Questyle QP2R
Jan 22, 2018 at 6:18 AM Post #391 of 1,225
Hi Darren,

In SE the QP1R is slightly louder. I listen to the HD800 a lot out of SE on the QP2R and get very decent results.
To clarify: are you saying that the SE output on the QP1R is more powerful than the SE output on the QP2R? Or are you saying that the SE output on the QP1R is more powerful than the balanced output on the QP2R.

Right now I'm assuming the former and not the latter.

Current mode amplification drives headphones it has no right by spec to drive. You've got to try it to know. With Questyle I've always find the price is high hiss with hiss prone IEMs, especially in balanced mode.

Jan 22, 2018 at 6:21 AM Post #392 of 1,225
To clarify: are you saying that the SE output on the QP1R is more powerful than the SE output on the QP2R? Or are you saying that the SE output on the QP1R is more powerful than the balanced output on the QP2R.

Current mode amplification drives headphones it has no right by spec to drive. You've got to try it to know. With Questyle I've always find the price is high hiss with hiss prone IEMs, especially in balanced mode.

Right now I'm assuming the former and not the latter - Correct. SE output on the QP1R is more powerful than the SE output on the QP2R.

Jan 22, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #393 of 1,225
Right now I'm assuming the former and not the latter - Correct. SE output on the QP1R is more powerful than the SE output on the QP2R.

I suppose it's worth noting that is on paper. As previously discussed volume matching is a tricky subject, but when I get a moment I could try an SE comparison, just to report back if there's an obvious volume difference on the same volume setting.

Jan 22, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #394 of 1,225

What I meant was that QP1R SE is more powerful
Than QP2R SE.

Jan 22, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #396 of 1,225
Thanks! It sounds really great as a 2- channel source. Battery operation directly from DC power is certainly an advantage over mains operated, the remote controls all functions as well.

I will place an order with our next shipment, which should be within the next month. I'm not sure on stock at Questyle but as I understand it they are available to order. HB2 price in the UK will be GBP 599. However, I will also offer a QP2R/HB2 package at GBP 1699 (QP2R alone is GBP 1199 here).
Also seems fair to me that existing QP2R owners (who purchased before its release) have the option of adding the HB2 at a preferential price - but that will be down to the discretion of each distributor/dealer. Best to get in touch with Canadian sources, as already suggested.
Thanks for the info. I have checked and it appears the dock is not yet avaliable in Canada. Having said that is it just me or does GBP 599 seem unreasonably high for a dock? Hoping retailers have flexibility to sell at a more reasonable price!

Jan 23, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #397 of 1,225
Thanks for the info. I have checked and it appears the dock is not yet avaliable in Canada. Having said that is it just me or does GBP 599 seem unreasonably high for a dock? Hoping retailers have flexibility to sell at a more reasonable price!

I agree, on the surface the dock seems a little expensive for an 'accessory'. However, as with all Questyle products, the finish is superb and the combination of QP2R/HB2 essentially means you don't necessarily need to spend any extra on a 2-channel home source. If I think about what type of 2 channel streamer/DAC system, with remote, GBP 1699 would buy me, the QP2R/HB2 still seems worth considering if I want to potentially cover my home/office/portable use with one product.

Jan 23, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #398 of 1,225
qYWFoeM.jpg

QP2R on top of our Questyle gold stack :)

The UE18+ with the 2.5mm balanced is just a personal favorite pairing with the QP2R for us!

Jan 23, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #399 of 1,225
qYWFoeM.jpg

QP2R on top of our Questyle gold stack :)

The UE18+ with the 2.5mm balanced is just a personal favorite pairing with the QP2R for us!
Fittingly bathed in a soft warm glow. UE18+ probably pairs as good as UERR. I love that pairing!

I'm glad you got stock! Now America can experience this beautiful sequel.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 6:47 AM Post #400 of 1,225
I, for one, will not stream; I will own.

Yikes, I take a little break from this thread and I come back to find you've all gone mad in the meantime (mad = busy posting).

I buy also, just don't want a £20 per month Tidal sub when I use my QP2R around the house, don't believe streaming via wi-fi is as good as playing directly from the player. I also manage to buy new CD's from £5 so they are good value. I have a McIntosh MCD1100 sacd player downstairs in my hi-fi system and I enjoy the loading of CD's. All the advantages of digital without the faff of LP's (used to own a LP12, don't miss it tbh). Sad maybe but I also enjoy the whole ripping, choosing of tracks and transferring to my QP2R process.

Jan 24, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #401 of 1,225
My Moon Audio Black Dragon Premium V2 5ft cable for my Utopias arrived on Monday, it's had two days burn-in 24/7 and sounds fantastic. I found the standard Focal Utopia cable far too long and unwieldy. Had to give up using my Utopias via the Balanced output on my QP2R as the new cable has a 1/4" jack but the SE output has plenty of power for the Utopias. Re power discussion, I was using a volume setting of 68 with the Balanced cable, 78 with SE. Would have liked to stay with Balanced but wasn't prepared to change cables twice a day, great way to end up damaging the Lemos on the Focal Utopias.

Jan 24, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #402 of 1,225
Jan 24, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #403 of 1,225
Jan 31, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #405 of 1,225
Hey guys
New on this thread, recently tried iBasso DX200, returned it, not happy with software bugs mainly, and I felt it didn't pair well with my Focal Clear. I'm to old to be tinkering around with software and back door installs. Just want an efficient tinker free experience, decent audio wouldn't go a miss either!

Ok simple question, I think, can I install Qobuz stream and play imported albums offline with this Linux software? More importantly, easily?

I used Red Hat during the command line days but alas I'm mainly, well all really, MS Win10 these days. I guess it would have to use "wine" or the like to run Qobuz? .... I do have plenty digitised music but the ability to use streaming/imported would be a bonus.

Currently using Poly/Mojo sounds pretty good but I'm a bit fed up with Chord at the moment. If this competes or betters, to my old ears, i may sell PolyJo!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back