The interface is much better on the SP1000. KANN was also bested. The comparisons were in single-ended with Audeze headphones (MX4 for SP1000 Cu, LCD-X for KANN).

Feb 26, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #411 of 1,225
Thought you'd all like to know that iFi IEMatch works to solve the hissing issue with low impedance high sensitivity IEMs that is common on Questyle devices. I had a joyous listen to the Noble Encore on the QP2R the other night using IEMatch 2.5mm.

Also, I compared the QP2R to the A&Ultima SP1000 Cu at Bristol Sound & Vision. QP2R is better sounding. The interface is much better on the SP1000. KANN was also bested. The comparisons were in single-ended with Audeze headphones (MX4 for SP1000 Cu, LCD-X for KANN).
Blind users think QP2r beats Ultima with UI as well.

Mar 1, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #413 of 1,225
How does the QP2R stack up against the QP1R, sound-wise?

Mar 2, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #414 of 1,225
How does the QP2R stack up against the QP1R, sound-wise?

These were my findings in single ended.

QP1R-> More low end, dynamics and intimate but smaller sound stage. Louder than QP2R.
QP2R-> More mid based. More referenced. Reverbs are bigger and longer.

To me the QP1R seems to be more “fun” to listen to and the QP2R more referenced. The QP2R has a bigger soundstage. This was tested on a HD800.

I only briefly tested the 2.5mm balanced with a 64 audio U18t IEM. It hissed a lot, but it seemed to have a clearer soundstage. You could really pinpoint instruments a lot better. So balanced with headphones should sound fantastic.

Mar 2, 2018 at 4:05 AM Post #415 of 1,225

Haven't heard the Qp2r, but I own the Qp1r and took a listen to the SP1000. The Astell &Kern sounds distinctly better than the 1r.

Mar 12, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #417 of 1,225

Good call on the IEMatch!

I must admit the hissing with my Encores never bothered me since it was audible only when music was not playing. However I decided to try the IEMatch for the hell of it and was pleasantly surprised at how well it got rid of the hissing. As an added bonus the color almost exactly matches that of my QP2R:dt880smile:.

Questyle should consider offering it with their unit.

Mar 13, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #418 of 1,225
I am looking for help on how to use QP2R's line out capability.

Update: My conclusion is that neither QP1R nor QP2R support a true "line out" that would avoid double amping.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #420 of 1,225
Depends. I prefer the Questyles standing alone vs QP, other DAPs or phone into MOJO. I don't think that coupling MOJO to a HiEnd dap, and the QPs are definitely HiEnd, is the Poly's best use. Best sonic way to use Poly is with an inferior DAP, phone or with it's sonically well matched Poly. If you're OK with single ended, the MOJO is as good as anything(depending on preference) when coupled to it's POLY but then, it's not nearly as friendly as a DAP, has less storage for the larger type files that matter etc. and you need 2 control points for that quality. It's controlled remotely via a phone but if you change volume from within a software upnp remote app, it noticeably reduces quality so it's best to use a remote control point to select files and then to use the local buttons on the unit itself for volume. 2 control points :triportsad: and it can be finicky to wifi couple for that control point.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back