Questyle CMA18 Portable DAC with Headphone Amplifier
Mar 24, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #301 of 338
I guess it's a design flow. Hope it won't brake over time.

Mar 24, 2024 at 7:15 PM Post #303 of 338
You can’t press any buttons when it’s on

Mar 26, 2024 at 10:22 AM Post #304 of 338
20240326_212953.jpg

20240326_213033.jpg

20240326_220159.jpg

20240326_214121.jpg

My CMA18P has arrived.
Contrary to my expectations, the unit is small and lightweight, fitting easily into my pants pocket.
I think it will be very handy for listening to music via Bluetooth outdoors.
As expected of a current-mode amplifier, it drives the Prestige LTD with ease and the sound quality is very impressive.
My first impressions are very pleasing.
I'll compare it to my XD05 BAL2 later.

Mar 26, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #305 of 338
Mar 27, 2024 at 7:19 AM Post #307 of 338
The CMA18 Portable is impressive.. It's not in the rarified air of a Hugo 2 but, it's close enough that I haven't used the Hugo 2 much since the CMA18 Portable landed.

I've had my CMA18 Portable for about 2 weeks now. I've tried it with the Unique Melody Multiverse Mentor, MEST MKII, Empire Ears Legend Evo, Fir Audio Xenon 6, 64 Audio U12t, FAudio Mezzo LE, Sony IER-Z1R, Meze Liric, and Sony MDR-Z1R.

I still have a few more IEMs to listen to... Thus far, I think it is a remarkable device.. I don't feel so bad that I missed out on the Questyle QPM now. The CMA18 Portable definitely caters to musical enjoyment and detail retrieval.
Could you please share some notes about how does CMA18 stack up against Cayin RU6 and Mojo in terms of sound quality???

Mar 28, 2024 at 8:59 AM Post #308 of 338
I tested the CMA18's battery in balanced mode with medium volume level on low gain. 5 hours from full to zero. Far away from advertised 10 hours.
Maybe 10 hours is for single ended mode, but can't be half of it for balanced. Is my battery bad? Does other owners have the same results? 5 hours to play and 3.5 hours to charge is very disappointing. It means, in year and a half it might go down to 2-3 hours.
Love the sound, by the way.

Mar 28, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #309 of 338
My understanding is that it was only the first batch sold in China that couldn't charge and play at the same time. I think with subsequent batches here - and the ones shipped overseas - they had updated the firmware to enable charge and play. Maybe @Questyle can confirm.
@someyoungguy @gto88 That's correct, only the first small batch of CMA18Ps that were released only in China did not have the charge & play function. Starting with the second batch, which began shipping internationally, this was resolved.

@OneEyedHito Unfortunately no, those lights cannot be switched off during operation.

can the battery be bypassed, when connected to a laptop via usb? I fear the battery will die within 2-3 years, when used on a daily basis. Will it be replaceable by someone who is able to do this on a smartphone?
@sofastreamer No, the battery cannot be bypassed in this model, unfortunately.

Questyle Audio Engineering Stay updated on Questyle Audio Engineering at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/questyleaudioeng @Questyle_Technology https://www.questyle.com info@questyle.com
Mar 29, 2024 at 3:25 AM Post #311 of 338
@someyoungguy @gto88 That's correct, only the first small batch of CMA18Ps that were released only in China did not have the charge & play function. Starting with the second batch, which began shipping internationally, this was resolved.

@OneEyedHito Unfortunately no, those lights cannot be switched off during operation.

@sofastreamer No, the battery cannot be bypassed in this model, unfortunately.
thank you for your reply and honest communication! much appreciated!

Mar 30, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #313 of 338
CMA18, love the design!
What do I think about the sound performance? Well, just a little patience please!
Just as great as the design ❤️‍🔥
This device is blowing my mind every time :100:

Best purchase in 2024 for sure and I don't expect anything to top the value for money!

Mar 31, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #315 of 338
Just as great as the design ❤️‍🔥
This device is blowing my mind every time :100:

Best purchase in 2024 for sure and I don't expect anything to top the value for money!
Same here... Literally, every IEM and Headphone I've plugged into the CMA18 Portable just gravitationally pulls me in to the music. Loving mine very much.

Can someone please try using the CMA-18P as a portable amp with balanced line-in from a TOTL DAP, and let us know if it improves on the DAP's amp stage?

@gLer, I will have to order a balanced aux cable but I will definitely test this out with my Sony NW-WM1ZM2. That sounds like an interesting use case and experiment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back