Questyle CMA18 Portable DAC with Headphone Amplifier
Mar 21, 2024 at 5:00 AM Post #286 of 338
how do you know if a unit is firmware upgraded or not? by S/N?
Being in US, sending it back to upgrade in China is real expensive.

Just try to enable “Charge and Play” mode. If the firmware on your CMA18P is upgraded one, it will work.

HOW TO ENABLE:
To manually enable “Charge and Play” mode when connected to a USB playback device, long press the Function Button for approximately 4 seconds. The Battery Indicator lights will illuminate and flash, indicating the CMA18P is charging, and audio playback will continue uninterrupted.

Once turned on, this “Charge and Play” mode will remain active until the USB cable is disconnected. In other words, every time you switch USB playback devices, the CMA18P will default back into “Play Only” mode.

Mar 23, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #290 of 338
can the battery be bypassed, when connected to a laptop via usb? I fear the battery will die within 2-3 years, when used on a daily basis. Will it be replaceable by someone who is able to do this on a smartphone?

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #292 of 338
can the battery be bypassed, when connected to a laptop via usb? I fear the battery will die within 2-3 years, when used on a daily basis. Will it be replaceable by someone who is able to do this on a smartphone?
When I feed it a digital signal it appears to bypass the battery.

I’ll experiment with it a little bit more to get clarity.

Mar 23, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #293 of 338

the review confused me quiet a bit tbh. i was intending on going for it but mainly for iems, with the hiss issue mentioned to happen with sensitive iems,I am not quiet sure now. guess ill wait for more reviews and comparisons addressing iems more. It would be strange that it doesnt do well with iems since to me that is the most crucial target for a portable device. am i missing something here?

Mar 23, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #294 of 338
the review confused me quiet a bit tbh. i was intending on going for it but mainly for iems, with the hiss issue mentioned to happen with sensitive iems,I am not quiet sure now. guess ill wait for more reviews and comparisons addressing iems more. It would be strange that it doesnt do well with iems since to me that is the most crucial target for a portable device. am i missing something here?
I use mostly IEMs and out of all my IEMs I used with the Questyle CMA18 Portable I heard very faint hiss with the Legend Evo on High Gain and only when nothing was playing. It has no effect on Sound Quality when music is playing. I don't think it is anything to be concerned with. It certainly didn't stop my enjoyment of IEMs with the CMA18 Portable.

Mar 24, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #297 of 338
Working on a magnetic attachment system to my iPhone 15 PM right now but I’ll say that on std gain running ie900 on low volume the cma18 gets more warm than I’d want in my pocket. So not sure about attaching these two directly to one another yet.

Using 4.4mm out.

Mar 24, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #298 of 338
Working on a magnetic attachment system to my iPhone 15 PM right now but I’ll say that on std gain running ie900 on low volume the cma18 gets more warm than I’d want in my pocket. So not sure about attaching these two directly to one another yet.

Using 4.4mm out.
After a recommendation from @davidmolliere I bought this one:
https://amzn.eu/d/4vPymbW

Works perfectly in combination with my iPhone 15 and the CMA18P, which gets warm, but not hot. No problems so far putting these in my pocket!

Mar 24, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #299 of 338
Does anybody else has flimsy hold and gain switches that making noise when the amp is shaking or only my unit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back